Tuneup4: support for SCSI drives...?

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Gregor

Tuneup4: support for SCSI drives...?

Post by Gregor »

In the "Update_4.guide" included with Tuneup4 it is said:

* New scsi.device patch for Classic installations which enables
SCSI drives to be used for memory paging (SWAP).

Is this true? On Hyperion's homepage only IDE support is mentioned... At least in my A4000T SCSI-drives connected to the native SCSI-bus are not recognized in any way after installing Tuneup 4.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Tuneup4: support for SCSI drives...?

Post by nbache »

Gregor wrote:In the "Update_4.guide" included with Tuneup4 it is said:

* New scsi.device patch for Classic installations which enables
SCSI drives to be used for memory paging (SWAP).

Is this true? On Hyperion's homepage only IDE support is mentioned... At least in my A4000T SCSI-drives connected to the native SCSI-bus are not recognized in any way after installing Tuneup 4.
No. It looks like the same misprint or "unprecise information" crept into the Update_4.guide as in the press release. The latter was corrected a few hours after the release, but obviously nothing could be done about the already released update and its docs.

For historical reasons, the IDE driver on classic Amigas is called scsi.device, so we often see these misunderstandings where scsi.device is mentioned and people (even people in the OS4 team, it seems ;-)) think this means actual SCSI devices.

Best regards,

Niels
Gregor

Re: Tuneup4: support for SCSI drives...?

Post by Gregor »

nbache wrote:No. It looks like the same misprint or "unprecise information" crept into the Update_4.guide as in the press release. The latter was corrected a few hours after the release, but obviously nothing could be done about the already released update and its docs.

For historical reasons, the IDE driver on classic Amigas is called scsi.device, so we often see these misunderstandings where scsi.device is mentioned and people (even people in the OS4 team, it seems ;-)) think this means actual SCSI devices.
I'm sad to hear that... But thanks for clarifying the issue! I Sincerely hope the SCSI support will be there one day. It would be much easier to use SCSI-II disks and scanners via the native host adapter (which also has the external connector in A4000T) than to try to adapt them to CSPPC's SCSI-III bus by hunting suitable cable adapters and connectors from flee-markets etc...