*Updated* Latest Classic FAQ Revision 2.2 January 2013

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

*Updated* Latest Classic FAQ Revision 2.2 January 2013

Post by DarrenHD »

Since the release of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic, the included FAQ has been updated. It is now at revision 2.2 January 2013. It is attached to this post. Please unarchive it with the UNARC utility then copy it to SYS:Documentation.

As the FAQ is updated I will post updates here.

PS - Please do not re-distribute the FAQ as it is copyrighted by Hyperion and we don't want multiple variants floating around.

If you want an update to the FAQ let me know.

Edit: August 13, 2011: Replaced attachment with PDF, Text, Word, and Open Text document formats of the FAQ.

Edit: Updated HyperCom 3+ Parallel port instructions. Bumped revision to 2.1 September 2011.

Edit: Added question on address space issues, "Defective" zorro cards, added recommended text changes as per this thread. Bumped revision to 2.2 January 2013.

Thank you to everyone for your contributions and suggestions! Keep them coming!

I will update the compatible card list shortly!

Thanks,
Darren
Attachments
Classic_FAQ.zip
Classic FAQ Revision 2.2 January 2013
(166.19 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
tommysammy

Re: Latest Classic FAQ Revision 1.9 June 2011

Post by tommysammy »

Thanks for your work ;)
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
Fogg_80

Re: Latest Classic FAQ Revision 1.9 June 2011

Post by Fogg_80 »

Thanks.
Neil_P

Re: Latest Classic FAQ Revision 2.0 July 2011

Post by Neil_P »

I was just checking through the FAQ, and I don't see any mention of the useability of a Squirrel SCSI adapter under Classic OS4.x, and I know I've discussed this topic, but don't see it mentioned in the FAQ. Is this likely to find it's way into the FAQ?

I also wondered whether the ClockUp / Quaddddroport 4 port clockport cards were useable / had been tested with Classic OS4.x, so you could add more than one clockport device onto a Classic system under OS4.x?

Are the HyperCOM cards, or other similar clockport cards and software supported under Classic OS4.x?

I also should mention that as the FAQ was compiled using a PDF authoring tool with a version higher than 1.3 the standard OS3.9 PDF reader cannot handle/read the PDF, so I unarchived it with my WinXP setup, but as the document has not been saved with a suffix PDF the Windows system doesn't directly recognise it until I added a .pdf onto the filename, so maybe you'd consider saving the file with this suffix saved to the file so it's easier to view, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to read it that way.

I suppose I could have used GS860 (GPL Ghostscript) under OS3.9 but I'd have to wait for each page to convert to jpg or wait for the PDF to be converted to being viewable on screen, etc.
SAM 440ep-flex 733MHz 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 PCI, OS4.1FE Upd 1, Amiga A1200 Blizzard SCSi PPC G3 240Mhz/060-50Mhz, 256MB + 200MB -> Radeon 9200 256MB in Mediator TX, + Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Sound Blaster Live + TT-SOLO-1 soundcards, Spider USB, Ethernet RTL8139 + RTL8029AS, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI.
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JurassicC »

Neil_P wrote:I was just checking through the FAQ, and I don't see any mention of the useability of a Squirrel SCSI adapter under Classic OS4.x, and I know I've discussed this topic, but don't see it mentioned in the FAQ. Is this likely to find it's way into the FAQ?
Yes, I'll add a section and submit it darren for addition in the next update.
However my scsi devices are limited.
There was some discussion on it here :-

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread. ... 762&page=8

I also wondered whether the ClockUp / Quaddddroport 4 port clockport cards were useable / had been tested with Classic OS4.x, so you could add more than one clockport device onto a Classic system under OS4.x?
Short answer, unknown. I don't have one and its not something the testers reported back.
However, the standard clockport does works as well as the ones on the XSurf 3CC
Are the HyperCOM cards, or other similar clockport cards and software supported under Classic OS4.x?
I cant see a reason why they wouldn't work unless the drivers are badly programmed and they crash under 4.1
Multiface 3 works fine.
I also should mention that as the FAQ was compiled using a PDF authoring tool with a version higher than 1.3 the standard OS3.9 PDF reader cannot handle/read the PDF, so I unarchived it with my WinXP setup, but as the document has not been saved with a suffix PDF the Windows system doesn't directly recognise it until I added a .pdf onto the filename, so maybe you'd consider saving the file with this suffix saved to the file so it's easier to view, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to read it that way.

I suppose I could have used GS860 (GPL Ghostscript) under OS3.9 but I'd have to wait for each page to convert to jpg or wait for the PDF to be converted to being viewable on screen, etc.
Thats darrens department as the document maintainer. I guess we could release an RTF version of it.
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Thats darrens department as the document maintainer. I guess we could release an RTF version of it.
I can make ASCII, RTF, or PDF 1.3 versions, no problem.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

DarrenHD wrote:
I can make ASCII, RTF, or PDF 1.3 versions, no problem.

