menuboot_cmd

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
joerg

Re: menuboot_cmd

Post by joerg »

Raziel wrote:Yes, i meant the PCI bus...and unfortunately it doesn't matter if you plug it to a PCI card that *can* work with those speeds as the bus will act up aswell once the data gets there.
The 33 MHz PCI bus works in an AmigaOne XE, at least in an "unfixed" one, copying the errors from the µA1 causes more problems than it fixes. While working on raid.device I had it running with parallel DMA transfers of up to 4 HDs without any problems.
(The drives had to be connected to 2 SATA controllers, the AmigaOS 4.x SATA drivers like sii3114ide.device don't use SATA directly but PATA emulation instead and therefore can only access 2 of the 4 drives at the same time.)
There are problems with the 66 MHz PCI slot, but since most use an AGP graphics card in an A1XE it can't be used anyway.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

joerg wrote:
Raziel wrote:Yes, i meant the PCI bus...and unfortunately it doesn't matter if you plug it to a PCI card that *can* work with those speeds as the bus will act up aswell once the data gets there.
The 33 MHz PCI bus works in an AmigaOne XE, at least in an "unfixed" one, copying the errors from the µA1 causes more problems than it fixes. While working on raid.device I had it running with parallel DMA transfers of up to 4 HDs without any problems.
(The drives had to be connected to 2 SATA controllers, the AmigaOS 4.x SATA drivers like sii3114ide.device don't use SATA directly but PATA emulation instead and therefore can only access 2 of the 4 drives at the same time.)
There are problems with the 66 MHz PCI slot, but since most use an AGP graphics card in an A1XE it can't be used anyway.
Arrgh, yes, i'm always forgetting the fix (which my board has)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
joerg

Post by joerg »

Raziel wrote:Arrgh, yes, i'm always forgetting the fix (which my board has)
If a "fixed" A1XE really only works up to UDMA5, but not with UDMA6 and UDMA7, with a sii0680 controller don't replace it with SATA HDs and controller. With the PATA controllers you can limit the UDMA speed, with SATA controllers you can't. You can use PIO or DMA, but not set the speed. Even if you set the speed with the U-Boot _xfer variable or IDETool to "UDMA0" the SATA controllers still use the max. UDMA speed supported by the drive. Same for PIO, if you set it to "PIO0" it still uses PIO5 or PIO6 instead.

But I don't understand how that should make any difference. The UDMA speed you select with _xfer or IDETool on a PATA controller is only the speed used between the HD and the controller, it doesn't change the DMA transfer speed between the controller and the A1 on the PCI bus.

For PATA UDMA it's very important that you use the correct cable, it has to be a high quality 80 wire cable. 40 wire cables can't work at all with high speeds (max. UDMA2 can work), and some cheap 80 wire cables cause problems as well.
It may even be important to put the master/slave drives at the correct connector of the cable, check sii0680ide_dev.doc for details.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

daveyw wrote:...Took it back to the store, the guy ran a Windows diagnostic on it and pronounced it fine. So I've soldiered on with it since then.
I am talking about the firmware used in the drive. All hard drives have some software in them. Windows will very likely have a workaround in place if the firmware is faulty so that proves nothing.
ExecSG Team Lead