Classic Memory Limits in Emulation

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Elowan

Re: Classic Memory Limits in Emulation

Post by Elowan »

hi,

I just got 32MB RAM assigned, one Module.. but no working.

On Picasso VideoCard, I can not get a high enough Res (I am on an 27" Monitor 2560x1440), this is why I switched this in WinUAE a while ago (I think
as the support was added in beta)
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Elowan
I just got 32MB RAM assigned, one Module.. but no working.
You do something wrong. Use my config as full reference. Double check every single option so it will be the same as my one. Reinstall everyhing from scratch. Be sure you use last enough winuae as well. Be sure its cyberstrom , SCSI , etc , etc. Be sure you don't tick options which may or may not work. As Toni says, seting up os4 emulation in winaue is not very user friendly, but with config i attach previously you can double check everything and repeat the same settings just with your hardfiles. Winuae are emulator, so if it works for all of us, it should and will work for you once you setup everything correctly. Double check you didnt' turn on JIT, recheck if all that ROM options are in place. Winuae done for os3 emulation in first place, so some options will just crash emulator under os4, or just doing nothing, thats why i send my config, which is 100% prove to be working. Use it as full reference.
On Picasso VideoCard, I can not get a high enough Res (I am on an 27" Monitor 2560x1440), this is why I switched this in WinUAE a while ago (I think
as the support was added in beta)
What i mean, is that you install FE with Picasso, then add euae video drivers, then install update1 , then add necessary option to kernel, and only then, add one Z3 ram module of 128mb , for tests.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Well, thanks you all for support - I will go thru the settings one by one, just to verify.
I will use your config for reference, as you suggested
headkase

Post by headkase »

The relaxed memory limits of Update 1 work perfectly for myself. Thank you to the developers.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

man, I hope to tell the same... but still no luck, getting additional ram working.

last resort would be a total new install, but AFAIR it was a real pain, to setup and install it in Win-UAE.. like 50. steps to go thru or maybe even more...
I wish, I had the time to do this
headkase

Post by headkase »

Elowan wrote:man, I hope to tell the same... but still no luck, getting additional ram working.

last resort would be a total new install, but AFAIR it was a real pain, to setup and install it in Win-UAE.. like 50. steps to go thru or maybe even more...
I wish, I had the time to do this
I had no luck with WinUAE 3.4.0. I just can't get that to work. I'll try again with WinUAE 3.4.1 when that comes out of beta. Right now I'm using a portable version of WinUAE 3.3.0 64-bit. The 64-bit is important. The portable version of WinUAE 3.3.0 I've put together works flawlessly as far as I have seen though, perhaps you could try that version?

To make WinUAE portable create an empty file called "winuae.ini" without the quotes in the same folder as the WinUAE executable. Set up your paths to your configurations and such. In portable mode those paths are relative so if everything is within your portable folder then once you have it all working you can zip up the folder and boom, turn-key system for the future when you unzip it.

Edit: 64-bit is important because on the Windows side of things the 32-bit version of WinUAE cannot allocate memory from Windows to properly do larger amounts of RAM in the emulated environment. If WinUAE crashes when you open file selection dialog boxes then you probably have a bad right-click context menu extension that wasn't written properly. That's not WinUAE's fault - it follows the 64-bit file dialog to the letter, it's the other extensions like AVG that don't.

Edit2: And if you have a bad explorer menu extension then use ShellExView to disable the non-Windows extensions until you find the culprit. You can then re-enable properly written extensions and just leave the bad one disabled. If you have AVG Anti-virus installed then disable that one first as it is confirmed to be one of the buggy extensions.
Last edited by headkase on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
headkase

Post by headkase »

Two important settings in your configuration: on the 68k side of things JIT must be disabled otherwise it messes up the memory layout when you get to PPC mode. Also, your total RAM allocation must come in at 1GB or less. The settings I'm using are 128MB Cyberstorm, 768MB Z3. Any more than that and the system freezes.

