ICONS gone USB->HDD

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: ICONS gone USB->HDD

Post by broadblues »

> **Always** unpack amiga archives on Amiga

Yes, okay, Unarc is very bad tho. On Amiga OS3.5 if you set an Folder like DH0:Test it writes DH0:Test in the text window, but depacks to DH0:
Fairly sure that AmigaOS 4 version bever had that bug, or at least not in the last 10 years or so.
On OS4.1 I could set a Standard Folder like RAM:, but how to "depack to THIS (Input file) Folder". Not sure of and how that is possible. It's a bit complicated to search the Folder or copy it around.
If you don;t set a default folder then a ASL file requester opens allowing you to choose your prefered destination.

Personnally I find it best to unpack to ram: and copy the files to the required destination, easier to clean any mess made by pooorly structured archives.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Camiga wrote:IMPORTANT - TEST - PLEASE READ

I tested it now. I copied the (broken) Archive from USB to HDD, LIST says:
- 20 files, 13 MByte - 7 Folders 26955 Blocks ON USB
- 20 files, 13 MByte - 7 Folders 26822 Blocks ON HDD

Could be because of file System difference I guess (FAT vs SFS)
Different files system, different amount of filesystem data, so slightly different block usage.

I personally think that this is a huge bug, because I never told it to make an .info.info file, I never told it to make my drawer to a Project, I never told it to act differently on USB and HDD. I don't get it.
You have show .info files enabled. This means that the info files get a def_Icon (which will use ENVARC:sys/def_info.info if it exists or def_project.info otherwise).

When you change the settings of a def_Icon in the information requester and save it, a *real* icon is created. Thus you end up with your unintended .info.info file.

Show .info files , is really only useful if you need to copy the icon of a file to somewhere and not very useful for altering any settings for that icon file itself. If you really want to mess arround with the rpotection bits for the icon file, use

C:PROTECT path:to/icon.info -r

etc

in the shell.

When you updated the icon you made it unreadable as well as creating an icon for it, once you updated the HDD window, this caused the drawer to apppear to disappear, there can't be both a real icon and def_icon for the same file.

Note you did not use the window update on the USB Window as far as I could see from your shakey video. (there is an SRec on os4depot for beter vids if you need it, similar in concept to SGrab) So the drawer did not appear to disapear. To add an extra complicaion, the USB drive actually seams to need a manual update in the case of saving a def_Icons to create a real one.

Simplest solution to this problem is turn off show .info and leave it alone.
IMHO, what it should do is: When I set the .info to unreadable it should act like it is not there or deleted, what means the drawer should stay a drawer, but get a Standard Icon (from ENV:Sys/ I guess) and only be visible when you set it to "Show all files".
Nope, there *is* a real icon, you just made it unreadable.
That also explains, why it did not Show up on the HDD, while it indeed did on the USB Stick, because the non-readable .info files get treated differently relative to their Location. Experts would say it is not a "consistant way of doing something".
You did not update the USB drive.
And what about the AmiUpdate catalog?
Not being the author of that I can't comment, perhaps start a new thread about it with the version number of the file you have installed and off amiupdate, Simon (the author) may then see it and address the issue.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

broadblues wrote:
Camiga wrote: And what about the AmiUpdate catalog?
Not being the author of that I can't comment, perhaps start a new thread about it with the version number of the file you have installed and off amiupdate, Simon (the author) may then see it and address the issue.
A little while ago, an update of the AmiUpdate program was unfortunately done in a way that rendered older catalogs incompatible. This cause a lot of problems for users, until they got the newer, compatible catalogs installed (once the translators had made them and released them). I think you have run into the same incompatibility issue.

The route to salvation is:

1. Switch your language to English (i.e. in Locale prefs, clear the selected language(s) and select only English, then save - reboot if necessary).
2. Use Amiupdate to update both the program and the catalogs to the latest versions.
3. Switch your language back again, i.e. clear English in Locale prefs and select again what you had before in the language list; save.
4. Reboot, and start AmiUpdate again, now you should hopefully have the correct texts in the expected places.

Best regards,

Niels