Update 4 Installing Problems

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
danbeaver

Re: Update 4 Installing Problems

Post by danbeaver »

I've reinstalled OS4.1 about 6 times, on one of the reinstalls update 4 gave me same problem only once, but I just did a fresh install; my Amy was such a problem that as soon as I had a clean install, I backed it up, then I installed my other programs. I too downloaded them on a Win 7 machine, burned a CD and unpacked them on my Amiga.

A word of warning, I Have an A4000 with a CSPPC 604e at 233MHz and RuninUAE is too slow to be useful; I think it is for the AmigaNG's with much faster PPCs.

On my Amy, OS 4.1 is quick with a great display; it handles networking very well and with a little effort run most of my older Amiga software. See my other posts. In any event it is more stable than my OS 3.9 and my primary work OS. Only Hollywood based games work and the GREAT QuakeOS4! Use a lower OS for WHDload
nubechecorre

Post by nubechecorre »

Thanks for the advice, always very welcome :-)

Btw, I know RUAE is too slow, well not RUAE itself but E-UAE, but I reported this problem as I had it and hoped DevTeam can fix it in some ways..

Yes, AmigaOS 4.1 is really great with my Miggy :) I use it with Amiga1200PPC with my SamsungLCD at 1920x1080! and I use Hollywood too on both my AmigaSystem (A1200 and Sam440ep)

http://www.os4games.it

Sam440ep mini-itx

Classic System:

Amiga 1200
PowerPC 603+ 68040 25 Mhz + 256MbRam
Radeon 9250 128Mb VRam
Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb VRam
HD-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 Gb PATA
DVD-RW LG Dual Layer
SoundBlaster PCI 128
4xEIDE Buffered Interface Elbox
Cocolino Interface Elbox
AmigaOne White Mouse
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, the Voodoo 3 is an excellent board for OS 4.1! I think it just a hair behind the Radeon 9200. The Amiga OS 4.1 will love your 256 MB of ram, but there are a few programs on OS4Depot to avoid on a classic: Timberwolf for one, NetSurf is another as is Amicygnix (GIMP, etc).
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

danbeaver wrote:A word of warning, I Have an A4000 with a CSPPC 604e at 233MHz and RuninUAE is too slow to be useful; I think it is for the AmigaNG's with much faster PPCs.
Given that E-UAE is only barely fast enough on a 667MHz Sam440, I'm not so surprised to hear this. It might be possible to improve it's speed further (by tweaking settings), but only at the expense of looking & sounding rubbish, and with reduced game compatibility.

OTOH, when we (hopefully) get E-UAE with JIT, it would be worth trying E-UAE again. It might (just about) work at an acceptable speed, with some frame skipping enabled.
OS 4.1 is ... more stable than my OS 3.9
That is very true! Even after I got rid of most of the OS patches on my old Amithlon machine (and then WinUAE), it still had some annoying bugs or instability in certain areas (which are never likely to be fixed).
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Deep in my heart I believe that RuninUAE is meant for big, fast, and mean AmigaNG's without the Classic Amiga's chip set. The 604e PPC just isn't up to the task; but on Classic Amiga's we have the chip set just the wrong OS or too advanced a CPU. That's where WHDLoad comes in, or Degrader. I've been working with (yes, a registered version) of WHDLoad and some web sites that support it, and have found that it does an excellent job. I do drop out of OS4.1 to 3.x to run it. That's an advantage of a multiboot setup: you plug in the CF card with the OS you want, turn on the machine and you are there