AmigaOne 500 issues

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
K-L

Re: AmigaOne 500 issues

Post by K-L »

Thematic (who ported Flare on AmigaOS 4) does say that it is not optimized at all (and that he doesn't really know how to do it), hence the slowness.

Flare is not a Pyhton game, it's an SDL games and SDL games run well either on Sam440/AmigaOne 500 or on my AmigaOne G4 1,26 Ghz.

Sam460/AmigaOne 500 are fast enough to cope with many games (Hurrican has been ported on a Sam460 setup by Huno). No oprimization = slowness, on any computer.
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: AmigaOne 500 issues

Post by kas1e »

Flare is not a Pyhton game
Where we say that Flare is a python game ? I say on example of python games, that some time, absolutly the same code 1:1 work pretty much different on sam and peg2 (and not on the slowest sams, on those ones with 800mhz). And there is not only about "optimized or not", but about the same code. Python games was as example. And Flare are another example as well: I.e. the same code sometime works fine on pegasos2, but by some reassons on even sams with 800mhz its woks _much_ slower. Not just few fps as we can expect, but just about 50-70% slower. And we take aside optimisation now , its a different story.

it's an SDL games and SDL games run well either on Sam440/AmigaOne 500 or on my AmigaOne G4 1,26 Ghz
Saying that "sdl games run well" its unfair. Its not matter SDL it or not. Some SDL games are fast, another ones are not. Its the same as say that opengl games works fast. Sure some are, but another ones are not. Aquaria, Gish, Hurrican, Lugaru, etc - they all done initially more or less fine and so we even on slow machines we see that they works fast. But let's say Nexiuz, SuperTuxKart, done as they done, and while they also use SDL , they slow like hell. Sure in most of them OpenGL are involved, but the point is that different games works different of course.
Sam460/AmigaOne 500 are fast enough to cope with many games (Hurrican has been ported on a Sam460 setup by Huno). No oprimization = slowness, on any computer.
I think you simplificy the things a lot. Different games done different. If hurrican works fast, its not because Huno make from slow games fast games, but because its initially done more or less well. Porters didn't rewrite whole logic of programms, they port it , with fixing of some bits and speedup some bits (but of course nothing radical, like total rewriting). Just Huno release only ports which works fast in end (but he have in pipeline very slow ports, like Frogatto), while other ones release everyhting.

And that is only one moment. Another ones, is that games are different all the time. Different quality, different quality of sounds, of textures, and so on. I.e. its not only matter of the how good initially code of game done, but also of their resources, how much of data they transfer and what kind of game is it at all. So while in your example Hurrican can works fast on SAMs, Flare works slow not only because of "no optimisation", but also because and of how it done by authors, and what kind of resources it take and what kind of game is it at all (2d or 3d, plain or isometric) and so on.

The main point which i trying to say in previous mail, that sometime, on SAMs, the same 1:1 code which works fast and fine on pegasos2 with 1ghz, works VERY slow on let's say sam800mhz. While you expect loosing of few FPS, its in end by some reassons slows on 50% or more. Those python games was as example of such behavior, and now, Flare another example as well (because it woks fast on my peg2 , and while we can expect that it should be "a bit " slower on SAMs its in end slower a lot)