Sam460ex - internal sound gone

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
duga

Sam460ex - internal sound gone

Post by duga »

Sam460ex
4.1 FE update 1
Enhancer Software 1.3 (Std)

Sound was working fine yesterday, did som playing around with the sound settings hoping to get a bit better sound (which I believe I got). Sound was great in Tower 57. Left the system on during the night.

Today, sound locks up (constant sound when trying "beep" in Sound Prefs). Had to reboot. After a few attempts + downgrading to original 4.1 FE update 1 Sound Prefs I don't get any sound, and the machine locks up directly or after a few seconds (probably high CPU usage as the mouse pointer moves slowly).

From Ranger, does this look okay?

ID: Bus: 0x06 Device: 0x00 Function: 0x01
Class: Base: 0x04 Sub: 0x03 IFace: 0x00 (Audio Device)
Device: 0xAA68 Rev: 0x00 (N/A)
Vendor: 0x1002 (N/A)
Header Type: Normal (Multifunction)
Cacheline Size: 0 Bytes
Capabilities: BusMaster Intercard
Command: Disconnected
Interrupt: Line: 0xFF Pin: B Number: 271
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Sam460ex - internal sound gone

Post by nbache »

Without knowing exactly what could be the problem, I do have some advice.

Remember that the third-party "Sound prefs" from Enhancer attempts to replace not only Sound Prefs, but also AHI prefs.

So if you want to fallback to the originals, you should restore:

- Prefs/AHI (with .info)
- Prefs/Sound (with .info)
- Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/ahi.prefs
- Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/sound.prefs

- from the backup you took before installing the Enhancer (you did, didn't you? If not, you have to restore them all from the AmigaOS installation CD and make your settings in Prefs/AHI and Prefs/Sound again).

Edit: Maybe you didn't explicitly make a backup, but let the Enhancer installer backup overwritten files. If so, you should be able to find them there.

Best regards,

Niels
duga

Post by duga »

nbache wrote:Without knowing exactly what could be the problem, I do have some advice.

Remember that the third-party "Sound prefs" from Enhancer attempts to replace not only Sound Prefs, but also AHI prefs.

So if you want to fallback to the originals, you should restore:

- Prefs/AHI (with .info)
- Prefs/Sound (with .info)
- Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/ahi.prefs
- Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/sound.prefs

- from the backup you took before installing the Enhancer (you did, didn't you? If not, you have to restore them all from the AmigaOS installation CD and make your settings in Prefs/AHI and Prefs/Sound again).

Edit: Maybe you didn't explicitly make a backup, but let the Enhancer installer backup overwritten files. If so, you should be able to find them there.

Best regards,

Niels
Thanks, solved it! I had restored Sound but not AHI which apparently makes Sound unstable even for file operations. Enhancer doesn't seem to backup ahi.prefs and sound.prefs though, so I just restored the defaults (which I assume are built in, or?).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

duga wrote:Thanks, solved it! I had restored Sound but not AHI which apparently makes Sound unstable even for file operations.
Great!
Enhancer doesn't seem to backup ahi.prefs and sound.prefs though, so I just restored the defaults (which I assume are built in, or?).
IIRC, at least the ahi.prefs from the OS install disc contains settings which are closer to what most users will want in AHI than the builtin defaults, so it might be easier to use that. Not sure about sound.prefs, since the Sound prefs editor is younger, so it might have more reasonable defaults already within the program.

But you could try for yourself, just save the various .prefs files so you can easily copy the best one(s) back.

Best regards,

Niels
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

Doesn't sound much like an "enhancement" to me...

Simon
duga

Post by duga »

Rigo wrote:Doesn't sound much like an "enhancement" to me...

Simon
Well, it's not necessarily related to the Enhancer Software. I got some problems even after downgrading. What's important is to reboot completely, not only AmigaOS. It usually solves the sound problems.