System (sam440flex) and Installation logging

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Belxjander

Re: Belxjander - System (sam440flex) and Installation loggin

Post by Belxjander »

Calgor wrote:I concur with xenic's post regarding the modifications, and the other previous suggestions.

Please if you can try a vanilla install on a new smallish partition (purely for testing purposes) to install from the base CD then apply the updates. From memory, the install script is not so complex for updates 3 and 4 that I looked at for the Classic install and I think it is the same install script (which takes a different path for Sam and copies the generic plus platform specific files). Although I am not a Sam user (classic and X1000 only) I am not aware of such install script issues for other users - someone please advise if that is not the case as it would be relevant info.

If the problem still occurs on that install, we can take a deeper look why it is failing.

If you have such an install script failure on a core update and then continue to install other applications on top, I expect it will not end well for those applications.
AND I RE=ITERATE...THE CUSTOMIZATIONS HAPPENED ****AFTER**** BLANK-SLATE INSTALLATION WHERE THE UPDATES FAILED DURING BLANK-SLATE INSTALLATION

THE CUSTOMIZATIONS BY-HAND WERE ALL DONE ****AFTER**** THE INSTALLERS FOR THE UPDATES HAD ALREADY REPEATEDLY FAILED

Is that not clear enough for everyone ?
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Just reading through this thread I can see opportunities for things to go wrong, perhaps people can't really see what problems you are having because they don't have the luxury of your grand design on readily available demand (your mind; the blue print)

I think once you start screwing around with the makeup of installations and the structures of directories and alike you're generally on your own, since you shouldn't be doing things like this unless you KNOW what you are doing, I used to do all sorts of whacky stuff myself but I never posted anywhere for assistance since I always knew what I was doing... I know that probably doesn't help but it's important to have a real good idea before doing anything "adventureous" otherwise you'll fall prey to frustration and might even end up typing responses in capital letters, good grief ;)

Why not start again and carefully evaluate everything that you do and try and see why things aren't working the way they are meant too. Afterall as far as I can tell you're just asking the crowd if they can see something you can't, but since you are correcting them for there own apparent blindness then perhaps you are the only one who can help you :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Slayer wrote:Just reading through this thread I can see opportunities for things to go wrong, perhaps people can't really see what problems you are having because they don't have the luxury of your grand design on readily available demand (your mind; the blue print)

I think once you start screwing around with the makeup of installations and the structures of directories and alike you're generally on your own, since you shouldn't be doing things like this unless you KNOW what you are doing, I used to do all sorts of whacky stuff myself but I never posted anywhere for assistance since I always knew what I was doing... I know that probably doesn't help but it's important to have a real good idea before doing anything "adventureous" otherwise you'll fall prey to frustration and might even end up typing responses in capital letters, good grief ;)

Why not start again and carefully evaluate everything that you do and try and see why things aren't working the way they are meant too. Afterall as far as I can tell you're just asking the crowd if they can see something you can't, but since you are correcting them for there own apparent blindness then perhaps you are the only one who can help you :D
I would if it would make a difference (I did the blank slate install twice already with the same two problems... customizations happened ***after*** the blank-slate installation to the hand-installation partition only... once python and TimberWolf had already both failed to work.

I7m not asking for what they can see that I can't I'm reporting the fact that python was broken *at*time*of*original*installation* and remained that way...
TimberWolf seems to be the only other program affected adversely and I don't know as to "why" that remains broken when everything is there.

For some reason *something* is missing and has anyone else run into those two programs not working for them? or has it only been me reporting those two as failing to run when everything else does? (ignoring my customized install entirely as it is an irrelevance for this discussion, it only came up since I mentioned it as part of my original posting however *all* the customization happened after python had already had the blank-slate installation completed.

I installed AmigaOS 4.x to the "Reservation" partition... booted from the Reservation partition and then proceeded to watch the python scripting and anything python related utterly and totally fail to run.

so where people seem to get tripped up is that I have mentioned customizing things... however *when* I customized my system was already AFTER the point where python had already failed.

TimberWolf was tested with and without the customizations and they are irrelevant (same results both times)
the one and only change I have set for both the "basic only" install on the Reservation and the "Customized hand-install" on the "Belxjander" partitions that they have in common is the Grim Reaper having a single location (Work:Development/CrashLogs/" being set for where to save crash logging...

regardless of "fresh from CD" booted and ready or "custom hand-installed" the results were basically the same...

Python and TimberWolf are the only two programs that I can report problems with.

