Is it possible to configure cybppc.device scsi speed?

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
patrik

Is it possible to configure cybppc.device scsi speed?

Post by patrik »

Hi,

I am another one with CSPPC scsi problems. The scsi chain is correctly terminated and there is good termination power available. Have tried other cables, drives etc with the same result.

Something is obviously wrong and I accept that, however, by looking at the kernel.debug output, it looks like it will always set the interface speed to 20MHz/50ns synchronous:
cybppc.device: target 0 now synchronous, period=50ns, offset=14

As there obviously is an issue with something, it would be great if there was a way to turn down the scsi settings from 11. Being able to lower the speed to say 10MHz, setting it to asynchronous or setting the width to narrow etc could very likely make the interface useable.

I have tried changing the CSPPC boot menu settings (didn't really expect that to make a difference as this is a completely different driver) and unsetting the RDB synch flag on the drive (actually did expect that to work), but nothing have made any difference. Was thrilled when I found SYS:Kickstart/cybppc.config, but confusingly it has nothing to do with the actual hardware and only lets you change buffer settings?

So would be thrilled if anyone knows anything more about changing the scsi settings.

Regards,
Patrik
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Is it possible to configure cybppc.device scsi speed?

Post by DarrenHD »

patrik wrote:Hi,

I am another one with CSPPC scsi problems. The scsi chain is correctly terminated and there is good termination power available. Have tried other cables, drives etc with the same result.

Something is obviously wrong and I accept that, however, by looking at the kernel.debug output, it looks like it will always set the interface speed to 20MHz/50ns synchronous:
cybppc.device: target 0 now synchronous, period=50ns, offset=14

As there obviously is an issue with something, it would be great if there was a way to turn down the scsi settings from 11. Being able to lower the speed to say 10MHz, setting it to asynchronous or setting the width to narrow etc could very likely make the interface useable.

I have tried changing the CSPPC boot menu settings (didn't really expect that to make a difference as this is a completely different driver) and unsetting the RDB synch flag on the drive (actually did expect that to work), but nothing have made any difference. Was thrilled when I found SYS:Kickstart/cybppc.config, but confusingly it has nothing to do with the actual hardware and only lets you change buffer settings?

So would be thrilled if anyone knows anything more about changing the scsi settings.

Regards,
Patrik
Patrik, as far as I know there is no way to change the speed settings. The AmigaOS 4.x cybppc.device does not use the settings in the phase-5 menu, as you have found out. All you can do is modify the settings file. I have several CS PPC systems with SCSI and they all work fine. The only one that doesn't is my overclocked CS PPC. The two CS PPC's that are not overclocked work fine with SCSI drives and 3.9 and 4.1 FE. If you can get it working correctly under OS 3.9 and have your cabling and termination correct then it should work on AmigaOS 4.x Classic/FE. But as you probably know SCSI is very picky and everything has to be setup correctly. And I gather some drives just don't like to work no matter what you do.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
patrik

Post by patrik »

The SCSI works running 20MHz wide in both in OS3.x and MorphOS 1.4.5, so apparently the phase5 driver is much more resilient and/or does something in another way which makes it better at coping with variations in hardware.

The driver in OS4.x usually locks up very early during the boot for me, so the level of how well it works is another dimension.

Just to clarify it again: I know something is wrong with my hardware, but it is nothing obvious and it works with the phase5 driver. Nothing obvious as in I have tried several different harddrive, cable and termination combinations and variations.

As the OS4.x driver seems to be rather picky, wouldn't it be a reasonable thing to be able to configure what speed it attempts to operate at to increase the percentage of CSPPC-equipped machines that can actually boot OS4.x?
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

patrik wrote:The SCSI works running 20MHz wide in both in OS3.x and MorphOS 1.4.5, so apparently the phase5 driver is much more resilient and/or does something in another way which makes it better at coping with variations in hardware.

The driver in OS4.x usually locks up very early during the boot for me, so the level of how well it works is another dimension.

Just to clarify it again: I know something is wrong with my hardware, but it is nothing obvious and it works with the phase5 driver. Nothing obvious as in I have tried several different harddrive, cable and termination combinations and variations.

As the OS4.x driver seems to be rather picky, wouldn't it be a reasonable thing to be able to configure what speed it attempts to operate at to increase the percentage of CSPPC-equipped machines that can actually boot OS4.x?
I don't know if that is possible or not, but I also am not aware of many problems with it. Obviously you are having a problem :(. I have tested 3 different CS PPC's and (other than my one that is overclocked) all of them worked fine. So I'm not sure what is going on with your setup. Even my overclocked one was able to boot, it just randomly froze. The non-overclocked CS PPC's were all fine.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!