AmigaOne XE G3 question

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
CountRaven

AmigaOne XE G3 question

Post by CountRaven »

Hello guys

I have an issue with my AmigaOne, I have opened similar topics in the past -in other forums-, I am re posting here hoping for some more answers and opinions. On a specific time point I tought that the problem was gone but unfortunately not. So I am re opening a new topic in here where I can get replies mainly for developers and beta testers. I will try to describe the symptoms clearly asking for some more advice willing to face a problem from a different view.

I got an Eyetech AmigaOne XE G3. The system would freeze in random point mainly when I am using some graphics applications like a video player -Mplayer for OS4- It would freeze on random time points if I open many apps, I would have to reset the machine as I am unable to move my USB mouse. Also no keyboard activity I am using an old type ps2 keyboard.

The machine would also freeze when I have the screen saver active.

No freezes if I leave the machine open running a small app like Wookiechat for example. It would run for days, stable.

I thought it is a memory issue so I ordered another memory stick of 512MB and tested but with the same symptoms.

I run the memtester from a shell it did one loop: no freezes.

In the middle of a second loop it would freeze.

With the older memory stick I have managed to go until six loops without freezes and then I canceled the procedure -control + C-. But it would freeze on different test seasons after first or second loop.

I do not know if my machine has the usb fix. I have tried after such an advice on other forum to boot the machine without the line MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd on my kicklayout module.:
i had terrible stability issues with my SAM and my peg after update 3 and onwards once USB2 support was added to the system. under heavy CPU loading -- such as browsing using MUIOWB or decoding a high-resolution video -- i would get random freezes.

turns out the issue was the USB stack not getting enough CPU time (or something) and not 'seeing' my USB keyboard/mouse for certain periods. it then deleted the devices from its tree, thinking they had been disconnected when they weren't. others have reported similar problems with USB2 support in conjunction with USB2 PCI cards using the VIA VT6212L chipset.

the bottom line is that i disabled EHCI support in my kicklayout file. this means reverting to USB1.1 speeds, but i got stability back. try editing your SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout file and commenting out the line 'MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd' and see if that helps. it sure helped me.

-- eliyahu

I have commented those lines as well, freezes remain.

Some more updates:

I have found a USB PCI card to use, thinking that the probably not present USB fix was the reason.. The freezes remained even with the card... Yes the PCI card works but ehci is still commented, on kicklayout, otherwise the USB PCI card would ket the OS4 freeze on the splash screen.

I changed the battery however not ketting the machine unplugged from the main power connector on the mobo, just unplugged the machine PSU connector.

More facts:

I changed PSU.

The tower I am using has 4 fans.

CPU has stock fan.

So e more facts:

The machine also hosts a wireless network card and a catweasel they both work good, but I am not using the wireless card now. Why? Here is another strange fact, when I am ussing the wireless trying to download ussing owb or ibrowse for example the nace demo lha file from os4depot, the machine would freeze. With wired connection all is good.

The machine runs 4.1.6, all the updates with Amiupdate.

Look the machine is ussable, it has also good times while copying files from usb, playing video and surfing the web at tbe same time with no freezes, remaining stable for hours, on tbe other hand a random freeze could happen any time.
It would mainly stay stable for days, as I already pointed, while not a lot of apps are loaded...

So?

Is my mobo dying?
Is it a software or operating system issue due to memory protection for example?
What else can I do?
Do you have any ideas / advices?
How can I get rid off those freezes?
Are there any diagnostic applications that I can use?
Is it a common smptom? That I got to kearn and live with? Yes the freezes.

I do not remember such issues in the past but I was not using the A1 that much.

And ok I would point the freezes as a common fact on graphics apps, but the same is happening on the downloads... Can not shape a logic theory.

If you want to know any more details just, ask.

Any help will be welcome.
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: AmigaOne XE G3 question

Post by msalcedo »

I too have a G3 machine that locked up...at random times. (much as you described)

My fix was based on this advice: from Tony

The DMA problem: because of bugs in the VIA southbridge (which was designed to run with an x86 bus), there was a problem with data transfers using DMA if the on-board IDE interface and the on-board Ethernet interface tried to send/receive data simultaneously. It can be fixed by cutting a couple of tracks and adding a couple of wires to the back of the board, but it has the side effect of preventing use of the 66 MHz PCI slot for video graphics. A better solution is to use a plug-in PCI card for disk interface - these days you'd be better off with a 2- or 4-port SATA card, anyway. As long as the card has a 3112/3114/3152 chip set, it'll work OK with existing drivers.

I did in fact just go with a siig ata133 card, it was seen and easy to configure in uboot 1.1.1

I also tried various sata cards with issues with uboot. When I find a sata card that uboots sees, I'll report that. (I hope)

M
CountRaven

Post by CountRaven »

Can you please report the excact model of the card you are ussing?

Is this one?

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3 ... -PE4B12-S4
CountRaven

Post by CountRaven »

If I use my wireless PCI card would I sonehow cause less crashes because the ethernext would nit be used? I do not think so... Cause I have already hsed it.... But I am just asking......
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

Yes, that is the exact model. siig inc model sc-pe4b12-s4 (Only I got mine at Fry's for $39.)

I don't know about wireless (never used it on A1-G3 or A1-G4), but you might read the thread and info..
about fixed amiga-one's Just a few items below this thread. TonyW was very complete in his response.

This thread about fixed amigaone got a used G4 running really well.

So well, I'm taking to the Programming Conference at AmiWest2013 in Sacramento!

M
CountRaven

Post by CountRaven »

Can you please give tbe link to the topic you mentioned?
Last edited by CountRaven on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

Same place you posted this thread...just eight threads lower...

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =16&t=1889
Last edited by msalcedo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

msalcedo wrote:Same place you posted this thread...just eight threads lower...
It doesn't make sense to tell anybody where a particular thread is found. Some people read the threads via the Board index with the various topic groups and forums and see the list of each of those, some (like me) use the Unread messages feature and will see the threads they need to catch up on in one list, which will obviously be different for each user. And there are various other ways to go about it as well.

But each posting (and each thread, and each forum) has a header which is a link to itself, so you can link to a posting (or a thread/forum) by copying such a link's URL and pasting it in your own post.

Best regards,

Niels
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

Thanks! Have to learn something new everyday.

I didn't know how to show a link from the same index.
I hope the count finds it anyway. That thread really helped get my G3 and "new/use G4 working.
m

ps I tried, hoped it worked
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

msalcedo wrote:ps I tried, hoped it worked
Your link works fine for me :-)

Best regards,

Niels