OS4.1FE did not start.

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: OS4.1FE did not start.

Post by Hypex »

Do you have a floppy drive? I've only heard of the micro A1 crashing out due to no floppy controller. But I thought the floppy driver was removed from Kicklayout as I recall two updates that kept removing it from my system.

Do you also see a black screen on the working install when activating the early start up screen?
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

tonyw wrote:@Oliver:
U-Boot will load Kickstart from the first partition it sees. If you have two or three "Bootable" partitions on the one disk, then Kickstart will be loaded from the first one, no matter how old it is.
Once Kickstart has been loaded, the OS4 System will be booted (that is, Startup-sequence will be read and libraries loaded from) the bootable partition with the highest boot priority.
this is interesting
I have already noticed it on my A1G3SE, where I have SiL3114, HD on port 0, dvd on port 2, ports 1 and 3 empty
I had to put dvd on port 2 instead of 1 because I had noticed what you say, even if I had setted boot from cdrom in u-boot, it would load kickstar from HD and then boot from cdrom
with dvd on port 2, the boot is fully from cdrom
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

I have the same issue. Amiga One G4. I am just trying to install on a blank IDE hard drive. I can boot into the CD without issue. Ran the install which finished. The disk is bootable and I only have one disk drive with three partitions on it. A bootable DH0(Workbench) SFS00, DH1(SWAP) non-bootable SWAP format 4096 buffer, DH2(Playbench) non-bootable SFS02. I do not see the Workbench screen at all, I do see it booting and running kickstart etc.. off of the HD, but then I see the Amiga OS 4.1 fade in and then it stops on that screen. I tried with both Floppy connected and disconnected, the screen still displays Amiga OS 4.1, so it can not be the video mode as that would display nothing or garbage. I would like to know what happens at that point where that screen ends. Is this where it runs the LoadWB? I know when the cd boots it is where the Workbench screen is displayed. I am going to try and write down everything I have done to see if I made any kind of mistake during the install process. I have also tried using the standard file system with the same results. I am also able to see the DH0: and DH2: drives after booting into the CD drive.
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

OK, I think I found my own problem...

I deleted my SWAP partition from the hard drive. It then allowed me to boot one time from the HD. The problem came back on the second boot, so I had to add the SWAP volume back in. I am writing this on my Amiga One right now, but I do not yet know if it will just boot on its own next time or not. Hope this helps!
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

It did it again. Seems that I have to swap between having a SWAP drive and Not in order for the system to boot. Very Strange...

Anyone know how to turn the SWAP feature off?
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

nzv58l wrote:Anyone know how to turn the SWAP feature off?
Well, removing the SWAP partition will make the system run without swap machanism. I don't think there is another way to disable it.
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Elwood wrote:
nzv58l wrote:Anyone know how to turn the SWAP feature off?
Well, removing the SWAP partition will make the system run without swap machanism. I don't think there is another way to disable it.
That is correct.
ExecSG Team Lead
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

nzv58l wrote:The disk is bootable and I only have one disk drive with three partitions on it. A bootable DH0(Workbench) SFS00, DH1(SWAP) non-bootable SWAP format 4096 buffer, DH2(Playbench) non-bootable SFS02.
Be sure to use only 512 sectors for those SFS formatted partitions.
I do not see the Workbench screen at all, I do see it booting and running kickstart etc.. off of the HD, but then I see the Amiga OS 4.1 fade in and then it stops on that screen.
If you have the serial port connected to a 2nd computer you may be able to see why it is failing. Without serial output, all you will see is a black screen.

I remember Ethernet/IDE conflicts being an issue on those old systems. If you have Ethernet plugged in, try removing it.
ExecSG Team Lead
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

"Be sure to use only 512 sectors for those SFS formatted partitions."

Not sure where you set this? I see Blocksize, Buffers, Maxtransfer, Mask for SFS\00. Is it just a size limitation? I also tried it with the FFS, still same thing.