Otherwise I have had *nothing* of note to report at all and everything else works fine (upto and including the older program errors that happen as they are expected somewhat due to the age of the code and being 68K material on a PPC system)
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Well that is indeed alot clearer, I assume you continued with your changes regardless of the failing software simply to see it through, or perhaps you're depending on a simple fix in place which isn't too much of a stretch anyway.

I have no idea about Python, but Timberwolf is completely independent and can be installed at any stage, perhaps there is a problem with the filesystem on the partition in question and I guess you would have read the exact procedure regarding the clearing of caches etc...

In short delete the entire Timberwolf directory and start again OR retrace the installation steps in the PDF as for Python, I do recall some threads but can't remember the details, do a few searches, perhaps a topic that is already in discussion pertains to your very situation...

Others might have more to say now since we've re-highlighted the points of concern :)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Slayer wrote:Well that is indeed alot clearer, I assume you continued with your changes regardless of the failing software simply to see it through, or perhaps you're depending on a simple fix in place which isn't too much of a stretch anyway.

I have no idea about Python, but Timberwolf is completely independent and can be installed at any stage, perhaps there is a problem with the filesystem on the partition in question and I guess you would have read the exact procedure regarding the clearing of caches etc...

In short delete the entire Timberwolf directory and start again OR retrace the installation steps in the PDF as for Python, I do recall some threads but can't remember the details, do a few searches, perhaps a topic that is already in discussion pertains to your very situation...

Others might have more to say now since we've re-highlighted the points of concern :)
well I will go hunting for more information and a working python installer yet again... I was wiping and re-installing the python and timberwolf materials from the archives I was able to find...

I was wondering what SObjs if any I was missing since it does seem related to that as well (I'll just go through re-installation of the entire system on the reservation drive yet again... maybe I should video this for everyone to see that I am using the stock installer and the customizations play no part of the problem?
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Do your problems start after trying to apply Update 2 ?
If so have a look at what update 2 does.Updates Python and adds some things needed for Timberwolf.
Maybe your download of the Update 2 archives is corrupted .

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/i ... &Itemid=18
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
xenic

Post by xenic »

Belxjander wrote: well I will go hunting for more information and a working python installer yet again... I was wiping and re-installing the python and timberwolf materials from the archives I was able to find...

I was wondering what SObjs if any I was missing since it does seem related to that as well (I'll just go through re-installation of the entire system on the reservation drive yet again... maybe I should video this for everyone to see that I am using the stock installer and the customizations play no part of the problem?
I don't know if you have a SAM Flex 800Mhz or a later 733Mhz model but I found Python files in these installations and updates if that helps: OS4.1 CD, OS4.1Update1 CD (released as ISO image), and Update2 archive. You only mention installing from a one CD but maybe the OS4.1Update1 CD was a complete install and the original isn't required.

I just did a complete reinstall on an extra partition of OS4.1, OS4.1Update1, OS4.1Update2, OS4.1Update3 and OS4.1Update4. The Python directory is a different size than the one on my boot partition so I checked them with
the CompareDirs utility from OS4Depot and 26 files are a different size. I have no idea how that happened. Unfortunately, to many system files have no version string with compile date so I have no idea if my Python installation is correct or not. I can't tell by the dates either because some of the Update2 Python files have earlier dates than the same files on the OS4.1 CD or OS4.1Update1 CD. Sorry, but there seems to be no way to tell if you have the right Python files. Good luck anyway.

Personal Plea to the OS4Devs: Please put version strings in all the system files for the next update!
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

Spectre660 wrote:Do your problems start after trying to apply Update 2 ?
If so have a look at what update 2 does.Updates Python and adds some things needed for Timberwolf.

How can any of us tell if we have the right files when there are no version strings or CRC type checks included in the archives?? I really think we need to have some sort of system utility that can check for a complete OS4 installation and the integrity of the system files. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have 26 Python files that are different sizes than the same files in the complete reinstallation I did on a test partition and have no idea why.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

xenic wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Do your problems start after trying to apply Update 2 ?

How can any of us tell if we have the right files when there are no version strings or CRC type checks included in the archives?? I really think we need to have some sort of system utility that can check for a complete OS4 installation and the integrity of the system files. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have 26 Python files that are different sizes than the same files in the complete reinstallation I did on a test partition and have no idea why.
Is your python functional in both installations?

Because I would like to verify my own system file set against someone elses (preferably in person but over a network link if there is no other choice) for the same reasoning as you put here.

It isn't so good that there is no way to validate "update package" archives and the contents
Spectre660

Re: System (sam440flex) and Installation logging

Post by Spectre660 »

Dont Know if this will help . It is a listing of a Clean Update 4 Python directory.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5429075/python.txt
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card