AmigaOS Classic 4.1 Update2 fails to install [SOLVED]

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
danbeaver

Re: AmigaOS Classic 4.1 Update2 fails to install [SOLVED]

Post by danbeaver »

Hi!

Sorry, to the best of my German language classes, the product are all German and build on the same hardware with various different shapes , perhaps from different stages of development. I. Bought mine from lpt2usb.net -- based on the http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/ba ... usb.en.htm design. They are sold by various companies, but despite the shapes and cables, all are the same at the hardware level.

Dan
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Folks, had some unexpected behavior:

Played with Ami by adding my CyberVison PPC board to compare output with the Radeon 9200. I found that on booting into OS 4.1 that the system show boot colors on AGA Amiga output, then switches to Boot Menu and Boot Logo on CyberVision, and finally output on the Radeon. I removed the references to the Cybervision in the KickLayout and it does not change anything. I guess it looks for, and hence uses, the CyberVision preferentially and inherently before initializing the Radeon. Normally AGA switches to Radeon for Boot Menu and Boot Logo.

As an aside, using the OS 4.1 icon information (right Amiga + I) is superior over the Icon Editor in manipulating the icons. Simple drag-and-drop changes, alteration in icon type, save/load images, etc. are quite easy this way and preserves icon colors. OS 3.9 works kind of the same way, but the OS 4.1 version is very quick and excellent. I no longer use the Icon Editor. For the actual editing of the "image," I like PPaint V7 and ArtEffect 4.

Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Yes, I have observed the same that the CVPPC takes precedence for the OS4.1 splash screen over the Radeon (and PicassoIV) - I have all 3 installed. This was the same for CVPPC over PicassoIV in OS4.0.

So without the CVPPC installed, your OS4.1 boot menu and boot logo both showed up on the Radeon? Interesting. And what about booting off floppy disks (e.g. workbench 3.1 floppy, selecting DF0: from early startup menu) - did you check which graphics card output the resulting native PAL screeenmode is displayed to without the CVPPC? (I have always had CVPPC and PicassoIV installed)
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The boot menu and logo both show up on the Radeon screen when booting from a floppy (without the CV-PPC installed); I guess that the developers had to give some preference to the RTG's when more than one is installed.

Dan

The system must "run home to mommy" since to boot at all requires a CSPPC.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

danbeaver wrote:The boot menu and logo both show up on the Radeon screen when booting from a floppy (without the CV-PPC installed); I guess that the developers had to give some preference to the RTG's when more than one is installed.
When booting from for example the Workbench 3.1 floppy, does the logo splash screen actually still show up!? I never noticed this (I usually used PicassoIV on my monitor; the CVPPC display I hence could not see) - I thought (just like on Kickstart 3.x) it would go straight to the grey background blue windows shell and then to workbench. My classic is temporarily in a different state right now, so cannot test this floppy booting at the moment.

If it does, then that is good - you know your Kickstart version is 4.x.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, in OS 4.1 booting from a floppy goes through the same procedure as booting from a hard disk with boot logo showing.

Is there any experience or documentation about using the different memory masks when setting up a hard drive partition: the choice of "Any Memory," "32-bit Aligned," or "24-bit DMA?"

Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

This thread really is about anything isn't it? :) Well, you're the OP..... maybe you can append to the title and also say "and optimisations" or something after the SOLVED part.

Regarding the Mask, I do not know specifically if OS4 behaves differently to OS3.9, as I have not needed to change the Mask value for any hard disk partitions.

But if you set the Mask to 0x7FFFFFFF - then all of the first 2GB of memory can be used. The last character being F means the driver/controller is not fussy about memory alignment. The last letter could also be set to E or C for different alignments. For those drivers (e.g. in OS3.9) that may only operate in 24-bit memory space (i.e. first 16 MB) you can set the mask to 0xFFFFFF - I needed to do this once for a CD driver in OS3.9 that would have random errors otherwise.

There is an *excellent* explanation in the old SFS 1.58 guide (from original SFS author archive or SFS_OLD.guide in latest 68k full sfs1.277 archive) under the section "the Mask field":
http://www.amiga-stuff.com/text/filesys ... S158.guide

I do not know which one is ultimately preferred out of 0XFFFFFFFF (4GB) or 0x7FFFFFFF (2GB), both for current systems, and for future compatibility.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, you are correct; I should have started a new thread.

How about: The Care and Optimization of OS 4.1 and Classic Amigas?

Dan