video ram in 4.0 vs 4.1.6

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: video ram in 4.0 vs 4.1.6

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

satiropan wrote:so in the end I loaded pictures of space from hubblesite.org, 67mb, 40mb and 27mb.
You were right, the board uses only 128MB of video ram, I get maximum 87mb of used video ram, and the normal ram is filled a lot, I reached having only 9mb of free ram, then,if I load another picture, the system locks.
That's what I meant. You could have believed me in the first place, you know ;)
Set aside this question, why the system prefers to fill normal ram instead of video ram when loading pictures?
Video memory is pretty volatile. Once it is needed, existing bitmap data might be cast out. Now, copying FROM video memory is mostly much slower than copying TO video memory, so the data is always kept in main memory and copied to video memory only for displaying.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
satiropan

Re: video ram in 4.0 vs 4.1.6

Post by satiropan »

Hans-Joerg Frieden wrote:
satiropan wrote:so in the end I loaded pictures of space from hubblesite.org, 67mb, 40mb and 27mb.
You were right, the board uses only 128MB of video ram, I get maximum 87mb of used video ram, and the normal ram is filled a lot, I reached having only 9mb of free ram, then,if I load another picture, the system locks.
That's what I meant. You could have believed me in the first place, you know ;)
Set aside this question, why the system prefers to fill normal ram instead of video ram when loading pictures?
Video memory is pretty volatile. Once it is needed, existing bitmap data might be cast out. Now, copying FROM video memory is mostly much slower than copying TO video memory, so the data is always kept in main memory and copied to video memory only for displaying.
I have seen that the 9200se 256agp has a lot of soldered jumpers, 8 in the back and 11 on the front side. possibly one or more of them would let me use all the 256Mb, as on the pci version sold by elbox, but who could know the meaning of these jumpers???? thy are a bit too many!
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com