PCIe 1x and ESI Juli@Xte

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Joeled

Re: PCIe 1x and ESI Juli@Xte

Post by Joeled »

I bought a Juli@ Xte PCIe to use with my sam460 and AOS4.1.6. How do i configure it right in AHI? I choosed ENVY24HT:HIFI 16 bit stereo++ on music unit and all of the other units(0-3). I manage to get the sound booting and amigaamp is also playing my music but after 1-2 minuts everything gets silent and no music. I started a movie using mplayer and it freezed after 5 seconds. Maybe a coincidence?

Any good info how to configure it? The sound is really excellent :D
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Joeled wrote:I bought a Juli@ Xte PCIe to use with my sam460 and AOS4.1.6. How do i configure it right in AHI? I choosed ENVY24HT:HIFI 16 bit stereo++ on music unit and all of the other units(0-3). I manage to get the sound booting and amigaamp is also playing my music but after 1-2 minuts everything gets silent and no music. I started a movie using mplayer and it freezed after 5 seconds. Maybe a coincidence?

Any good info how to configure it? The sound is really excellent :D
Do you happen to have the SM502 onboard AHI driver in DEVS:, along with the Envy24HT AHI driver? If so, it possible that they are "conflicting" with each other. Try to put the SM502 AHI driver back to the Storage where the unused AHI drivers are, and let DEVS: focus on the Envy24HT AHI driver instead, and see if that causes an effect? Also, i believe that AmigaAMP is using UNIT 0 from AHI for audio. Try and

The ESI@Juli XTe i said to be able to use sample rate up to 192Khz (!), so you can try to have that sampling rate and see if you notice something cool :) Choose Save As and call the file AHI.ESI@JuliXTe for instance, which will be saved into Prefs:Presets, and remember a backup. It's worth a try.

I admit i'm very interested into such an audio card, but i hope to see AHI drivers supporting higher quality than just 16 bit. Congratulation on the new audio card, my friend :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

Got it working now. I had some strange problems with amigaamp but now its perfect.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Joeled wrote:Got it working now. I had some strange problems with amigaamp but now its perfect.
Glad you got it working :) Enjoy your new card :D
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Awaiting the ESI@Juli XTe PCIe x1 audio card myself, there are something i want to point out to everybody here.

The Envy24HT support needs to be improved even further. There are especially 2 noticeable things that need to be improved.

1. We need to break the 16 bit barrier and to try incorporating both 20 bit and 24 bit support for cards supporting these modes in AHI. For instance, the ESI@Juli XTe is a TRUE 24 bit audio card, with a sample rate of total 192Khz! It would be nice if AHI could make use of HIGHER qualites than just 16 bit! Multi track recording should also be possible.

2. Cards like ESI@Juli XTe doesn't feature Mixer support, but there has to be a way to get full Mixer support so that things like the volume, bass and discant can be adjusted. That would mean to fully use the Mixer anyway, and i hope it will be possible to gain full Mixer support for cards like the ESI@Juli XTe.

Keep up the excellent work! :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

My problem is back. My sound is disappearing after a couple of minutes using amigaamp or mplayer and a video. All my music units are ENVY24HT:HIFI 16 bit stereo++. Can someone please help me?
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Joeled wrote:My problem is back. My sound is disappearing after a couple of minutes using amigaamp or mplayer and a video. All my music units are ENVY24HT:HIFI 16 bit stereo++. Can someone please help me?
Hmmm, not sure how to help you, but from my own experience, then with the onboard SM502, i did a Hard Reboot when audio disappeared due to an error under boot that might happen now and then, especially when some programs crashed or locked up and you try to Soft reboot too quickly. A Hard Reboot should usually solve the audio coming back.

Also, may i suggest you (when getting the audio to work) go into the AHI Preference and right-click the mouse button to choose Save As, then save the file as AHI.ESI@JuliXTe, which is to be in SYS:Prefs/Presets. This way, audio settings should easily be picked up again.

If this doesn't help, try contacting Florian for instance? He was the first to confirm that the card worked in AmigaOne 500, right? Perhaps HE is able to help you out? It's worth a try.

Good luck my friend :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

I just got my ESI@Juli XTe PCI-e audio card and it works like a charm! Using RCA connectors, of course, and a sampling rate of 96Hz! While the audio is crystal clear and excellent, i do miss Mixer control of the volume and 24 bit AHI mode from it.

Despite these limitations, i am very happy with my audio card. Here are my pictures.
Attachments
JuliXTe.png
My settings of the ESI@Juli XTe card in AHI
(503.63 KiB) Downloaded 1127 times
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

Well its working randonly. Sometimes its playing a couple of minutes than amigaamp and the sound just stopped. A couple of times i started to here a crackling sound and after a while the sound disappears. I tried amigaamp and mplayer with a video same problem. I have removed the card and insert it again in pci-e but with same result. Maybe i need to do a reinstall?
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Joeled wrote:Well its working randonly. Sometimes its playing a couple of minutes than amigaamp and the sound just stopped. A couple of times i started to here a crackling sound and after a while the sound disappears. I tried amigaamp and mplayer with a video same problem. I have removed the card and insert it again in pci-e but with same result. Maybe i need to do a reinstall?
First, you need to check if your card is fitted correctly into the PCIe x1 socket. Secondly, you would probably do a re-installation and see if it will be working.

I came over something interesting, if you are interested to test out. This kind of digital connection for the ESI@Juli XTe card.

http://www.tutschku.com/bilder2/Stuecke ... -cable.jpg

This is the possible digital cable to use on the digital connectors of ESI@Juli XTe. I might test this out this summer. I will carefully try to swap the I/O bracket of the card, as carefully instructed in the manual. But need to get this kind of TRS mini Jack :) I just have to be sure this is the kind of connection that will fit into the digital connectors of ESI@Juli XTe.

UPDATE: By the way, could somebody PLEASE try to make full Mixer support for ESI@Juli XTe? It would be nice to be able to boost the volume in the same way as with other audio system fully supported by the Mixer.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway