Amiga OS4.1 Classic on Blizzard PPC - installation freezes

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
kreciu

Amiga OS4.1 Classic on Blizzard PPC - installation freezes

Post by kreciu »

Hi. I just got Blizzard PPC and I'm trying to install AmigaOS4.1. Computer will boot from floppy and load new Kickstart but when it gets to Amiga OS 4.1 screen it will stop there. My Amiga is with Mediator and Radeon + LAN, Spider, FastATAV. I left Radeon only and I have to same issue. Under OS3.9 things work fine with WarpOS and it looks like PPC works fine.

Could you please help me to solve this strange issue?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Amiga OS4.1 Classic on Blizzard PPC - installation freez

Post by nbache »

I have sometimes seen this on my A12k/BlizzardPPC/BVision (with the system already installed), where it could be solved by doing a warm reset (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga). Could you try that?

Also, how much RAM do you have installed?

Best regards,

Niels
kreciu

Post by kreciu »

nbache wrote:I have sometimes seen this on my A12k/BlizzardPPC/BVision (with the system already installed), where it could be solved by doing a warm reset (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga). Could you try that?

Also, how much RAM do you have installed?

Best regards,

Niels
Hello Niels.

Issue is "solved". I still can't boot from floppy and do regular installation (no matter what/how I connect HDD/DVD-rom), but I think I found "walk around" that actually worked for me and I installed OS4.1 successfully.

Only problem remains is that after installation I need to disconnect my DVD-ROM to actually boot AmigaOS4.1(?!), if HDD and DVD-rom are connected they will not show in early boot menu. I had this issue before, but when I install AmigaOS3.9 there is no issues with this at all.

Main problem during installation appears to be FastATA, when I used 4xEide it "worked" (not regular installation with floppy), but then Startup-Sequence of OS4.1 have FastATA "turn on" by default, so I needed to edit SS. Later when I switched back to FastATA I needed to edit SS to see FastATA and it actually work.

Really strange issue.

I have 256 Ram and under OS3.9 this computer is really nice.

Now, I have another issue. My Realtek LAN is not detected at all under AmigaOS4.1.

This is VERY disappointing considering OS3.9 really have not HW problems.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kreciu wrote:Issue is "solved". I still can't boot from floppy and do regular installation (no matter what/how I connect HDD/DVD-rom), but I think I found "walk around" that actually worked for me and I installed OS4.1 successfully.
Good. Will you tell us what your workaround was (for the sake of future readers)?
I have 256 Ram and under OS3.9 this computer is really nice.
Okay, just wanted to make sure you had "enough", but you have more than me (192), so that should be fine :-).
Now, I have another issue. My Realtek LAN is not detected at all under AmigaOS4.1.

This is VERY disappointing considering OS3.9 really have not HW problems.
I'm not sure about this - is that via a Mediator board or something? I don't have a busboard in my A1k2. For network, I just use a PCMCIA Ethernet card. But I believe some other users/beta testers have them and can maybe tell more.

But in general: You can't necessarily expect drivers to have been written for OS4 for every piece of hardware which was once usable under OS 3.9. Every driver has to be written by someone, and normally that someone needs a specimen of the hardware in question as a minimum for testing. And even then, this would be a vast effort, and in most cases for very few users, if any.

Best regards,

Niels
kreciu

Post by kreciu »

nbache wrote:Good. Will you tell us what your workaround was (for the sake of future readers)?
Sure, I will write something more... structured soon.

I'm not sure about this - is that via a Mediator board or something? I don't have a busboard in my A1k2. For network, I just use a PCMCIA Ethernet card. But I believe some other users/beta testers have them and can maybe tell more.

But in general: You can't necessarily expect drivers to have been written for OS4 for every piece of hardware which was once usable under OS 3.9. Every driver has to be written by someone, and normally that someone needs a specimen of the hardware in question as a minimum for testing. And even then, this would be a vast effort, and in most cases for very few users, if any.

Best regards,

Niels[/quote]

I purchased this LAN card as compatible with OS4.1 (from Amigakit.com). So, I'm disappointing since it is NOT supported "out of the box" (I already have the same LAN card I used successfully with Mediator). Apparently this is some sort of ID issue of this LAN card that is not recognized by driver. Additionally I was hoping that Final Version of AOS4.1 will have those type of issues fixed. It is not like we have tons of new HW for A1200 released every year :).

I will try to solved issue with LAN card using advice from on of other topic in this forum.

It is GREAT to be able to run AOS4.1 on classic but at the same time, it is very frustrating due to issues I have. I was expecting more refined product. When I got AOS3.9, it was a pleasure to install it. Put floppy/CD inside and all worked great. Sure, I had to run manually all Mediator drivers, etc. but it actually worked. Here I can't even INSTALL this system in regular way, despite my hardware being basically GENERIC: A1200, PPC, FastATAV, Mediator, Radeon/LAN. Nothing amazing and everything carefully selected to be "compatible". I'm not going to even mention that I need to take FastATA out to be able to do installation (with use of OS3.9!).

I will keep you updated, for future reference. Thank you for help, but please understand my frustration. I'm not new into Amiga... "issues", but I really wanted to have "FINALLY" system that simply works out of the box.

EDIT: Amigakit.com did not list LAN card I got as AOS4.1 compatible.
Last edited by kreciu on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kreciu

Post by kreciu »

OK. Now I can install OS4.1 using 4xEIDE (I had to change HDD ribbon) and now it will boot from floppy and detect Radeon etc. and I can finally install it properly. HOWEVER, when I'm done... computer will not boot from HDD (just floppy). I noticed that when I disconnect my DVD-rom system will boot properly. I tried attaching DVD-ROM to any of ports and no luck. So, I have working AOS4.1 without DVD-rom. I switched to FastATA and system works VERY well, but no DVD-rom.