Media Toolbox locks when reading scsi.device (RDB)

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Lumby

Media Toolbox locks when reading scsi.device (RDB)

Post by Lumby »

Hi all
To be on the safe side tested two hard drives but with the same result.

Everything works as it should when the hard drive set up the first time.
But when I use Media Toolbox and choose scsi.device the system locks when reading (RDB).

Everything is done as described in the manual.
Hope that some have a solution to this problem because I need to setup an additional partition.

Sincerely
Lumby
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Media Toolbox locks when reading scsi.device (RDB)

Post by JurassicC »

Have you installed update 4 ?
Do you have any additional IDE Hardware in your machine, such as powerflyer, EIDE99 etc ?
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It's been so many years since I touched a SCSI cable I've forgotten. However, I vaguely remember from last century that the SCSI bus would hang if the terminations weren't correct.
cheers
tony
Lumby

Post by Lumby »

Hi

I have been away for a while!
But have found out if I use hdtoolbox in OS3.9 says that (RDB) must be updated if I do this and restart in OS4.1 I can again use Media Toolbox but I have to say no to update (RDB) as if I do I have to use hdtoolbox in OS3.9 again?

scsi.devise is NOT scsi but the internal IDE
I do not use my scsi!

Sincerely
Lumby
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Hi,

I've found that switching between OS4.1's Media Toolbox and 3.9's HDToolbox that I will get "hangs" on the "ASKDEVICE" being active in the Icon of both; they only way around it is to go into the Icon Information and put "()" around ask device and specify the device you want to access ~ cybppc.device, scsi.device, usbscsi.device, etcetera. I don't know why; maybe because the 2 handle the RDB or something differently; this I know to be true from the way they handle my SCSI card reader. OS 3.9 sees it as a hard drive, OS 4.1 sees it as removable and not able to write to sector 0. "Inject" changes instead.

Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Lumby wrote:Hi

But have found out if I use hdtoolbox in OS3.9 says that (RDB) must be updated if I do this and restart in OS4.1 I can again use Media Toolbox but I have to say no to update (RDB) as if I do I have to use hdtoolbox in OS3.9 again?
From my observations, OS3.9 HDToolBox does not set Synchronous Flag nor Last ID (at least the same value as Media Toolbox does) in the RDB -> at least one of these if not both (and possibly something else in addition) is partly the reason for the messages. After updating in Media Toolbox and going back into OS3.9 HDToolBox it will suggest the hard drive has changed (this one may be due to Last ID, not Synchronous). This would assume that your device supports Synchronous mode (which I believe most hard drives do).

However, your recent description to which I have replied seems to be different to the problem you described in your original post. Please let us know if your original problem was solved before somehow.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Good point, Calgor!

I hadn't noticed, I just knew they acted differently.