uboot reporting drive read errors on brand new drive

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
barana

Re: uboot reporting drive read errors on brand new drive

Post by barana »

Ok, tried with my x86 laptop, aros installs and boots, puppy linux installs and boots. :(

Lawrence, u have a newer uboot than mine, do u have a 460?
Or is the date in brackets the uboot's install date ?
When I get home I will print the settings out and compare.
I am using the onboard sata bus.
How did you list the uboot parameters?
Thankyou for the help:)
lozspd4

Post by lozspd4 »

Hi Barana
Yes I do have a AmigaONE 500 with sam460ex Board ist about 8days old now
Ref U-Boot date i think it was the install date the Version number is the most important.

If you wish to print out your varables which is recomended so that you have a hard copy, is open Shell or cli and type following:

NVGetVar >RAM:varlist

This will place a text document in ram: called varlist which you can then view with Notepad save it. IT is wise to get it printed onto paper Keep it safe.(Boot from os4.1cd if hd doesnt work).

Using the onboard sata isn,t a wise idea as it is still beta Driver and doesn,t Support DMA. Plus you cannot use the pcie x1 Slot on the board. Best Option is to get a pci sata Controller either sii3114 4 port or sii3112 2 port. These work Well with just about every sata drive.

If you live here in Germany i can send you a sii3112 which came with the Machine as i since have fitted a sii 3114 , as i am using 1x64gb ssd crusial 2.5" 1x 500gb Samsung 2.5" and 1x DVD drive. All working perfect Thanks to the os4.1 Crew in full udma after update 5.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards Laurence
barana

Post by barana »

Thankyou very much for helping me lawrence.

I think I will, until acube updates the onboard sata drivers, boot the kickstart from the sd card, then using the early boot menu switch over to the hdd.That will work.
thanks for your kind offer of a card, but the sdcard boot shall do for now. (and is cheaper).
and thanks for all your troubleshooting help. much appreciated !
have a great day!
lozspd4

Post by lozspd4 »

Hi barana
Your most welcome

regards Laurence
barana

Post by barana »

well ive shelved the amiga for nearly a year, because i was pulling out my hair... and still even now tonight i pull it out and try to get something working with it, it gives me much greif.I'm running update 6 and still to this day the onboard sata poort is flakey.
it will no longer boot any of my hdd's.
I have a catweasel card which takes up the pci slot, and i dont think there are any pcie 1x sata cards out there with drivers for aos.
the pcie 16x slot i want to reserve for a vid card.
my old hdd nolonger boots, and my new hdd wont boot.
I'm so frustrated it doesnt work and that the decent job ive been patiently waiting for(for 12months) looks shakey.I'm a pauper, who still owes templario for the other half of the money for the oldskool amiga case with no job to back it up, or to make this half broken mobo work.Its stupifyingly frustrating.
I was a freaking simpleton for thinknig this thing would work out of the box. or that acube would rectify the drivers so .00000001 of the amiga community who NEEDS to use the onboard port would(me), because everyone else is happily using a sata pci card.
I cant boot off the sdcard and switch over to the hdd on the early boot menu, as it locks up....
barana

Post by barana »

laurence, i see in your uboot env variables, you have uboot 2010.06.05a (jan 2012) whereas I have 2010.06.05 (april 14 2011) yet your update isnt on the acube site. where did u get it?
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Sounds like your hard drive models may have a problem with the onboard SATA controller.
Acube use Western Digital 500GB models .
Why dont you take out the catweasel and get a PCI SATA card ?.
If your case is wide enough you may be able to get the catweasel to work with a PCIex1 to pci adapter in the PCIEx1 slot.
This option does not work with a bootable PCI cardlike a SATA card but works with a non bootable card like a networkcard or sound card etc.

barana wrote:well ive shelved the amiga for nearly a year, because i was pulling out my hair... and still even now tonight i pull it out and try to get something working with it, it gives me much greif.I'm running update 6 and still to this day the onboard sata poort is flakey.
it will no longer boot any of my hdd's.
I have a catweasel card which takes up the pci slot, and i dont think there are any pcie 1x sata cards out there with drivers for aos.
the pcie 16x slot i want to reserve for a vid card.
my old hdd nolonger boots, and my new hdd wont boot.
I'm so frustrated it doesnt work and that the decent job ive been patiently waiting for(for 12months) looks shakey.I'm a pauper, who still owes templario for the other half of the money for the oldskool amiga case with no job to back it up, or to make this half broken mobo work.Its stupifyingly frustrating.
I was a freaking simpleton for thinknig this thing would work out of the box. or that acube would rectify the drivers so .00000001 of the amiga community who NEEDS to use the onboard port would(me), because everyone else is happily using a sata pci card.
I cant boot off the sdcard and switch over to the hdd on the early boot menu, as it locks up....
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card