MiniGL problems on my Sam460ex...

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Nicsoft

MiniGL problems on my Sam460ex...

Post by Nicsoft »

Having bought a Sam460ex. I have tried to run some games that requires MiniGL (OpenGL?)... None of them will run! :|

Is it because the lack of the: SM502 sound driver? Is it because the lack of a 3D driver for my graphics card: XFX HD4550 1GB DDR2 (Radeon RV710)?
Or is it because AmigaOS 4.1 update 2 is a "beta-version" regarding the Sam460ex?

I have checked with this archive:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... minigl.lha
That nothing is missing on the full AmigaOS 4.1 update 2 installation, that I did from the install CD...

This is how things "look":
http://home6.swipnet.se/~w-62298/minigl.html
Thanks in advance, for any suggestions/help - what to do...
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: MiniGL problems on my Sam460ex...

Post by Petrol »

I think the 3d Drivers for radeon HD4550 doesn't exist yet.

Petrol.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

Nicsoft wrote:Having bought a Sam460ex. I have tried to run some games that requires MiniGL (OpenGL?)... None of them will run! :|

Is it because the lack of the: SM502 sound driver? Is it because the lack of a 3D driver for my graphics card: XFX HD4550 1GB DDR2 (Radeon RV710)?
RadeonHD's are not supported by Warp3D as of now.

And please, if you report anything like this, make the description a bit longer than "none of them will run". Something like "The refuse to start" or "they come up with an error message saying no driver was found" would be a lot more informative.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
Nicsoft

Post by Nicsoft »

Hans-Joerg Frieden wrote:And please, if you report anything like this, make the description a bit longer than "none of them will run". Something like "The refuse to start" or "they come up with an error message saying no driver was found" would be a lot more informative.
Sorry! But didn't the link to the screenshots provide any useful info?

But. At least now I know then, why they refuse to run... I just have to wait until the drivers get ready...
Hopefully you guys have more time over for the Sam460ex:s now, when the AmigaOS 4.1 Classic is finished..?

Or is AmigaOS 4.1 for the X1000 occupying most of the time now..?
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

Nicsoft wrote:Sorry! But didn't the link to the screenshots provide any useful info?
Hm last time I checked there weren't any links, or I was blind (not excluding that possibility).

Anyway, you're missing SDL and OpenGL obviously, so this isn't related to MiniGL. The program you are trying to run probably requires them.
But. At least now I know then, why they refuse to run... I just have to wait until the drivers get ready...
Note that there is a good chance that will not happen; or, maybe, we'll write a state tracker for Gallium3d to emulate the Warp3D API; no idea yet.
Or is AmigaOS 4.1 for the X1000 occupying most of the time now..?
Right now, the X-1000 has priority.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@ Hans-Joerg Frieden
Note that there is a good chance that will not happen; or, maybe, we'll write a state tracker for Gallium3d to emulate the Warp3D API; no idea yet.
There is a chance that there maybe will not warp3d support at all for new radeons hd , not directly (what is expected) , not even via gallium-emulation (i was expect that it will be 100% done, without maybe) ? Because imho not give new users with RadeonsHD warp3d/minigl support in any form, will not give them possibility to run many games, demos and apps. I.e. they will have opengl, but will not able to run any opengl stuff from os4depot , will sound a bit bad imho.
Anyway, you're missing SDL and OpenGL obviously, so this isn't related to MiniGL. The program you are trying to run probably requires them.
On aos4 opengl = minigl, and when he have words "cant initi opengl" in any game or app, it mean minigl all the time of course. You know it for sure that everyone who make some ports for opengl, use only minigl on aos4 :) Just some apps / games write "opengl" words, but its only text, in reality its all minigl based of course.

@Nicsoft
All the games which you try on your link based on opengl (minigl in our case), and they all want it (Even if you will install SDL, you will have no luck). I.e.: Aquaria, Cube, Neverball, SuperTuxKart, Celestia - the all want opengl (minigl). Only GianasReturn maybe will works (as it not want opengl(minigl) ), just some shared SDL libs (all of which you can found on os4depot.net).
Nicsoft

Post by Nicsoft »

Hans-Joerg Frieden wrote:
Hm last time I checked there weren't any links, or I was blind (not excluding that possibility).
The links were there, all the time! :geek:
As stated previously. The MiniGL.lha (latest OS4) package is installed...
Right now, the X-1000 has priority.
!!! Doesn't ACube wan't to sell more Sam460ex:s ??? :shock:

ACube recommends the ATI RadeonHD 4650 (128 Bit)... But for a completely silent system they recommended me
a passively cooled HD4550 (64 Bit): http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/grap ... /4550.aspx
And an Intel 80GB SSD: http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/index.htm

ACube Peripherals & Accessories:
http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php? ... ware&pid=6
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Nicsoft
As stated previously. The MiniGL.lha (latest OS4) package is installed...
RadeonHD not have support of warp3d/minigl in any form currently. Even if you install it, it will not works. Just because there is no drivers for. What mean that you can't use any opengl games/apps/demos with any radeonHD card currently. Not those ones which use warp3d directly, not those ones which use opengl (minigl) (because minigl on os4 works over warp3d, and while you not have warp3d, you of course will not have minigl-opengl). You can try to use wazp3d emulation, but its software mode only, and of course slow and buggy.

Currently all what you can to do (if you want 3d on aos4) - its found somethere radeon9250. Its slow card of course, but currently it have full support by 2d and 3d.
Nicsoft

Post by Nicsoft »

kas1e wrote:@Nicsoft
Currently all what you can to do (if you want 3d on aos4) - its found somethere radeon9250. Its slow card of course, but currently it have full support by 2d and 3d.
I do understand that MiniGL doesn't work (on my system) "now"... But I wan't a PCIe-card, not a PCI-card.

Perhaps this will help "soon"?
http://hdrlab.org.nz/projects/amiga-os- ... hd-driver/
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Nicsoft
Yep. After a while gallium3d will be ported, and so, we will have full opengl realisation. Then, by logic, some warp3d/minigl emulation will be added, and so, all the users will able to use all the apps/games/demos which we have for now (which done for warp3d/minigl), and also any new ones, which will based on full opengl.

In other words solution for you or just wait when galium3d will be ported, and warp3d/minigl layer on top of that will be added (but after rogue says "maybe" i start to fear about), or just get slow PCI card (radeon9200/9250) with full 3d support (just as 'stop-gap' solution).