A1 G3 800 + 128 MB

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
samo79

A1 G3 800 + 128 MB

Post by samo79 »

I have a problem on my AmigaOne, i have 2 different banks of RAM that togheter are not compatible (one of 128 and the other one at 512 MB) but sadly it seems OS4 they can't accept each others so I had to choose only one of two, naturally i choose the 512

But the problem isn't that, today i plugged the small one (128) to so some test to the virtual memory paging (copying block of files into RAM to see if there are any freeze or kind) but almost i can't be able neither to copy a single 60 or 70 MB of file or did any other things

I know 128 MB isn't enough as most is used also to manage AmigaOS, but instead of a related error i get this strange error:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/uhcierror.png/

That seems related to USB instead :o

I try to click both buttons but i always get tons of indefinite popups with the same message, then if i reboot i get a Grim Reaper once WBStartup finish to show its icons

Now i don't have the log here but it is a DSI crash on Workbench that is related to the Kernel or somethings similar

I don't understand what have to do the eventual memory missing with USB but i had the same problem also starting Quake 3 and other apps, so at the end OS4 seems completely unusable with only 128 MB of RAM only, this is ok but why this error on USB ?

This is what i don't understand

Beside that i plugged again the 512 SIM instead of the small one but now OS4 refuse to boot for some unknown reason ... :?:

It's an hell ...

My AmigaOne is:

A1 G3 800 (Fixed by ACube)
128 or 512 MB
Radeon 9200 SE
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 (clean install)
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: A1 G3 800 + 128 MB

Post by Hypex »

I am surprised OS4 worked with 128MB at all. When a PC killed my only working 256MB A1 memory module all I had was 128MB lying around. It worked with Linux. But when I tested it with OS4 it wouldn't boot! Not enough RAM! :-o

That OS4, it's a memory hog! :-p
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Yep what is strange it's only the kind of error, i would expect atleaset some "no memory availible" error rathen than an uncomprensible USB error that explain nothing ..

But maybe testing OS4 in this condition can be usefull to track down some remaining internal issue, if there are any issue ..
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

The USB stack could be affected by the problem. TTBOMK USB events in the system allocate memory. What USB devices are plugged in? Do you have any USB keyboard or mouse plugged in?

And BTW mixing different memory sizes let alone types is asking for trouble! ;-) Are these simms registered?

So now your machine won't boot up at all? :-o But UBoot is okay?

Not changed any UBoot memory settings?

If you can get the system back up I'd grab a crashlog. Without that the problem is still too vague.

And BTW, did ACube do A1 fixes? I did not know that.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Hypex wrote:The USB stack could be affected by the problem. TTBOMK USB events in the system allocate memory. What USB devices are plugged in? Do you have any USB keyboard or mouse plugged in
No, my mouse and keyboard and not USB, only my Transcend PEN is
Hypex wrote:And BTW mixing different memory sizes let alone types is asking for trouble! ;-) Are these simms registered?
Yep i know, so then for all my test i remove the small one (128 MB)
Hypex wrote:So now your machine won't boot up at all? :-o But UBoot is okay?
I didn't touch the UBoot settings, and i solve the problem with this method:

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... f=14&t=393
Hypex wrote:If you can get the system back up I'd grab a crashlog. Without that the problem is still too vague.
If i would able to get one i will post for sure
Hypex wrote:And BTW, did ACube do A1 fixes? I did not know that.
Well i'm not sure if ACube do this service officially but i ask Max Tretene and he did it without any problem ;)
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

I'm getting the same USB error if SWAP is activated with update 3, SWAP works as it should with update 2. My micro has 512MB of ram, if I copy a 700MB movie into ram, SWAP should allow the copy to complete. It does with update 2, but gives me the USB error & a system lockup with update 3.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

You need to disable Petunia to run on 128MB, and try to avoid big resolutions and smart-refresh windows.

And yes, I also noticed that swapping has gone from half-decent to crap with update 3. It only manages to swap a little bit, then it locks up. With update 2 I could go pretty deep into the swap before stuff started to act up and it froze. I really believed in the opposite updating to upd3 :-(
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Deniil wrote:You need to disable Petunia to run on 128MB, and try to avoid big resolutions and smart-refresh windows.

And yes, I also noticed that swapping has gone from half-decent to crap with update 3. It only manages to swap a little bit, then it locks up. With update 2 I could go pretty deep into the swap before stuff started to act up and it froze. I really believed in the opposite updating to upd3 :-(
Ok i will try disabling Petunia altrough what i would expect in this kind of situation is a sort of "out of memory" not an USB error !

I can't speak for virtual memory as i didn't test OS4 too mutch under my AmigaOne but i can say that on my Sam Flex it never work, it didn't work on Update 2 and continue to not work now with Update 3 (freeze)

Before opening this thread i did only a quick test with Update 2 on AmigaOne and the virtual memory test goes well, or almost it seems ...
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

I think the USB system has a real problem being interrupted for a longer period of time, which is what happens when it starts swapping. Also with update 2 I often got babble or an automatical USB restart when the swapper kicked in (because the driver or something was not allwed to run in time). With update 3 this seems to be gone for me, but instead it just freezes after swapping a few MBs.

I'll disable all USB drivers (uhci, ehci, ohci) and do some swapping tests. It's easy to test with MUI-OWB surfing image on google or facebook because it never freeze its image cache until quit. Then trying to compile a large project or open large digicam pictures in PicShow (which also precaches images). But of course, filling up RAM: should also always work, although slowly.