Spare U-Boot

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Spare U-Boot

Post by tonyw »

I don't think there would be any problem from one betatester to another, for such an ancient machine.

PM me with your email address.
cheers
tony
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

tonyw wrote:I don't think there would be any problem from one betatester to another, for such an ancient machine.
None at all. Just don't spread that beta-only U-Boot version which was never supposed to be spread in the first place.
ExecSG Team Lead
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

Spektro wrote:I ended up buying a Willem programmer.

I read the content of the original AmigaOne U-Boot flash memory and wrote it on an empty flash chip. The programmer didn't report any errors and all the data seems to be on the new chip. However, Amiga won't boot with the new chip :( I also tried writing the data several times before testing the chip but it didn't help.

Has anyone cloned the U-Boot successfully with a Willem programmer?
Looong time ago my A1-XE uboot chip got screwed while updating. I buyed new flashmem/chips and used a Willem programmer (parallel port). Not sure which version of the software flasher I used. IIRC tonyw (THX) send me the UBoot .hex file so I could flash such new chip(s) and worked fine (after a couple of try-outs).
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

Thanks to tonyw's image file I found the right settings for the programmer and managed to write a working Flash ROM :D Thanks Tony!

If someone else would like to clone an U-Boot flash ROM using a Willem programmer, here is the setup that worked for me:
  • a flash ROM chip: AM29F040B-70JF
  • Sivava Willem PCB50B (version 50b) programmer
  • Willem Eprom Programmer Software for Windows, version 98D12c4
  • in the programmer software the correct target device is M29F040B
  • in the programmer, set the A18 jumper and the 12 DIP switches as the software instructs
  • plug the flash ROM chip in the programmer's PLCC 32 socket (the "upper" PLCC socket). The software instructs to use programmer's ICSP port, but that is not required. The PLCC 32 socket works fine.
The flash ROM's content may need to be erased before writing on it. To erase the content, select Erase 28/29/49/89/90/PIC from the programmer software's Action menu.
- Janne Peräaho
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

@Spektro:
GREAT!!!!
Maybe some pics/photos (Willem programmer, PLCC32 socket, windows software flasing chip,...) will be nice to have/see. :-)
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

javierdlr wrote:Maybe some pics/photos (Willem programmer, PLCC32 socket, windows software flasing chip,...) will be nice to have/see. :-)
Here you are:

Sivava Willem PCB50B programmer. The Flash ROM chip goes to the upper PLCC 32 socket (grey square socket).

Target device selected (M29F040B) and an U-Boot image loaded.

Writing the U-Boot image.
- Janne Peräaho