OS4.1 fails to install on AmigaOne SE

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
bdeneen

OS4.1 fails to install on AmigaOne SE

Post by bdeneen »

Running the install CD for AmigaOS 4.1 on my AmigaOne SE results in a continous loop, thus:

1) the initial startup screen (text) shows and devices identify properly.

2) the files appear to read from the CD correctly.

3) after the files are read from the CD, the initial startup screen appears again.

4) permitting this process (i.e., 1) - 3)) to occur several times in succession always produces this "loop."

I have already changed the battery on the board, so that cause should be eliminated.

Any help would be appreciated. The docs that come with the install disk indicate that OS 4.1 should run on the AmigaOne.

Thanks for your help.
Amigaprez
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: OS4.1 fails to install on AmigaOne SE

Post by ChrisH »

Are you using the original AmigaOS4.1 CD, or the (downloaded & burnt) CD with Update 1 on it? The latter should have many bugs fixed.
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

bdeneen wrote:Running the install CD for AmigaOS 4.1 on my AmigaOne SE results in a continous loop, thus:

1) the initial startup screen (text) shows and devices identify properly.

2) the files appear to read from the CD correctly.

3) after the files are read from the CD, the initial startup screen appears again.

4) permitting this process (i.e., 1) - 3)) to occur several times in succession always produces this "loop."

I have already changed the battery on the board, so that cause should be eliminated.

Any help would be appreciated. The docs that come with the install disk indicate that OS 4.1 should run on the AmigaOne.

Thanks for your help.
have you installed the latest u-boot firmware?
iirc upd1 needed the latest one. should be v1.1.1 (Mar, 3 2005)

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
bdeneen

Post by bdeneen »

Thanks to those who replied. I will check the uboot version with Ranger. but I believe that it is current (i.e., version 1.1.1). As for the CD, I have tried both the original and the update 1 CD's with the same result.

Does the location of the OS partition have any bearing on this? Does it need to be first on the hard drive? That was another thought but it has functioned fine anywhere I have placed it for many years.

Another thought was the hard drive itself. Would a hard drive anomaly produce this result?

Just a few other guesses for someone who knows more about it that I know.
Amigaprez
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Have you tried removing any or all PCI cards except a possible Graphics card

have you tried using a different harddrive?

I don't think size or position really matters in the more modern Amiga (my SAMs have always run off a 10g first partition, it is of course at the start of the harddrive though)

Have you checked there isn't any corruption in your saved settings in the initial startup and check your order of preferred booting devices is set and points to the right controller.

I can't remember if you can actually have your HD and DVD connected to a PCI controller and not have at least one thing on your internal IDE, if you can, of course try that too

My AmigaOne is sitting in pieces in a shoe board and I haven't bothered to try and get it going since it last just refused to go, a few years ago now for sure.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Dirk-B

Post by Dirk-B »

Maybe it is mixing things up.

Set the bootdevices in uboot to ide-cdrom only and nothing else and try again.
TSK
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by TSK »

@bdeneen

The problem with A1-SE and AmigaOS 4.1 is USB. You have to modify the ISO image of the installation CD before burning it onto a CD. Comment out all lines related to USB from both Kickstart/Kicklayout and S/Startup-sequence files.
Keep the party going !
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

TSK wrote:You have to modify the ISO image of the installation CD before burning it onto a CD.
Well this is strange. I've seen OS4.1 Update 1 installed on an A1SE and it was fine. :-?
Last edited by Hypex on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Hypex wrote:Well this is strange. I've seen OS4.1 Update 1 installed on an A1SE and it was fine. :-?
The SE is a limited run test board for developers only. It was meant to help write drivers much like the limited run X1000 test boards did. The SE has some nasty hardware faults which may not even be the same between boards.
ExecSG Team Lead
TSK
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by TSK »

The SE has some nasty hardware faults which may not even be the same between boards.
That explains a lot.
Keep the party going !