Classic Memory Limits in Emulation

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
headkase

Re: Classic Memory Limits in Emulation

Post by headkase »

Elowan wrote:
headkase wrote:Edit: You can also try FS-UAE. That uses the WinUAE code for accurate emulation and also supports other platforms than just Windows - which WinUAE only supports. FS-UAE configuration often drops down to editing text configuration files rather than everything through a GUI but it does run OS4.1FE so you could try it.
last time I checked, FS-UAE was lots slower, when emulating an A1200 with OS 3.9 installed to it. Can only imagine, it would be too slow, when running 4.1 ppc with it.
The author of FS-UAE is responsible for the UAE-QEMU plugin which provides the PowerPC emulation for both FS-UAE and WinUAE. That emulation runs as fast as possible. In emulation it doesn't try to hit any specific clock-speed-equivalent, it just goes and goes and goes.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Elowan
You still do something wrong. I mean, hundreds of users use winuae + os4.1 update 1 with z3 ram, and only you can't deal with. Yes, set it all correctly a bit not easy, but not _THAT_ hard. Maybe your PC just broken ? Maybe your windows have some strange settings ? Maybe you use 64 bit version on 32 bit version, or maybe you have very old XP or something ? For example you write :
So I dl WIn-Uae 3.3.0 x64 and tweaked my config to look like yours, except of the path to rom and files.
What version you use before ? What your windows is ?

You shouldn't "tweak" configs we send you. You should just use them fully. Not open them somewhere and copy only options you think you should copy, but instead just use fully our configs, in which, only change local-agnostic settings such as pathes to roms, hardfiles,etc.

Anyway, if you follow our advices you should have it all working already. Probably you just not follow step by step. Also, if you want to deal with, you may start with enabling logs, read them, ask Tony on eab, provide him logs, etc, etc. But it all should be classificied in normal concrete questions, with full step by step guides how and what you do _EXACTLY_, not just "it didn't works and crashes, wtf ! crap!" :) Maybe make a video and upload somewhere with every single window of winuae settings, so everyone will see what you do.

How it can be, that everyone else have it working, but you have problems ? Maybe you _STILL_ use some other settings instead of those ones we provide in our configs ? Maybe you use some broken roms for cyberstorm ? Maybe you not use CyberStorm but instead Blizzard ppc ? Maybe you still enable some other option which didn't in our configs ?

You can deal with it all, once you will erase everything. Then, step by step, write exactly what you do and how. Note everything. Then maybe someone can help you.

If you feel its not for you and too hard, don't bother then :)
headkase

Post by headkase »

kas1e wrote:You shouldn't "tweak" configs we send you. You should just use them fully. Not open them somewhere and copy only options you think you should copy, but instead just use fully our configs, in which, only change local-agnostic settings such as pathes to roms, hardfiles,etc.
I specifically asked that he look at my existing config to get an idea of what he should make as his own.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

headkase wrote: I specifically asked that he look at my existing config to get an idea of what he should make as his own.
And probably that was wrong :) As if he can't deal with ready to use configs with simply changing local things such as roms/kickstarts/hardfiles and play with just z3 memory (i.e. to set a little, a bit more, etc), then asking him to make his own configs will be a loooot harder :)
headkase

Post by headkase »

kas1e wrote:
headkase wrote: I specifically asked that he look at my existing config to get an idea of what he should make as his own.
And probably that was wrong :) As if he can't deal with ready to use configs with simply changing local things such as roms/kickstarts/hardfiles and play with just z3 memory (i.e. to set a little, a bit more, etc), then asking him to make his own configs will be a loooot harder :)
The reason I said to look at my config is because I changed settings depending on where I was in the installation process. Not major changes but enough that the final config would have issues in earlier steps.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hello and thanks for advise and useful hints!

maybe I was not clear on my postings:

by "tweaking" the sended configs, I meant, I adapted the right "paths" in the settings, which is necessary for Win UAE to find the roms.
I even did a new config and compared every litlle setting with the ones you folks are sending/suggesting.

I am not using any blizzard roms, but a cyberstorm for ppc needs. this rom works 100% with 4.1FE, the pink screen occures only after updating.
So I assume, this rom file does it´s job and there must be something fishy with my 4.1FE install.

Regarding WinUAE: I tried a 3.x public beta version before, then I DL the latest (3.4 AFAIR), then switched back to 3.3, because headkase suggested this!

I know a little bit, regarding computers and stuff - for about 30 years now. But this one issue is the only one, that seems to be hard to solve (for me).
Really, I usually solved every problem I encountered or at least I have no hard time in understanding, where the problem is!

But in this case - wow, I got no idea. I can not do more than provide a working config and install that update to 4.1, right?
I mean, even by chance I should have already get a working config somehow, without follwing any guides, becasue I tried like 100 different settings ;)

So I assume, my 4.1FE install must be broken somehow and if the update finishes (without any hints to errors or issues) the problem
with my 4.1 install shows up.

This leaves me with only one more option: a new install of 4.1FE, which I wanted to avoid - because I was thinking, there must be only "one little switch"
wrong in my config - and after finding it, I do not have to re-install everything from scratch. But it turns out, to be the only option left, now.

@headkase
maybe I wait for your new guide to be finished, so I can follow it 100% and be sure to make no mistakes!

kind regards
Benny

Post by Benny »

headkase wrote:Two important settings in your configuration: on the 68k side of things JIT must be disabled otherwise it messes up the memory layout when you get to PPC mode. Also, your total RAM allocation must come in at 1GB or less. The settings I'm using <cut>

Edit4: Don't run AmiUpdate to get Update 1. The emulated PPC doesn't have enough pre-U1 memory for AmiUpdate to do it properly. Instead, download Update 1 from your Downloads area, put it in the shared folder, extract it either from Windows (7-zip works) or in the Amiga environment, and run it from there. That works fine with only 128MB of Cyberstorm RAM.
Wasn't this an Amiupdate bug ?

In the prefs of Amiupdate 2.43 there is an option to 'keep downloaded archives' and to 'Store archives and update here:'. The last one has the root assigned on my harddrive.

But with my 128MB ram on my BLizzardPPC I get the logically error that Update1 can't unpack, but the archive is also gone, gone from RAM: instead of my harddrive...