Assertion if no Network available

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
xenic

Re: Assertion if no Network available

Post by xenic »

No program or command should crash if a library isn't available. After more testing, it appears that it wasn't necessarily C:Date that was preventing a proper net shutdown. RIght now it appears that if a program fails to respond to a break signal from NetShutdown, then other programs can't open bsdsocket.library. I still need to do some more testing on my system to be sure.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:No program or command should crash if a library isn't available. After more testing, it appears that it wasn't necessarily C:Date that was preventing a proper net shutdown. RIght now it appears that if a program fails to respond to a break signal from NetShutdown, then other programs can't open bsdsocket.library. I still need to do some more testing on my system to be sure.
Ill do the same on my system, though it gets harder...i dont really know which system prorgrams do access the net (if told so or not)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I tracked the problem down and it's the router :-)
I had some other machines to test and a Windows/Linux PC does the same (see below) as does a PS3.

OK, not exactly the same but both machines do NOT have working internet access on the first boot although the router has a flatrate and is always hooked to the internet.

On the PC: The NAS is not available before some seconds after complete bootup (as is on the Amiga).
This behaviour is "new", it didn't do it "before"

On the PS3: I get a network error on every boot, but it will still access the net and work fine after some seconds.

It seems my router (Fritz!Box 7390) lags on the IPs?

All this testing tells me (i hope) that not a third-party program is crashing/asserting but the AddNetInterface program trying to access the net in the first go or checking if there is internet or whatever it does on the first start.

The main problem is NOT with AmigaOS!!!

Still it would be nice if it wouldn't just assert but rather bring up a window...

I'll check related forums for help on the main problem.

Thanks so far
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg