Broken USB on first boot up

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
DanielAllsopp

Broken USB on first boot up

Post by DanielAllsopp »

Just started getting back into my Amiga, and have recently done a fresh install of OS4.1 all the way up to update 6. Everything seems fine, apart from (seemingly random) instances when after the machine has booted into Workbench, either the mouse, the keyboard, or both are not available. The only way to make them available to the system is to unplug and then plug them back in, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

I think last night, I must have unplugged/plugged the keyboard in 4 or 5 times before the system would recognise it. At which point, when it was recognised, the system would kill of the mouse and I'd have to go through the whole rigmarole of doing the same with the mouse.

Both the keyboard and the mouse are plugged directly into the back of the machine, i.e. there's no hub involved here.

The machine itself is a mini-itx Sam440, the keyboard is a wired full-size Apple keyboard (with flat keys, so latest gen) and the mouse is an optical Microsoft one.

Has this been mentioned previously, and/or any fixes found? It's quite annoying to have to keep unplugging and plugging the devices in each time I boot. They never drop out whilst I'm using them, just upon first boot (unless, as previously said, I'm trying to get the non-recognised device to work).

Thanks for any help, and/or pointers.

Cheers,
Daniel
Spectre660

Re: Broken USB on first boot up

Post by Spectre660 »

I use the Amigaone Keyboard from A-Eon and a Logitech wireless trackball m570 on both my Sam440ep-flex and Sam460ex.
I never have any problems with these on the Sam440ep-Flex but have the same problem with the Sam460ex.
It looks to be a hardware thing on the Sam440ep. If you can then try some other mice and keyboards. If no luck then look at the power supply .
DanielAllsopp wrote:Just started getting back into my Amiga, and have recently done a fresh install of OS4.1 all the way up to update 6. Everything seems fine, apart from (seemingly random) instances when after the machine has booted into Workbench, either the mouse, the keyboard, or both are not available. The only way to make them available to the system is to unplug and then plug them back in, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

I think last night, I must have unplugged/plugged the keyboard in 4 or 5 times before the system would recognise it. At which point, when it was recognised, the system would kill of the mouse and I'd have to go through the whole rigmarole of doing the same with the mouse.

Both the keyboard and the mouse are plugged directly into the back of the machine, i.e. there's no hub involved here.

The machine itself is a mini-itx Sam440, the keyboard is a wired full-size Apple keyboard (with flat keys, so latest gen) and the mouse is an optical Microsoft one.

Has this been mentioned previously, and/or any fixes found? It's quite annoying to have to keep unplugging and plugging the devices in each time I boot. They never drop out whilst I'm using them, just upon first boot (unless, as previously said, I'm trying to get the non-recognised device to work).

Cheers,
Daniel
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
chris

Post by chris »

DanielAllsopp wrote:Just started getting back into my Amiga, and have recently done a fresh install of OS4.1 all the way up to update 6. Everything seems fine, apart from (seemingly random) instances when after the machine has booted into Workbench, either the mouse, the keyboard, or both are not available. The only way to make them available to the system is to unplug and then plug them back in, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

It's a common problem, actually the thread two down from this one is discussing the same thing http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =17&t=1471

Apparently hubs are the usual culprit, but the "root hub" that is always present appears to have exactly the same problem. I get it here too, with a hub it's often unuseable, but without one keyboard/mouse still randomly decide not to work after boot up.

It broke around update 3 and is incredibly annoying that it hasn't been fixed yet.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@DanielAllsopp

I had similar problems with my SAM Flex. I seldom lost the mouse but lost keyboard input frequently. I created a short script to reset USB and added it to my AmiDock. When my keyboard goes dead, I just click the icon on AmiDock and get my keyboard back. I've now switched to an X1000 and haven't had that problem. It does seem to be a SAM problem that started somewhere back around update 3 or 4.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Mozzerfan

Post by Mozzerfan »

I had the same problem with my sam460EX (with an a-eon mouse and an old logitech wireless keyboard).
At first I had to disable USB2 (ehci) in kicklayout to prevent this from happening, but
now I have disabled bootmouse and bootkeyboard in kicklayout and this also helps to solve the problem.
USB is rock solid now, even with USB2 enabled.
The only disadvantage is that I can't access the bootmenu anymore after the kickstart files are loaded.
I've tried adding hid.usbfd to kicklayout (after moving it from DEVS:usb to sys:kickstart), and then I can access the bootmenu again, but when I do that
my gamepad isn't recognized anymore and I have to unplug it and plug it in again after WB has loaded.

Cheers,
Daniel
DanielAllsopp

Post by DanielAllsopp »

Thanks for the responses guys. I've solved it (well I appear to have) by disabled USB2.0 in the kicklayout.

Seems stable for now! :-)