SAM 460EX frequently freeze

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
toolkitman

SAM 460EX frequently freeze

Post by toolkitman »

Hi,
I have a new THE RED ONE X sistems, i have installed Amiga OS 4.1.6 with all the possible updates, My problem is that i have frequently freeze of the system when using whdload games in runinuae and sometimes coping files from usb stick to hard disk and with other tasks. Is this normal or there is a fix?

Thanks
Mozzerfan

Re: SAM 460EX frequently freeze

Post by Mozzerfan »

Hi,

I too have a Red one X system. I ordered the system with a 2 GB Kingston RAM module.
When I received my sytem I had all kinds of strange freezes, block errors with my harddisk and strange program errors.
I suspected the RAM module to be the culprit, so I bought a used 1 GB module on ebay (a Hynix module).
Since then my system is rock solid (for almost 1 year now). Later I tried another 2 GB module from hynix and when I try to use over 1 GB of RAM I get strange crashes with that one too.
toolkitman

Post by toolkitman »

I thought it was a problem of ram because using ppcmemtest and memtester to make a ram test i got a computer shutdown no way to have a test result! this under Amiga os 4.1.6. Then i tried under Amiga OS 4.1.2 and the tests was made correctly with no error. So i think this is a problem with Amiga OS 4.1.6 and 2 GB of ram because i have also 2gb of ram The red one x machine.

Thank you for your help
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

There also can be problems with "catweasel device" on UAE Games, i had to remove this device and less problems.

I also had freezes on my system also while copying files, all problems where heat problems (build a silent Sam460 system, all passive components but the RadeonHD was too hot, now i have 2 Fans in the Tower and it runs fine).

Ram Problems: Alinea Computer have build in Kingston Ram, they mean that the Sam460 works best with this kind of Memory.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

imagodespira wrote:I also had freezes on my system also while copying files, all problems where heat problems (build a silent Sam460 system, all passive components but the RadeonHD was too hot, now i have 2 Fans in the Tower and it runs fine).
I had similar problems with my 460ex system. Besides adding a case fan, I also upgraded the power supply which helped eliminate some infrequent USB issues.
ExecSG Team Lead
toolkitman

Post by toolkitman »

I will add a fun, my system is completly fanless!
I have freeze also playing dvd with DVPlayer after some minutes windowed or full screen.
I had freeze downloading nexuiz from amiga os 4 site with ibrowse.
I had freeze doing nothing after decompressing a large file.
So i have freeze all the way i'm really unhappy of this system it's unusable.
Mozzerfan

Post by Mozzerfan »

To rule out cooling problems, the relec red one x has a case fan.
Mine was not connected, and I never have connected it, but you can try to connect the case fan, just to test if your system runs better.
When I had problems with my system, memtest gave me no errors, but I had so much problems that I still suspected the RAM to be faulty, and I was right.

edit: BTW I also have a fanless system. My gfx-card is a passively cooled sapphire HD-radeon 6570 ultimate. I never had any heat problems or psu-problems with my red one x system.
Nicsoft

Post by Nicsoft »

My Sam 460ex system was delivered fitted with an ADATA SODIMM DDR2 667MHz 2GB (from my locale supplier). It made AmigaOS very unstable!
For a long time I didn't understand what caused all the crashes and freezes (especially MuiOWB was always crashing)...

I contacted ACube who responded. I (Enrico Vidale) suggest that you use RAM modules which are CL 6 (Cas Latency) and not CL 5 ones.
So I replaced my memory with a Kingston SODIMM DDR2 800MHz 2GB instead and now AmigaOS works perfect!
toolkitman

Post by toolkitman »

I have solved this problem adding a rear 120mm fan in my case. Now the system is rock solid!!!
Thank you for your help
It was a overheating problem : ).
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Mozzerfan wrote: I too have a Red one X system. I ordered the system with a 2 GB Kingston RAM module.
When I received my sytem I had all kinds of strange freezes, block errors with my harddisk and strange program errors.
I suspected the RAM module to be the culprit, so I bought a used 1 GB module on ebay (a Hynix module).
Since then my system is rock solid (for almost 1 year now). Later I tried another 2 GB module from hynix and when I try to use over 1 GB of RAM I get strange crashes with that one too.
Did you report to Relec about that problem? What did they say, didn't they offer another RAM module for replacement?

Gregor