Workbench 3.1.4 issues on an A4000D

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
edolnx

Workbench 3.1.4 issues on an A4000D

Post by edolnx »

Greetings! I was able to successfully install Workbench 3.1.4 (with the ROMs) on my A4000D. The machine is fairly stock at the moment, having only 16MB of RAM, an A3640 board, a hard drive, an CD drive, a floppy drive, and a Video Toaster 4000 installed. Booting from the install disk works great, and I was able to re-partition and do a fresh install on the hard drive. However, rebooting into the installed drive yields a Software Failure 8000 000B on every boot from Workbench.

I have tried installing MMUlib using their installer and manually according to the notes in the install doc. Neither seem to have helped. I've tried the stock intuition library and the v45 version as well. No change with any combination. I do have the 3.1.4 ROMs installed, have not tried on the 3.1 or 3.X ROMs yet.

This system has passed every test I can throw at it via DiagROM, and was running Workbench 3.1 with BetterWB on the Colanto 3.X ROMs before I wiped and re-installed. Any ideas or suggestions to try are very welcome.
edolnx

Re: Workbench 3.1.4 issues on an A4000D

Post by edolnx »

As a test, I tried swapping back to the 3.X ROMs and see what happens. Workbench loads, but both of my HDD partitions now show checksum errors whenever I try to perform any tasks. One step forward, two steps back...
bubbob42

Post by bubbob42 »

Hi!

Please stay with the 3.1.4 ROMs. We have to figure this out.

The procedure would have been:

- boot from Install disk
- open HDToolbox
- Click on "Change Drive Type". A list of known drive types appears.
- Here click on "Define New".
- Now click on "Read Configuration",
- Click on "Continue",
- then click on "OK"- save
- partition the drive
- reboot
- format the drive
- install. The installer detects the 3.1.4 ROMs and won't ask for the Modules_A4000-Disk.
- reboot

Did you follow these steps exactly? If yes, which settings did you use for partitioning?
edolnx

Post by edolnx »

Hey bubbob42 - Thanks for the checklist. Turns out, PEBKAC - I made some option changes for the partitions when I setup initially, and didn't do that this time and everything worked.

Here's a gallery of screenshots of my partitioning and post-install process (typos and all): https://photos.app.goo.gl/DmJeoqFRas8zgFZ98

What I did different this time:
- Did not use advanced options for the partitions (I changed enabled Direct Access and used slightly different FFS options the first time), just went with the defaults.
- My machine has a GOTEK running FlashFloppy, and I used AmigaForever to make a ADF which has lha_68k and MMUlib.lha from aminet on it for processor card install.
- After OS install, I rebooted into the Early Boot Menu and booted with the MMU floppy installed and pressed "Boot without Startup-Sequence". Extracted the MMUlib.lha to DH2: (Work) using the floppy I made, and then manually copied the 680x0.library, 68040.library, and mmu.library to DH0:Libs and the MMU-Configuration file to DH0:Prefs/Env-Archive then I copied LoadPatch from the Modules disk to DH0:C and rebooted again
- Came right up, no issues at all.

So, my bad. But now this information is preserved so others do not make the same mistake :)
bubbob42

Post by bubbob42 »

Glad you fixed it - enjoy OS3.1.4! :)