DON'T use the L2Cache utility!

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
HKvalhe

DON'T use the L2Cache utility!

Post by HKvalhe »

I just want to notice you all that i recommend NOT TO USE the small L2Cache Utility done by ACube Systems.

While this cache for SAM440 and SAM460 is to boost little performance, noticeable during video playback, this tool can also cause problem if one decides to run it in WBStartup.

In AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6, this cache caused corruption of partitions in form of checksum error. In AmigaOS 4.1 Final, you don't see any error messages, but it could provide some hidden problems. Perhaps being the cause to freeze some programs after a use, and having to turn off and on your computer, or something else that isn't noticeable by first sight?

It would easily be thought that such a utility would be ideal to run during startup every time. Unfortunately, it's not, and generally, this utility doesn't really make any difference now that we run AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, which have several new features of its' own.

So to avoid any trouble in the future, please DON'T USE this L2Cache utility. It's simply not worth it. There is no really noticeable difference at all with or without the cache. I have decided to not use it.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: DON'T use the L2Cache utility!

Post by salass00 »

I guess you missed the warning and usage notes from the readme:
To be noted: IT MAY CAUSE SYSTEM INSTABILITY AND/OR DATA CORRUPTION if for some reason the OS perfom some operation which can cause incoherency between L2 cache and main memory, use it at your own risk!
The best use of this utility is to run it before any intensive task (for example playing a movie) then disable it, and not leaving it enabled all the time, to avoid any potential coherency problem.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

salass00 wrote:I guess you missed the warning and usage notes from the readme:
To be noted: IT MAY CAUSE SYSTEM INSTABILITY AND/OR DATA CORRUPTION if for some reason the OS perfom some operation which can cause incoherency between L2 cache and main memory, use it at your own risk!
The best use of this utility is to run it before any intensive task (for example playing a movie) then disable it, and not leaving it enabled all the time, to avoid any potential coherency problem.
It could happen to anyone, but everything is fine now. And the cache didn't make much of a different in performance, really.

What is your opinion of the cache, actually?
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Helgis

I'm with salass00 here, there was a visible warning in the readme.

You should really start reading the manual first before you embarass yourself again with comment blogging like on OS4Depot.net
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Raziel wrote:@Helgis

I'm with salass00 here, there was a visible warning in the readme.

You should really start reading the manual first before you embarass yourself again with comment blogging like on OS4Depot.net
First of all, the comments in OS4Depot were completely relevant from an understandable situation, as some others were wondering about the tool as well. I surely wasn't the only one.

Calling my comments embarrashing is stretching the truth a little. We can all do mistakes. We are not God and know everything. We have our weakness and faulties, too. In your hart you know what i am saying now is true. I agree with you reading the documentation, but not on you calling my comments embarrashing. You say that because you seem to dislike me, so it's a personal conflict you see in me. I have nothing against you, but pre-judging a person without actually knowing the person is always WRONG. That goes without saying, and that is where we stop before getting too personal.

Yeah, i did read after the experience. Luckily, i'm not using it anymore in AmigaOS 4.1 Final, so i'm not experiencing that problem anymore. Some users told me that when they used the tool themselves, they didn't notice much of a difference, other than it could cause some problems, as the documentation is warning about.

Doesn't have to worry about that anymore :) FE has many new features, so performance is a lot better than it was in Update 6 :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
lozspd4

Post by lozspd4 »

Many Thanks HKValhe
For the info i think your Warning is valid, i too suffered problems with the program, especially logging on to Amistore whilst it was running. Took me a while to figure out where the problem was comming from and yes i did read the readme first. Its a bit of a problem though if you don,t understand english so not everyone can understand fully. Thats why we have forums where users can Report such probelms.

Regards
Laurence :twisted:
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

lozspd4 wrote:Many Thanks HKValhe
For the info i think your Warning is valid, i too suffered problems with the program, especially logging on to Amistore whilst it was running. Took me a while to figure out where the problem was comming from and yes i did read the readme first. Its a bit of a problem though if you don,t understand english so not everyone can understand fully. Thats why we have forums where users can Report such probelms.

Regards
Laurence :twisted:
I couldn't agree more :) You are welcome, and thanks to you :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
K-L

Post by K-L »

I remember what I said on OS4Depot to temper your enthusiasm :
Read the documentation regarding activating this patch all the time
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

K-L wrote:I remember what I said on OS4Depot to temper your enthusiasm :
Read the documentation regarding activating this patch all the time
I'm glad that proper information has been given so that everybody are aware of it. Thanks.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

HKvalhe, I've been to your blog and your post about Ward3D compatibility and workaround managed to get some games working for me and with better performance so thanks and I think I see where you going with those compatibilty issues. Lets hope for smart fixes.