USBCtrl broken?

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Raziel

USBCtrl broken?

Post by Raziel »

Phew, this will be hard, because i fear to get an answer like Your hardware is broken, live with it!

Here we go...
Once i do an "USBCtrl STOP", i'll NEVER be able to get anything USB related back until i do a reboot.
Why? Because i won't get my XE backport HUB back :-(

System: PPCMotorola MPC 7447/7457 Apollo/AltiVec(tm) (emulated MC68020/FPU) (INST: Cache) (External Cache)
Level 1 Cache size: 32768, Level 2 Cache size: 524288
L2CR: 80000000, enabled, partity check disabled, instruction & data, replacement algorithm: pseudo-random
MSSCR0: 00000000, L2 prefetch disabled (0 engines), 8 maximum outstanding data-bus transactions.

I have a DMA/USB fixed XE which i stripped down to only using the original backplate USB hub
(yes, it's seen as a hub alright).

USBInspector shows me the hub as

Rear Roothub (uhci.usbhcd/0) in Functionality and
Roothub (uhci.usbhcd/0) in Topology.

Plugged in are a mouse/keyboard combo (working) and an USB to MIDI adapter (working)
The mouse/keyboard combo shows up as

Human Interface Device
- USB Receiver
- USB Receiver

both devices have the same info in Information:

Type:Interface

Product:USB Receiver
Vendor:Logitech
Serial no.:<unspecified>
Version:38.10

Class: Human Interface Device
Subclass:1
Driver:hid.usbfd

and the USB to MIDI adapter shows up as

Audio
- UM-1

Information:

Type:Interface

Product:UM-1
Vendor:EDIROL
Serial no.:<unspecified>
Version:2.0

Class:Audio
Subclass:3
Driver:camdmidi.usbfd

Now, as soon as i do an "USBCtrl RESTART" (or STOP for that matter) it will take down all devices just fine (though i'll get an USBERROR_STALL from the adapter - lylehaze told me that this is normal), but on the actual restart NOTHING happens. :-(

USBInspector will stay blank, which leads me to believe that my hub is not added in the first place(?), but why?

I then will be stuck with NO USB hardware and no possibility to ever (before a reboot) add one again, yet the USBCtrl program won't throw any errors, nothing will be (re)added to USBInspector, i am not able to (re)add my mouse/keyboard combo and as such be forced to reboot (or use a PS2 mouse/keyboard).
The system btw doesn't care, it lives happily along, no lockup, no crash.

I'm out of ideas, this seems so illogical :-(
Why does it add devices in the first place (when it is started in startup-sequence), but not re-add them after USBCtrl has stopped them manually?

Now for the ideas:
I think that the USB stack either internally dies/crashes/whatever (on my XE) and as such USBCtrl is not able to (re)add anything plugged in (because USBCtrl gets never loaded a second time --> no error messages because none built in yet?) or the USB stack is not able to (re)add the hub a second time for whatever reason.
(that are of course just some thoughts of a user with no internal insight).

btw: i don't have any hubs other than the original backplate from my XE plugged in.

While i'm not sure if my mouse/keyboard combo is USB2.0 i know that the MIDI adapter is.
I will continue to test (i.e. commenting out EHCI and see what it does, but as i wrote in another USB thread it seems the system/OS is smart enough to only load/use such xHCI's it's find hardware for...at least Ranger tells me there is only UHCI in Exec/tasks)

btw2: i do not have any dropouts anymore, i was setting the bus speed hardware wise down to 100MHz from 133MHz.
That made my XE accept and work flawlessly with more than 512 MB RAM (it threw randowm errors before when i used 1 GB) and cured the USB random dropouts.
Now the only thing that really scares me is that i cannot restart USBCtrl due to losing my (original) rear port hub... heres hoping that it's not a hardware problem aswell?

Although i lost the random dropouts it can still happen sometimes which in the case of this not-perfectly-working USBCtrl i have to live in fear that everytime i loose my USB i may need to reboot.

Has anyone an idea what i can try to test further or can anyone confirm this on another XE, please?

OK, thanks for listening :-)
Last edited by Raziel on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: USBCtrl broken on XE?

Post by tonyw »

I must admit I've never used USBCtrl - at least, not since the original days of testing the USB stack on the XE back in 2003 or 2004. I'm surprised that it's still there.

Anyhow, your point is quite valid and it's not restricted to the XE, it happens on my other machines, too.

I'll write a report about it.

BZ #7614.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:I must admit I've never used USBCtrl - at least, not since the original days of testing the USB stack on the XE back in 2003 or 2004. I'm surprised that it's still there.

Anyhow, your point is quite valid and it's not restricted to the XE, it happens on my other machines, too.

I'll write a report about it.

BZ #7614.
No hardware problem?

:-)
MAN, am i relieved!!!

Thank you soooo much,tony

I will do some more testing when i get home again and see if it also affects the only USB2 pci card i have.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Just for the record and maybe to add to the BZ item.

Original front port USB - Pins used with an "adapter-plug to backplate" solution --> Never gets re-added
VIA Technologi, Inc. based USB2 (EHCI) PCI card --> Never gets re-added

Thank you very much again
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Raziel wrote:VIA Technologi, Inc. based USB2 (EHCI) PCI card --> Never gets re-added
Now there's your problem!

Actually I have a VIA USB2.0 card that doesn't work (in USB2 mode) so would like to see your PCI info on that one. ;-)

Now, I am just wondering, why did you want to issue a "USBCtrl STOP" anyway? IIRC I had problems with this early on but stopped using it.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Hypex wrote:
Raziel wrote:VIA Technologi, Inc. based USB2 (EHCI) PCI card --> Never gets re-added
Now there's your problem!

Actually I have a VIA USB2.0 card that doesn't work (in USB2 mode) so would like to see your PCI info on that one. ;-)

Now, I am just wondering, why did you want to issue a "USBCtrl STOP" anyway? IIRC I had problems with this early on but stopped using it.
Well, my card is working just fine if it has been added on startup but USBCtrl seems to broken beyond the XE hardware

To answer your question why i want to use USBCtrl...because it is said in the docs i can...since it´s not working as described i started this thread.
For some reason my "[Bug]" in front of the thread title got lost in the void :-) (I will add it right away)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Raziel wrote:For some reason my "[Bug]" in front of the thread title got lost in the void :-) (I will add it right away)
Please stop prefixing. Thanks.
ExecSG Team Lead