Random mouse freeze (and sometimes keyboard too)

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Everblue

Random mouse freeze (and sometimes keyboard too)

Post by Everblue »

A very annoying problem I have been having since I received my Sam460ex last week is random mouse lockups. THe system would still continue to work normally (for example the clock would be still working) but the mouse would not move (sometimes the same thing happens but with the keyboard). I have tried a different mouse (using a Microsoft mouse now), but it still happens. On a couple of times I could not use the mouse directly after booting the system (!).

I have asked Acube about this problem but they have directed me here. Is there a fix for this? Thanks!
Spectre660

Re: Random mouse freeze (and sometimes keyboard too)

Post by Spectre660 »

which USB ports are your mouse and Keyboard attached to ?
I use the rear left for my mouse and rear right for my keyboard.my mouse is wireless with a very small usb receiver.
I get the mouse or keyboard problem on bootup or reboot but not the random problem.
Do you have any Dockies that run from Amigadock ?
I find that these can cause problems.Also Screenblanker. I dont use any of the modules.
Another area that can cause USB problems is the power supply according to Acube.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Spectre660 wrote:which USB ports are your mouse and Keyboard attached to ?
I use the rear left for my mouse and rear right for my keyboard.my mouse is wireless with a very small usb receiver.
I get the mouse or keyboard problem on bootup or reboot but not the random problem.
I find that these can cause problems.Also Screenblanker. I dont use any of the modules.
Another area that can cause USB problems is the power supply according to Acube.
Ok let's see....

1. Looking at the back of my case, the mouse is on the left, keyboard on the right.
2. Whats a Dockie?
3. I have disabled screenblanker.
4. I am using the power supply acube supplied with my system

The mouse/keyboard doesn't seem to lock while I am using the system, only when I leave it by it self for sometimes, and doesnt always happen.

Amigakit have claimed that with their boing mouse they are selling, it never gets stuck.... Not sure if its just a sales pitch though!
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

A docky is a little program which resides in AmiDock...actually it's a program that runs in the background.

What programs do you start from WBStartup?
I think, as it doesn't happen always and only when the machine is idle, it might be a program in the background that causes trouble.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

A Dockie is an app that is in AmiDock. Some like the CPU meter display info in their Amidock icon.
These are the one that I stay away from .

Have you installed your Radeon HD6570 Graphics card yet or not ?
If not yet then see what happens when you do.The extra load on the power supply from the graphics card could help.

Everblue wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:which USB ports are your mouse and Keyboard attached to ?
Ok let's see....

1. Looking at the back of my case, the mouse is on the left, keyboard on the right.
2. Whats a Dockie?
3. I have disabled screenblanker.
4. I am using the power supply acube supplied with my system

The mouse/keyboard doesn't seem to lock while I am using the system, only when I leave it by it self for sometimes, and doesnt always happen.

Amigakit have claimed that with their boing mouse they are selling, it never gets stuck.... Not sure if its just a sales pitch though!
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Ah ok I understand now. The only program that runs in the background is LimpidClock, I have added nothing else. Hope that helps. THanks!

Edit: Well, don't know if it makes a difference, but this one stays on the desktop, not inside AmiDock.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Everblue wrote:Ah ok I understand now. The only program that runs in the background is LimpidClock, I have added nothing else. Hope that helps. THanks!

Edit: Well, don't know if it makes a difference, but this one stays on the desktop, not inside AmiDock.
Exactly. LimpidClock is not a Dockie. It is just a regular program which is started automatically from your WBStartup.

Dockies are apps which create an icon-sized (typically) window within your AmiDock, like e.g. the CPUInfo program mentioned before. There are some Dockies in the Utilities/Dockies drawer, but if you haven't done anything yourself to add them to your AmiDock, I don't think any of them are active. Unless of course ACube or whoever configured some for you.

But there are other programs which run in the background, LimpidClock being one of them, as well as more or less any program which can be started from WBStartup. Another common variety are Commodities (which live in - you guessed it - the Utilities/Commodities drawer). You probably have at least some of those running, e.g. RAWBInfo and AmiDock, probably also ClickToFront. You can check which ones are active by running the Exchange program in the Commodities drawer. In fact, you might want to start that as one of your commodities from WBStartup, so you can always bring it up (Ctrl+Alt+Help/Scroll Lock) for a quick overview.

Best regards,

Niels
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Well, I haven't added any dockies myself. I have asked a bit around and it seems I am not the only person experiencing random mouse freeze. Anything I could try to get this problem solved once for all?

PS. My 6570 is still on the way, hopefully it will fix some problems when I get it... such as:
1. Hiss on my audio (its really, really, annoying)
2. Random mouse/keybaord freezes
3. Random internet drops
Yep, my system is a collection of bugs.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Just happened again this morning :shock:

I switch on the Sam460... keyboard locked, need restart. Awesome not :?
seventhwonder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by seventhwonder »

have you tried using a usb hub for your mouse and kb ?
AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
**AmigaOne X5000 + 8GB RAM + Radeon RX 560 4GB
**Tabor A1222 + 2GB RAM + Radeon RX 550 2GB **
**Sam460 + 2GB RAM + Radeon RX 550 2GB **