2nd IDE cable + CDROM

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
spud

2nd IDE cable + CDROM

Post by spud »

Trying to set up a nice A4000D AOS4.1 FE classic system.
Recapped Amiga 4000D with ATX PSU, 16 MB fast, 2 MB chip, Kick 3.1
CSPPC + 128MB
Mediator 4000Di MKiii 3,3 v
Bigramplus 256 MB
Highway USB
Voodoo3 3000
RTL8029 NIC

I installed it it with CF HDD and CDROM both on primary IDE. But now that it's installed I want a slimline CDROM that only works as master on a secundary IDE cable. I have an unbuffered IDE splitter: http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php ... rerid=4515 which implememts this logic: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/4IDE and it works fine with IDEfix software in AOS3.9.

I don't get it to work.
After some more research it appears that in the "Sys:Kickstart/KickLayout-A4000" I had to remove the leading semicolon on the line:
"MODULE Kickstart/A1200/ATAPIismajik" But it appeared already to be uncommented. It doesn't matter whether I keep IDEfix commented or uncomment it in the startup-sequence, the CDROM on the second IDE doesn't work.

How do I proceed, can I simply install the AOS3.x version of IDEFIX?? Or do I have to get it to work differently. I believe a CDfilesystem is already installed with AOS4.1 out of the box right?

Thanks!!
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: 2nd IDE cable + CDROM

Post by smf »

spud wrote:Trying to set up a nice A4000D AOS4.1 FE classic system.

After some more research it appears that in the "Sys:Kickstart/KickLayout-A4000" I had to remove the leading semicolon on the line:
"MODULE Kickstart/A1200/ATAPIismajik" But it appeared already to be uncommented. It doesn't matter whether I keep IDEfix commented or uncomment it in the startup-sequence, the CDROM on the second IDE doesn't work.

How do I proceed, can I simply install the AOS3.x version of IDEFIX?? Or do I have to get it to work differently. I believe a CDfilesystem is already installed with AOS4.1 out of the box right?

Thanks!!
MODULE Kickstart/A1200/ATAPIismajik"
Is this a typo or did you mean "MODULE Kickstart/A4000/ATAPIismajik" or did you change the wrong kickstartfile?

I only use the scsi on the CSPPC (and i don't even have a cdrom-reader) so i don't know how to fix this if this does not help, but yeah, there is no need to install any cdfilesystem.
spud

Post by spud »

Yes, sorry it's a typo. I meant the correct A4000 line not the A1200 line.
spud

Post by spud »

The only way I got this to finally work was simply installing IDEfix97. But it was my impression that I shouldn't have to do this since AOS4.1 comes with IDEsplitter support out of the box....