amiupdate problem

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
satiropan

amiupdate problem

Post by satiropan »

i own both eyetech amigaone g3se and commodore a1200 with ppc
on both I have installed AOS4.1FE
the problem started when I upgraded to the last amiupdate, some months ago, on the amigaone
after this upgrade, amiupdate would serch for new updates, then list me some updates, but the blue bar reaches 100% and then nothing happens.
reading the au.log file, it says it can't figure out the size of the updates to be downloaded
this happened months ago, so I haven't made any update from then
yesterday I started amiupdate with my classic a1200, and remembering the problems with amigaone, I said NO when the requester came up telling me that I could upgrade amiupdate.
so I found the AOS4.1FE update 1, downloaded it, installed with no problems
I installed also a couple of updates that where in list.
I was not able to install the aiss update, it was downloaded but nothing happened.
anyway, let me say that as soon as I made a warm reset (and later also cold resets), the aos4.1fe up1 started, but I quickly found out that there are problems. but these I will discuss in another post, maybe.
after this, I decided to upgrade amiupdate to the last version.
I did it, than started it
SAME PROBLEM!!!
so what's happening with amiupdate?
how can I get it working and downloading the files? the log said the same, impossible to know the size of the files to download.
how can I fix it?
regards
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: amiupdate problem

Post by nbache »

satiropan wrote:I was not able to install the aiss update, it was downloaded but nothing happened.
The problem is that the AISS archive does not contain an AutoInstall script. You have to unpack the archive yourself (unless AmiUpdate did it for you already) and find the Install icon inside it. That runs the installation (which basically just sets an environment variable with the AISS version and copies all the image files to your TBImages: assign).
so what's happening with amiupdate?
Are you using the Italian translation of AmiUpdate? If so, you may need to revert to English until somebody releases an updated Italian catalog, and you have installed that. Unfortunately, in the latest versions of AmiUpdate, the author has (inadvertently, I assume ;-)) shifted the internal string IDs in relation to the ones in the catalog, so you sometimes get wrong messages and labels in the program, until a new translation compiled with the new IDs is installed. I'm not sure if that is (part of) what you are seeing, but it might be.

Probably the easiest solution for now is to delete the existing catalog from your AmiUpdate/catalogs/italian/ drawer, and reboot, so AmiUpdate automatically falls back to the builtin English, which doesn't have the problem.

Best regards,

Niels
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

thank you, I'll try and then report
btw, you know, I am now 67, so I don't have the energy and time to run behind the ever existing amiga problems anymore
I mean, I am thinkink of dismantling it and selling everything to some new young amiga enthusiast retrofan :)
Satiropan
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

SOLVED!
thank you so much, nbache, I gave back hope!
actually I renamed the italian cathalog file, then run again amiupdate and it worked flawlessly as before!
the names are still italian but it works and that's OK
I immediately downloaded and installed the update to aos4.1fe and 2 MUI files with no problem
thanx again
Satiropan
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

satiropan wrote:SOLVED!
[...]
thanx again
You're welcome - BTW, I'm 64 myself ;-)

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Ha! Youngsters !
cheers
tony
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tonyw wrote:Ha! Youngsters !
Yeah, yeah - and even you, Tony, are not the oldest one around, I believe. :-)

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

satiropan wrote:actually I renamed the italian cathalog file, then run again amiupdate and it worked flawlessly as before!
the names are still italian but it works and that's OK
I just re-read your post and wondered about this. Are you really seeing Italian texts after deleting the italian AmiUpdate.catalog? If so, maybe you have an older version of that catalog somewhere else, e.g. in SYS:Locale/catalogs/italian/. You should check that and make sure you delete it at least when a new version of the italian translation is released, as that will be installed in the local catalogs dir, where it is supposed to be. It's easy to mess up things if you have more than one version of anything the system wants to find, in different locations.

Best regards,

Niels
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

nbache wrote:
satiropan wrote:...If so, maybe you have an older version of that catalog somewhere else, e.g. in SYS:Locale/catalogs/italian/. You should check that and make sure you delete it at least when a new version of the italian translation is released, as that will be installed in the local catalogs dir, where it is supposed to be. It's easy to mess up things if you have more than one version of anything the system wants to find, in different locations.
i'd actually put all the catalog files for amiupdate to sys:locale and not into progdir.
why? because amiupdate consists of two components - the updater and the preferences. and the prefs program is copied to sys:prefs per default. so the locale file for the prefs is required to be installed to sys:locale to work reliable.
and splitting up the locale files - some to sys:locale, some to progdir:locale is not what i recommend.
imo all amiupdate translations (autoinstall) should install to sys:locale and remove the progdir files.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

I checked out, also because in amiganews.it some time ago someone put a link to the new italian catalog.
http://www.os4depot.net/share/utility/w ... te_ita.lha
so yes, I downloaded the new italian catalog and put it in sys/locale/catalog/italian and deleted the catalog inside amiupdate/catalog
I will try the same on my a1200 PPC then I'll report
Satiropan