Can't use my Radeon when Voodoo3 is installed.

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Can't use my Radeon when Voodoo3 is installed.

Post by smf »

Hi.

My A4000 with mediator is equipted with two gfx cards, i have one Voodoo3 and a radeon card installed, both of them are working with OS4 when i have only one card installed but when both cards are inserted at the same time i can only use the Voodoo3.

I did read in the OS4.1 faq that dual monitors setups are not supported and i'm fine with that, the reason i have two gfx cards is that i want to run os3.x on the voodoo3 and use the Radeon for OS4 so i'm not asking for dual monitor support.
Can anyone help me? I'm ready to provide much more information instead of saying "not working" if there is any demand but for now i'm just checking if there is anyone with experience from a similar setup here. I realize that this setup might be a bit odd (aren't they all?) so getting help might not be so easy...

I did try to comment out the voodoo drivers in the kicklayout file but that resulted in that i could only use AGA screenmodes.
xenic

Re: Can't use my Radeon when Voodoo3 is installed.

Post by xenic »

smf wrote:I did try to comment out the voodoo drivers in the kicklayout file but that resulted in that i could only use AGA screenmodes.
I don't have a classic or 2 graphics boards but you might try leaving both drivers in kicklayout and opening SYS:Prefs/ScreenMode prefs 'Monitors' tab and see if both boards are in the radio gadget at the top. If they are you might try changing the board shown in the radio button and selecting 'use' or 'save'. You could also try dragging the Vodoo icon from SYS:Devs/Monitors to SYS:Storage and reboot.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

@xenic

I'm really unsure how to set this up, or if it's possible at all but it doesn't seems to matter how many monitor files i put into devs:monitors (or removes). I only have a board 0: in the Available Modes tab in screenmodes. I think that additional graphic boards are supposed to be named Board 1: Board 2: etc.

Attached to this message is a screenshot from my screenmode preferences showing lots of screenmodes for Board 0:
Attachments
screenmodes.png
xenic

Post by xenic »

smf wrote:@xenic

I'm really unsure how to set this up, or if it's possible at all but it doesn't seems to matter how many monitor files i put into devs:monitors (or removes). I only have a board 0: in the Available Modes tab in screenmodes. I think that additional graphic boards are supposed to be named Board 1: Board 2: etc.
I would think they would show up as Board1, Board2 etc. but as I said, I don't use a classic Amiga.
Attached to this message is a screenshot from my screenmode preferences showing lots of screenmodes for Board 0:
I think you see all those screenmodes because you have 'DDCMODE=all' set in your monitor tooltypes. Those are probably all the screenmodes your monitor is capable of displaying. I suggest you read the documentation at http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Workbench/Prefs/ScreenMode.

Hopefully this topic will get the attention of someone who knows more than I do about monitor settings.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

smf wrote:Hi.

My A4000 with mediator is equipted with two gfx cards, i have one Voodoo3 and a radeon card installed, both of them are working with OS4 when i have only one card installed but when both cards are inserted at the same time i can only use the Voodoo3.

I did read in the OS4.1 faq that dual monitors setups are not supported and i'm fine with that, the reason i have two gfx cards is that i want to run os3.x on the voodoo3 and use the Radeon for OS4 so i'm not asking for dual monitor support.
Can anyone help me? I'm ready to provide much more information instead of saying "not working" if there is any demand but for now i'm just checking if there is anyone with experience from a similar setup here. I realize that this setup might be a bit odd (aren't they all?) so getting help might not be so easy...

I did try to comment out the voodoo drivers in the kicklayout file but that resulted in that i could only use AGA screenmodes.
Can you clarify what you mean by you can only use the Voodoo3? If you have OS 4.1 saved and configured to use the Radeon, and then you reboot into OS 3.9, which is saved and configured to use the Voodoo 3, you are saying this doesn't work? I'm assuming you have VGA or DVI connected to different monitors or a switch box, or are switching the inputs on your Monitor. I don't see why this would not work.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

DarrenHD wrote:
Can you clarify what you mean by you can only use the Voodoo3? If you have OS 4.1 saved and configured to use the Radeon, and then you reboot into OS 3.9, which is saved and configured to use the Voodoo 3, you are saying this doesn't work? I'm assuming you have VGA or DVI connected to different monitors or a switch box, or are switching the inputs on your Monitor. I don't see why this would not work.

