Questions about 3.1.4

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.

Questions about 3.1.4

Postby Frogking » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm very happy that Hyperion Entertainment is continuing to support the Amiga OS with the release of 3.1.4!

I have a few questions, however, that I would like to address to Hyperion directly. I have several Classic Amigas, including an Amiga 500, Amiga 2000, Amiga 4000 and the 4000T. I am a registered owner of Workbench 3.1 (40.43) and Kickstart 3.1 (40.72). Will there be any "upgrade" discounts available for people who already ordered the last updated WB/ROMs?

Also, it looks like you've got each of the Kickstarts individually for sale for each Amiga model. In the past, purchasing Kickstart included the ROMs for ALL models. Do I really need to pay FOUR TIMES if I want the 1200 version for the Vampire accelerator in my 2000, and again for the 500 version, AND the 4000 version, AND the 4000T version? If this is the case I might just skip this round of updates altogether and wait for 3.2 or whatever.

Thank you again for continuing to support the Amiga community, and thank you in advance for considering my questions; please remember that not every Classic Amiga collector is wealthy!
Frogking
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Questions about 3.1.4

Postby opal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 am

I would like to know when Box version will be available. The world is waiting for unboxing and instalation from floppies ;)
opal
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Questions about 3.1.4

Postby bubbob42 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Frogking wrote:I have a few questions, however, that I would like to address to Hyperion directly.


I'm not hyperion, but maybe I can help.

I have several Classic Amigas, including an Amiga 500, Amiga 2000, Amiga 4000 and the 4000T. I am a registered owner of Workbench 3.1 (40.43) and Kickstart 3.1 (40.72). Will there be any "upgrade" discounts available for people who already ordered the last updated WB/ROMs?


Sorry, no. The 3.1.4 release is a much more advanced product compared to 40.72.

Frogking wrote:Also, it looks like you've got each of the Kickstarts individually for sale for each Amiga model. In the past, purchasing Kickstart included the ROMs for ALL models.


I bought the following updates over the year: Kick2.0 (1991), Kick 3.1 (1994). They all were indeed model specific. Same with 3.1.4, which contains model specific code in each of its ROMs. Only A500/600/2000 ROMs are identical.


Frogking wrote: Do I really need to pay FOUR TIMES


Yes. But why should you buy them all at once. Get one now, enjoy it and buy another one, if the need arises. A 3.2 won't be different in this regard. I'd upgrade the Vampire-equipped Amiga first.


Frogking wrote:Thank you again for continuing to support the Amiga community, and thank you in advance for considering my questions; please remember that not every Classic Amiga collector is wealthy!


Knowing the amount of work which went into this update, I'd say the price is fair. Remember what you paid for your hardware. :-)

In any case - have fun with the update!
bubbob42
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Questions about 3.1.4

Postby bubbob42 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:42 pm

opal wrote:I would like to know when Box version will be available. The world is waiting for unboxing and instalation from floppies ;)


A box is not planned, currently - but who knows? Dealers should be able to sell floppies and ROMs soon, though.
bubbob42
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Questions about 3.1.4

Postby opal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 am

bubbob42 wrote:
opal wrote:I would like to know when Box version will be available. The world is waiting for unboxing and instalation from floppies ;)


A box is not planned, currently - but who knows? Dealers should be able to sell floppies and ROMs soon, though.


They said there will be physical set of floppies and Rom, so I still wait for it. I am not interested in digital copy.

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php/news
"AmigaOS 3.1.4 is available as immediate purchase from our direct download section as digital download and will be available shortly as physical set of 3,5" floppy diskettes and machine specific ROM(s)."
opal
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 pm


Return to Platform: Classic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests