Workbench 3.1 (40.43) & Kickstart 3.1 (40.72)

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Hanzu

Workbench 3.1 (40.43) & Kickstart 3.1 (40.72)

Post by Hanzu »

Very nice for you to sell these! I was happy to buy and have the first official Kickstart for my A4000T that includes workbench.library and equally happy that now same Kickstart can be used for A500 and A600.

Could you please split the following files for EEPROM use and include also the splitted versions to the download section:
kick.a1200.40.72.rom
kick.a3000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000t.40.72.rom

Without them splitted, this is very emulator specific and not hardware specific at all and a bit misleading for customers. Not all know how to do split .rom images.

Also in the news section it would be better marketing to change the word "image" to the word "images" to specify you will not get one image that suits all models but actually 5 or 6 (including Kickstart 1.3.3) images. I mean this sentence:

"The Kickstart 3.1 (40.72) image is the first test release and can written to EEPROM chips for use in real Amiga computers or used with Amiga emulation software. It contains the following new components:"
A4000cr Rev D+CSPPC 233/66MHz 060+16MB 50ns+128MB 60ns+Plextor SCSI-3 CDRW+Adaptec SCSI to SATA adapter+OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 90GB+Mediator 4000 MK II+Radeon 9250 256MB +RTL8029+Terratec TTSOLO1-SL VER1.2+ZorRAM 256MB+DF0:-DF3:+Catweasel MK2 Anniversary+Indivision AGA MK II+OS3.9 & OS 4.1. RTL8139D & Terratec TT801-QD for OS3.9 only
thomasrapp

Re: Workbench 3.1 (40.43) & Kickstart 3.1 (40.72)

Post by thomasrapp »

I wonder if they even tested it.

So far:

- the Workbench disk is not bootable
- HDToolbox crashes when reading the geometry from the HDD (probably it is scsi.device which crashes because the HDSetup script crashes, too)
- the installer copies the Install disk into the fonts directory rather than the Fonts disk.
mia

Post by mia »

It does say "first test release"

I have found a few issues:

The FONTS: bug is because the floppy is called FONTS: as well, so the "assign" exists to the installer - it then copies the files from df0: as instructed, but from the wrong disk.

ClickToFront commodity runs but does not do it's function.

You cannot set bullet fonts to the workbench - after reset workbench is black - delete ENVARC:sys/font.prefs to make it work again.

I can't find "Installer" in C or Utilities?

-----------------

FS-UAE has no problems with any of the Devs/Monitors any more - I previously had some issues with some monitors - they are all working now.

It seems to run faster - maybe this is my imagination, but a benchmark shows that the CPU is running faster (not sure if this is 3.9 v's 3.1 issue).

It's also really lovely to have this release/update - so, thank you very much :-)

M
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

mia wrote:ClickToFront commodity runs but does not do it's function.
Have you checked which qualifier keys are set as default in the tooltypes of ClickToFront? I seem to remember that it used to require you to hold down an Alt key while clicking.

Best regards,

Niels
Olaf Barthel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Olaf Barthel »

Hanzu wrote:Very nice for you to sell these! I was happy to buy and have the first official Kickstart for my A4000T that includes workbench.library and equally happy that now same Kickstart can be used for A500 and A600.

Could you please split the following files for EEPROM use and include also the splitted versions to the download section:
kick.a1200.40.72.rom
kick.a3000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000t.40.72.rom

Without them splitted, this is very emulator specific and not hardware specific at all and a bit misleading for customers. Not all know how to do split .rom images.
We talked about providing ready-made ROM files, in all variations, suitable with EPROMS and EEPROMs. It might just happen as you suggested :)
Olaf Barthel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Olaf Barthel »

thomasrapp wrote:I wonder if they even tested it.

So far:

- the Workbench disk is not bootable
- HDToolbox crashes when reading the geometry from the HDD (probably it is scsi.device which crashes because the HDSetup script crashes, too)
- the installer copies the Install disk into the fonts directory rather than the Fonts disk.
It was tested, but (obviously) more testing would have been needed :(

Thank you for pointing out the shortcomings of the Workbench disk set!

The Workbench disk is now bootable, and the Installer manages to copy the contents of the Fonts disk where they are supposed to go. Seems that no good deed goes unpunished, because the Installer failing to copy the contents of the Fonts disk was a side-effect of making the installation script cope better with assignments, rather than always insisting that different disks be inserted for the installation to proceed.

The revised installation script now takes precautions to ask for the Fonts disk to be inserted if what currently is found in "Fonts:" looks unsuitable.

The "HDToolbox" and "prodprep" (which is what the Installer script for setting up the hard disk uses) problems are difficult to resolve. We just ran out of time to create "safe" versions of these tools which at the very least would consistently set up hard disks and partitioning schemes that would work with the file system and hard disk drivers. As things stand today, "HDToolbox" and "prodprep" suffer from the same limitations as they did in 1993. Work is underway to resolve these problems.

An updated Workbench disk set (bootable "Workbench3.1" disk, installation script now copes with "Fonts" disk) has just been released. Check your downloads again, please.
Olaf Barthel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Olaf Barthel »

mia wrote:It does say "first test release"

I have found a few issues:

The FONTS: bug is because the floppy is called FONTS: as well, so the "assign" exists to the installer - it then copies the files from df0: as instructed, but from the wrong disk.
The installation script would copy what the FONTS: assignment would point to, even if you had inserted the Fonts disk. In this case, the FONTS: assignment was bound to the "Install3.1" disk itself.

This problem has been resolved, and an updated disk set is available for download right now.
ClickToFront commodity runs but does not do it's function.
Please check the icon tool types: by default "ClickToFront" is set up to require that you hold down the left "Alt" key when clicking into a window.
You cannot set bullet fonts to the workbench - after reset workbench is black - delete ENVARC:sys/font.prefs to make it work again.
Because of the installation script bug, which resulted in the contents of the "Install3.1" disk to be copied into what was supposed to be the "Fonts" drawer of the volume to be installed, not a single font was copied. This includes (or rather "excludes") the Bullet fonts, too, which were not installed.

The updated installation script now copies the "Fonts" disk correctly and prompts for the disk if needed.
I can't find "Installer" in C or Utilities?
The installation script does not copy the Installer program itself, but it makes good sense to copy it, too.

If you need to find it, please check the root directory of the "Install3.1" disk.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

Olaf Barthel wrote:
Hanzu wrote:Very nice for you to sell these! I was happy to buy and have the first official Kickstart for my A4000T that includes workbench.library and equally happy that now same Kickstart can be used for A500 and A600.

kick.a1200.40.72.rom
kick.a3000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000t.40.72.rom

We talked about providing ready-made ROM files, in all variations, suitable with EPROMS and EEPROMs. It might just happen as you suggested :)
ah great because without 'real' ROMS this update is useless for me unfortunately
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

Hanzu wrote:
kick.a1200.40.72.rom
kick.a3000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000.40.72.rom
kick.a4000t.40.72.rom

I agree, in the meantime you could do it from your X1000.
There is a tool called Remus somewhere on the net that can split a single 512kb file into the Hi & Low file. (and lots of other featues) and also a tool called Rombo on os4depot that makes it easy to double the size of the kickstart if needed.
There was some problems running remus on os4.1 with hardcoded paths etc but iirc it was just about making the files available where remus wanted them to make it run. I notified the autohor about the problem and got a fixed version but i don't know if it's been released yet.
I have built lots of custom roms this way.
Banstyx555

Post by Banstyx555 »

Workbench 3.1 (40.43) Where can I get this? I see the news announcement but I cant find a way to get a copy?