OS4.1 Update 4 fails to install on uA1c [SOLVED]

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Ned

OS4.1 Update 4 fails to install on uA1c [SOLVED]

Post by Ned »

I recently downloaded OS4.1 Update 4 and unarced it with unarc. My uA1c has OS4.1 Update 3 on it. When it double click on the installation icon I get the following messages:

Failed to load shared object libz.so
Failed to load shared object libpython25.so
Unable to open your tool 'installation Utility'

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: OS4.1 Update 4 fails to install on uA1c

Post by nbache »

Ned wrote:I recently downloaded OS4.1 Update 4 and unarced it with unarc. My uA1c has OS4.1 Update 3 on it. When it double click on the installation icon I get the following messages:

Failed to load shared object libz.so
Failed to load shared object libpython25.so
Unable to open your tool 'installation Utility'

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?
Do you have the assign SOBJS: in your running Update 3 system? Check by opening a shell and entering SOBJS: and pressing Enter. You should now be in the SObjs directory of your SYS: partition.

If this fails, you have somehow lost your SOBJS: assign (which would be strange, as it should be set up automatically even before your Startup-Sequence runs, like C: etc. - but it might happen if you later have an "Assign SOBJS:" with no target).

Otherwise, try listing your SObjs dir. Do you have libz.so in there? If not, do you have any .so files with names starting with libz.? If you do, you have lost some symlinks. IIRC, the proper setup is to have libz.so.1.2.3 as a real file, and link libz.so.1.2, libz.so.1 and libz.so to it (e.g. "makelink libz.so libz.so.1.2.3").

Also check if you have libpython25.so in your SObjs dir. If not, you must have deleted it (maybe inadvertently). You should be able to find it on your Update 1 CD (I think), or within the Update 4 archive, and copy it in place.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Niels
Ned

Re: OS4.1 Update 4 fails to install on uA1c

Post by Ned »

Neils,

Thanks for the info. Yes, there is an assign for sobjs: but although libz.so.1.2.3 is there, there is no libz.so. I decided that maybe the easiest thing to do was to reinstall OS4.1 update 1 and go from there so that everything would be as it should be. This has worked, and the install of update 4 went smoothly.

But does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened to cause me to loose the symlink? In general, I run a very traditional system and don't fool with things that I don't at least think that I understand. I know that I have never gone rooting around in the sobjs: directory.