First keyboard press eaten...

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Elwood

Re: First keyboard press eaten...

Post by Elwood »

cha05e90 wrote:I only flash a new version if I really, really have to.
But if you don't have the last patches/fixes/versions, then we can't help you because we might chase ghosts doing so and then waste our time. :-(

Also, it's not because the release notes don't mention a particular fix that it doesn't fix it. As an example, if the releasenotes of the Dos library says something like:
"Fixed a bug when calling Lock() with a NULL name"
*All* programs running in the system will be affected. One consequence might be that your problem gets fixed too!

Think about it.
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

Elwood wrote:
cha05e90 wrote:I suppose this one might already reported somewhere, so just for the record: On my SAM440ep (mini), UBoot 1.3.1b,...
Are you sure it's Uboot 1...b ? Version 1...d can be found here: http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php? ... ware&pid=1

There was an OS4 bug reported and fixed in uhci.usbhcd 53.9
I checked and in Update2 there is no new uhci.usbhcd. Which version do you have?
The bug is not Sam specific and it is not in uhci.usbhcd. The same thing happens here on my AimgaOne G3SE, the first keypress on my USB keyboard after each reboot is not recognised. I know uhci.usbhcd is not the culprit as i've commented it out of my kickstart file, the one supplied with update 2 (53.7) hangs the system completely during boot. (Reset button press required)

I thought I'd seen a post on Amigans about this problem being known about (and fixed)

Also why would Sam owners be using uhci.usbhcd? Isn't their USB controller an NEC one? My NEC card uses ohci.usbhcd.

Regards
Darren
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

I've had this issue on my A1XE (AOS4.1 with all public updates) and PS/2 keyboard since a long time (if not from day 1) IIRC it was reported back in the days on AmigaWorld but as far as I can tell it was never fixed.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
xenic

Post by xenic »

Can anyone confirm the "first key after reboot won't repeat" problem I reported in my corrected response? To reproduce: Reboot, open a shell, press-and-hold a key and see if it repeats. I have the latest UBoot installed on my SAM Flex with OS4.1u2. The only thing unusual that might affect keyboard use is that I am using an older PS2 keyboard with USB adapter. If nobody else can reproduce this then I'll assume it's my keybaord at fault.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

xenic wrote:The only thing unusual that might affect keyboard use is that I am using an older PS2 keyboard with USB adapter. If nobody else can reproduce this then I'll assume it's my keybaord at fault.
Maybe you can try with a real USB keyboard. It's an important test to do. If it works then it's not an OS4 component which is faulty.
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

xenic wrote:Can anyone confirm the "first key after reboot won't repeat" problem I reported in my corrected response? To reproduce: Reboot, open a shell, press-and-hold a key and see if it repeats. I have the latest UBoot installed on my SAM Flex with OS4.1u2. The only thing unusual that might affect keyboard use is that I am using an older PS2 keyboard with USB adapter. If nobody else can reproduce this then I'll assume it's my keybaord at fault.
Yes. I seached my house and found a total of 3 USB native keyboards to try. On all three the first key pressd does not auto-repeat. The Dell and BCL multimedia keyboards the first keypress is 'lost' The other, a Fujitsu-Siemens, the first key pressed does appear, but doesn't repeat.

The fault is the same if I plug the keyboard into a uhci.usbhcd(53.1) port, or a ohci.usbhcd(53.9) port.

Regards
Darren
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Not sure if this adds any value to the thread but i can confirm this behaviour on a AmigaOneXE

UBoot: 1.1.1 (Mar 3 2005 - 16:42:53)
USB keyboard on USB port
AmigaOS4 all updates
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tbreeden

Post by tbreeden »

FWIW,

I've seen this problem fairly often on non-Amiga machines as well (though I first noticed it on the Amiga) - Dell with WinXP, maybe Win7, and maybe Linux. (Though most don't show it - or at least the users don't complain too much).

I sort of figured that it was a quirk of the USB hardware and have not tried to follow it up - I just type the key again :)

Tom
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Ok, I don't have such behaviours (both first key and key repeat) on the tested Update3 so I guess your problem will be gone when the update will go out of the door. :-)
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
trixie

Post by trixie »

Spectre660 wrote:Its is gone with U-Boot 1.3.1d on a Sam flex.
It is still there on my Sam440ep. I have U-Boot 1.3.1d and Update2 installed (uhci.usbhcd V53.7).
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition