SiliconMotion 502

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
djrikki

SiliconMotion 502

Post by djrikki »

Hello,

There was an update today for the SiliconMotion 502 Driver present in my SAM so I went to check on two monitors that I have sat around the office doing nothing, on installing the driver and hard resetting on both occasoins to the Workbench screen resulted nothing appearing on screen. The monitor didn't blink an eyelid.

1st Monitor: Dell LCD Monitor, May 2006, REV A03

2nd Monitor: Lenovo LCD Monitor, August 2008, 9227-AB6
Spectre660

Re: SiliconMotion 502

Post by Spectre660 »

I just tried it on my system with the new Silicon Motion driver and again it works ok for me.
Nothing will appear on the second monitor until you redirect the screen output prefs of a program to use it.
For example Yam using mui settings and setting the screen prefs to a SiliconMotion screen.
You need to check that the SiliconMotion screens appear in the workbench Screenmode prefs first.
If they do not then something else is not right .
This could be related to the tooltypes in your monitor drivers in Devs:Monitors .
djrikki wrote:Hello,

There was an update today for the SiliconMotion 502 Driver present in my SAM so I went to check on two monitors that I have sat around the office doing nothing, on installing the driver and hard resetting on both occasoins to the Workbench screen resulted nothing appearing on screen. The monitor didn't blink an eyelid.

1st Monitor: Dell LCD Monitor, May 2006, REV A03

2nd Monitor: Lenovo LCD Monitor, August 2008, 9227-AB6
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I get the impression that you don't normally use the Silicon Motion gfx in your Sam because you have a plug-in video card. If so, you may have forgotten that you have to switch from "External Video card" to "Silicon Motion" in U-Boot prefs before you will see anything.

If you want to try it, I warn you that you can get yourself tied up in knots with no display, quite easily. You have to interrupt the boot process with the keyboard, that will only work if the keyboard is plugged into the preferred USB slot.

Hard reset the machine, then go into U-Boot and select the video choice (I can't remember what it's called). Set it to "Silicon Motion", save settings and make sure that you have a monitor connected to the on-board output. Lastly, reboot using the case reset switch.

If you simply want to try it out, you are probably better off staying with the plug-in card.
cheers
tony
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I think that he is trying to do this again.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... orum=14&19

With a single monitor connected , to the Silicon Motion output ,Workbench will come up even without changing the "External video card " output in Uboot.

tonyw wrote:I get the impression that you don't normally use the Silicon Motion gfx in your Sam because you have a plug-in video card. If so, you may have forgotten that you have to switch from "External Video card" to "Silicon Motion" in U-Boot prefs before you will see anything.

If you want to try it, I warn you that you can get yourself tied up in knots with no display, quite easily. You have to interrupt the boot process with the keyboard, that will only work if the keyboard is plugged into the preferred USB slot.

Hard reset the machine, then go into U-Boot and select the video choice (I can't remember what it's called). Set it to "Silicon Motion", save settings and make sure that you have a monitor connected to the on-board output. Lastly, reboot using the case reset switch.

If you simply want to try it out, you are probably better off staying with the plug-in card.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

I am simply expecting an extended Workbench screen to appear on the second monitor like on other OSes, moving the mouse from one screen to the next.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

[edit] Sorry, I was being rude.[/edit]

No, there is no support for such a function in AmigaOS. It would have to be Workbench that displayed itself over two displays, and then you are left with the problem that something else (input.device) has to know how far the mouse can be moved, etc.

Picasso96 (the basic graphics package) can only handle a single display at a a time. There are some "hacks" around that allow two video cards to work, but I don't think any of them has done what you are hoping for.
cheers
tony
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

djrikki wrote:I am simply expecting an extended Workbench screen to appear on the second monitor like on other OSes, moving the mouse from one screen to the next.
That feature does not yet exist.

So there actually is no problem then? If so, please mark the topic as "solved".
ExecSG Team Lead
Interrogative

Post by Interrogative »

I did not have the above problem with the new SM502 driver; however, I did have a problem. After updating to 59.10, I would get a red box guru meditation when cold booting. When I rebooted, the guru would not reappear. I rolled back the SM502 to 59.9. Guru meditations disappeared.
Motherboard: SAM460ex lite @1017 MHz 2 GB DDR2 SOLD
PCIe 4x: XFX Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1 GB SOLD
PCI: SYBA SY-SA3512-2R 2 Port SATA SOLD
PCIe 1x: Vantec UGT-S110 7.1 Audio SOLD
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I have had this too a while ago. But it would have been with the old driver.Dont have the problem any more.
Cant remember what graphics card I was using at that time. Would have either been a Radeon HD4850 or my current card a Radeon HD6670.
I would have also changed the Radeon HD driver versions either once or twice, now up to version 0.55 .

Interrogative wrote:I did not have the above problem with the new SM502 driver; however, I did have a problem. After updating to 59.10, I would get a red box guru meditation when cold booting. When I rebooted, the guru would not reappear. I rolled back the SM502 to 59.9. Guru meditations disappeared.
Interrogative

Post by Interrogative »

In other words, I should buy the updated RadeonHD driver from A-Eon. I am currently using the last free update (0.32).
Motherboard: SAM460ex lite @1017 MHz 2 GB DDR2 SOLD
PCIe 4x: XFX Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1 GB SOLD
PCI: SYBA SY-SA3512-2R 2 Port SATA SOLD
PCIe 1x: Vantec UGT-S110 7.1 Audio SOLD