Darren
Hi DarrenHD, I can TRY to clarify atleast :) Please ask more questions if you need more information.

In OS3.9 i can use the Radeon or the voodoo3 but Voodoo3 is the best supported card so i use that one.
In OS4.1 i want to use the Radeon but all rtg screenmodes that gets listed are for the Voodoo and only garbage is displayed on the screen connected to the radeon.
If i remove the voodoo card from the computer i can use the Radeon in os4.1 but that is a little bit annoying ;)
If i remove the voodoo driver from the kicklayout but have both cards installed i only get AGA screenmodes.

I have tested several different arrangements of the cards but they all seems to behave the same.
Normaly i have both cards connected to the same monitor, the radeon over dvi and voodoo to vga but when i was struggeling with this the most they had their own separate monitor with vga.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

smf wrote:
DarrenHD wrote:

Darren
Hi DarrenHD, I can TRY to clarify atleast :) Please ask more questions if you need more information.

In OS3.9 i can use the Radeon or the voodoo3 but Voodoo3 is the best supported card so i use that one.
In OS4.1 i want to use the Radeon but all rtg screenmodes that gets listed are for the Voodoo and only garbage is displayed on the screen connected to the radeon.
If i remove the voodoo card from the computer i can use the Radeon in os4.1 but that is a little bit annoying ;)
If i remove the voodoo driver from the kicklayout but have both cards installed i only get AGA screenmodes.

I have tested several different arrangements of the cards but they all seems to behave the same.
Normaly i have both cards connected to the same monitor, the radeon over dvi and voodoo to vga but when i was struggeling with this the most they had their own separate monitor with vga.
Ok I think I get it. One possible thing you can try is to comment out the x86emu.resource (I think that's what it is called) from Kicklayout. That would be used to initialize the Radeon bios. I don't believe the Voodoo requires it.

Has the Radeon card ever worked in OS 4.1 ? Eg. if the Voodoo was removed from the computer.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

commenting out the x86emu.resource doesn't help at all since it stops the Radeon from being initialized, just like you said :)

Yes the radeon card works just fine in OS4 if i don't have the Voodoo3 card installed, i actually have two different radeon cards to test with and they both works just fine as long as i don't have the voodoo3 installed. (there's just garbage on the Radeon monitor and the voodoo3 displays just fine.)

What bothers me is, if you look at the screenshot from screenmode prefs a few posts earlier is that both cards are identified as Board:0, they should be identified as board:0 and :1, shouldn't they? I have double entries of all screenmodes with both cards installed but they all use the voodoo. if the radeon is removed i only get one entry of every screenmode.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

smf wrote:commenting out the x86emu.resource doesn't help at all since it stops the Radeon from being initialized, just like you said :)

Yes the radeon card works just fine in OS4 if i don't have the Voodoo3 card installed, i actually have two different radeon cards to test with and they both works just fine as long as i don't have the voodoo3 installed. (there's just garbage on the Radeon monitor and the voodoo3 displays just fine.)

What bothers me is, if you look at the screenshot from screenmode prefs a few posts earlier is that both cards are identified as Board:0, they should be identified as board:0 and :1, shouldn't they? I have double entries of all screenmodes with both cards installed but they all use the voodoo. if the radeon is removed i only get one entry of every screenmode.
I think it is supposed to behave that way, board:0 and board:1, etc...but I just don't think it's supported in the kernel to support two PCI graphic cards like that, unfortunately.
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

Thats sad if they can not even be inserted into the computer without interfering with each other. Thanks for you'r reply, i'll give up my attempts for now and try to find the best 1gfx card setup for my needs. The decision would be so much simpler if there were Radeon W3d drivers for os3.9 :)