Updated the attachment with new PDF, Text, Open Text, and Word formats of the FAQ. Please re-download.
kgrach

Re: Latest Classic FAQ Revision 2.1 September 2011

Post by kgrach »

Update The FAQ
To help people like me who did not realize the the Fast ATA driver was built into OS4.1 and set to PIO4 (that was a really dumb idea) Quite a few Fast ATA 1200 MKIII users cannot go faster than PIO3 no matter what make,age or model Harddrive is installed.
Users need to know that if their harddrive does not go faster than PIO3
that they must
1 place a harddrive that they plan on installing OS4.1 on the primary along with the CDROM they plan on using to install 4.1
2 After booting into 4.1 go to AmigaOS 4.1 update 2/prefs/ATA3Prefs adjust PIO prefs hit use as you cannot save.
3 After setup of harddrive and installation of OS4.1 before rebooting. using notepad edit the S:startup-sequence on the newly installed OS4.1 and comment out the C:ata3.device by using a ";" before the line. Save, Exit and reboot
4 after booting set sys:prefs/ATA3Prefs and this time save the settings
5 using notpad edit the S:startup-sequence on the newly installed OS4.1 and uncomment out the C:ata3.device by removing the ";" before the line. Now save, exit and reboot

Spent several days going nuts and calling the developers funny names,before my brain engaged and I was able to install OS4.1 using the above method.

Now who's bright idea was it to only include drivers for PCI cards obsolete and almost impossible to find a decade ago.
Really 8029 come on. Could you not do a driver for a card made in the last five years and that somebody would have a chance of finding. somebody needs a flogging

kgrach
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kgrach wrote:Now who's bright idea was it to only include drivers for PCI cards obsolete and almost impossible to find a decade ago.
Really 8029 come on. Could you not do a driver for a card made in the last five years and that somebody would have a chance of finding. somebody needs a flogging
The RTL drivers have been part of OS4 for around four years already, they weren't made for the Classic release only.

I just bought a Netgear GA311 which has the RTL8169 chip. It works fine in my latest Amiga using the rtl8169 driver. It wasn't hard to find in a Danish web shop. The hardest part is finding out which cards have the RTL chips, but Wikipedia can often help, and I found that they were in many more cards than it appeared from the cards' pages in most web shops.

Maybe the average Win user doesn't care what chip is on a card, so it isn't worth mentioning in the product description.

Best regards,

Niels
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

kgrach wrote:Update The FAQ
To help people like me who did not realize the the Fast ATA driver was built into OS4.1 and set to PIO4 (that was a really dumb idea) Quite a few Fast ATA 1200 MKIII users cannot go faster than PIO3 no matter what make,age or model Harddrive is installed.
Users need to know that if their harddrive does not go faster than PIO3
that they must
1 place a harddrive that they plan on installing OS4.1 on the primary along with the CDROM they plan on using to install 4.1
2 After booting into 4.1 go to AmigaOS 4.1 update 2/prefs/ATA3Prefs adjust PIO prefs hit use as you cannot save.
3 After setup of harddrive and installation of OS4.1 before rebooting. using notepad edit the S:startup-sequence on the newly installed OS4.1 and comment out the C:ata3.device by using a ";" before the line. Save, Exit and reboot
4 after booting set sys:prefs/ATA3Prefs and this time save the settings
5 using notpad edit the S:startup-sequence on the newly installed OS4.1 and uncomment out the C:ata3.device by removing the ";" before the line. Now save, exit and reboot

Spent several days going nuts and calling the developers funny names,before my brain engaged and I was able to install OS4.1 using the above method.

Now who's bright idea was it to only include drivers for PCI cards obsolete and almost impossible to find a decade ago.

kgrach
Thanks for the info, I'll update the FAQ shortly. As for the network card support,

Most PCI cards require DMA, which OS4.1 Classic doesn't support, more specifically the Mediator is not a Zorro 3 DMA card. Elbox uses a DMA buffer hack using part of graphics memory for this buffer, but that will not be supported on AmigaOS 4.1 Classic, as it would require large changes to the graphics card driver subsystem and kernel. Quite frankly it's not worth it, since all of the functionality from these DMA cards is already present by using PIO compatible cards, zorro cards, or with the Deneb.

So if you can find me another PCI network card that can use PIO only then it's quite possible we can get a driver written. Unfortunately I doubt you will be able to find one.

RTL 8029 cards work fine, and can be found for dirt cheap on ebay, local classified ads, pulled out of old PC computers, or from flea markets, so I don't really see a problem. Also AmigaKit stocks a selection of compatible PCI cards that work with AmigaOS 4.1 Classic: http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/06/compatib ... -in-stock/

Alternatively you can use a USB network card connected to a Deneb and you can get quite decent speeds out of it, see my post on this here:

http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/07/ethernet ... 1-classic/

Of course in addition various Zorro network cards work just fine, too, such as the Commodore 2065.

Darren