"I remember Ethernet/IDE conflicts being an issue on those old systems. If you have Ethernet plugged in, try removing it."

Tried removing it, no difference. I also have a PCI card with an IDE Sil0680. I have tried it with both onboard VIA, and with onboard VIA disabled. I had only connected the One HD and the CD to try and keep it as simple as possible.

Funny thing is it will boot OS4.0 and it will boot the CD, but not OS4.1 final edition. In addition, I found out flipping the SWAP volume on and off does not always work. In fact it rarely works. It always seems to die at the same spot and the AmigaOne has already displayed things it has loaded from the HD.

"If you have the serial port connected to a 2nd computer you may be able to see why it is failing. Without serial output, all you will see is a black screen."

Never did this before. Besides the AmigaOne, I also have a Windows XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. Do you have any good recommendations for what software to use for the PC to do this with, and what cable I need? The screen is not actually black, but has the AmigaOS final edition 4.1 displayed at full brightness.

Also, Do you know if there are any different versions of AmigaOS4.1 CD? I am going to download the CD from the Hyperion site and see if that does not work any better.

Are there any suggestions for which file system I should use and what settings as follows:

FastfileSystem,OldFileSystem,Plain,International,Long filenames, Blocksize, Buffers,Maxtransfer, Mask, boot priority...etc

I am just looking for a configuration that is something that is known to work, and if I get it working I can tinker with it from there.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

nzv58l wrote:"Be sure to use only 512 sectors for those SFS formatted partitions."

Not sure where you set this? I see Blocksize, Buffers, Maxtransfer, Mask for SFS\00. Is it just a size limitation? I also tried it with the FFS, still same thing.
It's the blocksize. On SFS, only a blocksize of 512 is tested and recommended.
In addition, I found out flipping the SWAP volume on and off does not always work. In fact it rarely works. It always seems to die at the same spot and the AmigaOne has already displayed things it has loaded from the HD.
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with having a SWAP partition or not. It just happened to look like that for your first attempts.

It is not unusual to have the system stop booting without any visible error message, and then a restart lets it boot correctly. Unfortunately, the only sure way to find out what is happening, is to rig up a serial link to another computer.
Never did this before. Besides the AmigaOne, I also have a Windows XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. Do you have any good recommendations for what software to use for the PC to do this with, and what cable I need?
All you ever wanted to ask aout serial debugging is to be found here: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Advanced_S ... ging_Guide :-) (don't let the word "Advanced" scare you off, BTW, it's not that bad).
The screen is not actually black, but has the AmigaOS final edition 4.1 displayed at full brightness.
Yes, this means it has stopped/failed somewhere in the Startup-Sequence. If it is a crash, the serial link will display the crash log. If not, another way to pinpoint the problem can be to insert debug messages in various places in the Startup-Sequence, so the serial link can show how far it ran before stopping. I believe there are commands on OS4Depot to "print" a string to the serial debug link.
Also, Do you know if there are any different versions of AmigaOS4.1 CD? I am going to download the CD from the Hyperion site and see if that does not work any better.
For each hardware platform (e.g. AmigaOne), there is only one Final Edition CD.
Are there any suggestions for which file system I should use and what settings as follows:

FastfileSystem,OldFileSystem,Plain,International,Long filenames, Blocksize, Buffers,Maxtransfer, Mask, boot priority...etc
Currently, I believe the general recommendation is to use SFS\0 unless you use large partitions (> 120ish GB) or large files (> 4 GB), in which case you should use SFS\2 and take extra precautions about backup (because there are no repair tools for SFS\2). If you insist on using FFS, definitely use Fast, international, long filenames. Never use directory caching on a hard disk, it was only for floppies. And as mentioned, blocksize 512 on SFS. On FFS, you can use larger values as well. Buffers defaults to 600, I usually set it to 1000, but it's not that important. The rest is probably best left at the defaults. Boot priority determines which bootable partition the system uses first to boot from. You should probably leave those at 0, unless you know of a good reason not to.

Best regards,

Niels