New EHCI driver fails on my system

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New EHCI driver fails on my system

Post by Hypex »

Well it looks like a conundrum here. An NEC card that doesn't work. :-?

Either way you shouldn't need to touch the onboard USB settings. In 1.0/1.1 mode my VIA PCI card works fine as it always has along with my front USB ports.

I also have an update. I tried removing my SoundBlaster and tested my VIA card i t he bottom two slots. Orher slot needed for my Sii0680. No change. EHCI driver still acted faulty or crashed. Looks like my card has a VIA 6212 chipset.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/perip ... sb/vt6212/

I also tested another card, perhaps older, that was dual voltage and my A1 didn't like it. Wouldn't power on but then later got it to boot up. Card didn't show up in system. Also tested another that turned out to be only a 1.1 card. Didn't detect any devices plugged in. :-?
Lio

Post by Lio »

ok I exchanged my NEC PCI 4+1 for a ALi PCI 4+1 with the following ID :

## Vendor Device Vendor name Description
13 0x10B9 0x5237 ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller
14 0x10B9 0x5237 ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller
15 0x10B9 0x5237 ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller
16 0x10B9 0x5239 ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller

and now all is fine, my USB stick is running at 2.0 speed as you can see below :

scsispeed DRIVE usbdisk.device:0 FAST BUF1=8192 BUF2=16384 BUF3=32768 BUF4=65536
MKSoft ScsiSpeed 4.2 Copyright © 1989-92 MKSoft Development
AmigaOS4 port by Stéphane Guillard
------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: 68020 AmigaOS Version: 53.22
Device: usbdisk.device:0

Testing with a 8192 byte, MEMF_FAST, LONG-aligned buffer.
Read from SCSI: 2571468 bytes/sec

Testing with a 16384 byte, MEMF_FAST, LONG-aligned buffer.
Read from SCSI: 4341760 bytes/sec

Testing with a 32768 byte, MEMF_FAST, LONG-aligned buffer.
Read from SCSI: 6850150 bytes/sec

Testing with a 65536 byte, MEMF_FAST, LONG-aligned buffer.
Read from SCSI: 9637068 bytes/sec

8-)
paulsy

Post by paulsy »

sadly i still have to disable EHCI to get my NEC card to work with update 4.
Evillord68
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Evillord68 »

@paulsy: Which USB Card do you use, which usb Chip is on this card?
What is the problem with ehci driver?
paulsy

Post by paulsy »

I have read that NEC cards are suppose to work but I have a NEC card, which while it boots ok, freezes the system as soon as i plug in any usb devise. commenting out the EHCI driver and the card works. strangly the keyboard still works and I can reset with it. my keyborard and mouse are PS2.
I should point out that I have a Micro A1. Ranger gives the card as 0x00E0 REV:0x04

This is a copy paste of my origanal post after update 3. The problem is exactly the same.Things seem fine until i try to use the usb then the screen freezes.
If you require more information let me know as I will have to take the card out to look at the chips.
thanks for replying

paulsy
Evillord68
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Evillord68 »

Ok Paulsy, i add this to the bugreport. I have a µAone, too. I will make a serial output for the bugreport, but i need a cable for this.
I am asking at OS4Beta Mailinglist for the cable.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Evillord68 wrote:What is the problem with ehci driver?
The problem is it doesn't work with all chipsets like the OHCI or UHCI Driver does. I had a VIA USB2 card in my A1 workling perfectly fine until the USB2 driver was released. To use it now I have to disable EHCI. So while I hot plugging works the speed is still slow.

I get told things like to remove my SoundBlaster because it's buggy. Well I do and it makes no difference. The EHCI still breaks. But it makes no sense as the slower USB drivers work perfectly fine and with my SoundBlaster . :-?

Looks like USB2 is a lot harder than we thought and must be totally different to USB1.x workings. In a sense it looks like I am getting hardware read errors as if my drives have hard errors. I don't think the hardware is at fault, I think it's all in the EHCI driver, or something else in OS4, because I tested Ubuntu Linux using Geri's allegedly buggy 2.6.31 kernel and USB2 works fine!
Last edited by Hypex on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

paulsy wrote:sadly i still have to disable EHCI to get my NEC card to work with update 4.
Thats the problem. There's also VIA chipsets that work but not the one I picked! It doesn't look like an exact science either when it comes to cards. A delveloper has a USB card that reports that exact same PCI ID as mine does and looks to use the same chipset. However his base address is different. So perhaps the EHCI driver is doing something wrong or expansion library isn't correctly allocating memory for the USB2 space on the PCI bus. Check the start of this thread for details.
paulsy

Post by paulsy »

after hours of experimenting i have found that the EHCI driver does not freeze the system if I remove Devs/Networks/eth3com.device.
put it back in and the problem comes back, so it seems to conflict with the ethernet for some reason.
at least I know whats causing it even if i dont know why :)
paulsy

Post by paulsy »

ok. time to bite the bullet and try to get a card that works. there are a number of usb2 cards on the amazon.co.uk site. has anyone got one of these to fully work on a micro a1 or a card from another store, preferably in the uk.

thanks