Edit: Attached is my configuration (7 zipped). Don't use it verbatim, just look at the settings. The four things you need to add to it for yourself are the Cyberstorm PPC ROM, the Amiga 3.1 A4000 Kickstart ROM, the installed hard file image of AmigaOS 4.1FE U1, and optionally the Picasso IV ROM. I'm not using the Picasso IV ROM. I installed in AGA mode and post-installation set up UAE graphics for 1920x1080 24-bit colour.

Edit2: The boot hard disk file can be about a maximum of 3900MB. Any larger than that and you will run into problems when you try to install AmigaOS 4.1FE (before you even get to the update). Note your drive order for the configuration inside of WinUAE. During installation your CD mapped image must be unit 0. If a hard disk file is a lower unit than the CD drive then the system will try to boot from the hard drive and throw a "non-DOS" error and you are unable to continue. During installation, CD image is unit 0. After installation in my config you will see that I made the hard disk unit 0 and the CD unit 1, post-installation change. You can create additional hard disk files and they can be larger sizes, I had an 8GB one that worked fine, but as you can also see in my configuration I mapped a Windows folder to DH1: in emulation. Other settings in the configuration ensure that works as intended. This makes it easy to move files back and forth between your emulated Amiga and the host Windows file-system. Just put your Windows files in the folder or copy your Amiga files out of it.

Edit3: Here is a Guide I wrote a while back. That linked post has SFS\0 instructions for the Smart File System. It's better than Fast File System in emulated systems. The files, like the monitor file that allows you to use UAE graphics in the emulated system, are an attachment in the first post. The first post installs in FFS instead of SFS. The overall tasks are pretty well the same you just need to make changes to them considering you're actually installing a A4000 Cyberstorm PPC system instead of a A1200 Blizzard PPC system. I wrote that guide a good while back now, with Update 1 Cyberstorm PPC is now the best hardware to emulate. Once installing on 3.4.1+ works for myself then I will likely write an updated full-guide revolving around that configuration.

Edit4: Don't run AmiUpdate to get Update 1. The emulated PPC doesn't have enough pre-U1 memory for AmiUpdate to do it properly. Instead, download Update 1 from your Downloads area, put it in the shared folder, extract it either from Windows (7-zip works) or in the Amiga environment, and run it from there. That works fine with only 128MB of Cyberstorm RAM.
Attachments
Amiga OS 4.1.7z
My Configuration
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hey, thanks a lot for your advice!

So I dl WIn-Uae 3.3.0 x64 and tweaked my config to look like yours, except of the path to rom and files.
I unpacked the update 1 lha "in amiga system" not on windows.

Update installes without error or problem. after prompt for reset, I did uncheck the dialog and let win uae do the restart - boom pinky screen and OS4.1
does not boot, just like so many times before...

If I won´t be a fan, I´d toseds the CD into the trash already and never install this again!

man, that so frustrating.. yopu guy do you best to help and I always break my emulator - sorry, but I am totally tierd of this :cry:
headkase

Post by headkase »

You're welcome. I hope you eventually get it going. Keep in mind the portable advice for WinUAE: Once you do have it working then you can 7zip the folder and have a future turn-key system.

Edit: You can also try FS-UAE. That uses the WinUAE code for accurate emulation and also supports other platforms than just Windows - which WinUAE only supports. FS-UAE configuration often drops down to editing text configuration files rather than everything through a GUI but it does run OS4.1FE so you could try it.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

headkase wrote:You're welcome. I hope you eventually get it going. Keep in mind the portable advice for WinUAE: Once you do have it working then you can 7zip the folder and have a future turn-key system.

Edit: You can also try FS-UAE. That uses the WinUAE code for accurate emulation and also supports other platforms than just Windows - which WinUAE only supports. FS-UAE configuration often drops down to editing text configuration files rather than everything through a GUI but it does run OS4.1FE so you could try it.

last time I checked, FS-UAE was lots slower, when emulating an A1200 with OS 3.9 installed to it. Can only imagine, it would be too slow, when running 4.1 ppc with it.