SAM440 freezes using both ethernet ports

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: SAM440 freezes using both ethernet ports

Post by ChrisH »

nbache wrote:don't forget that those "other OSs" can afford to make sure drivers will always be available for whatever hardware they may find themselves having to use. If e.g. I had installed OS 4.1 on my A1200, and it had had a default network setup included, my machine would most likely fail to boot after installation because cnet.device wasn't found in DEVS:Networks.
This sounds like a non-problem to me, or at least a defeatist attitude: You automatically set-up DHCP for whatever network device is detected as required, or known to be available, or worst case whatever device the user selects. On the Sam440 you know what ethernet it has built in, etc.
And worse: The sound may be set to a level which actually destroys the users speakers and/or ears.
I don't understand that. No other OS has such a problem. It may default to a low volume level (e.g. Windows), but not muted. But in the end it's the user's problem to set their speakers to a low level before connecting some new equipment.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ChrisH wrote:
nbache wrote:don't forget that those "other OSs" can afford to make sure drivers will always be available for whatever hardware they may find themselves having to use. If e.g. I had installed OS 4.1 on my A1200, and it had had a default network setup included, my machine would most likely fail to boot after installation because cnet.device wasn't found in DEVS:Networks.
This sounds like a non-problem to me, or at least a defeatist attitude: You automatically set-up DHCP for whatever network device is detected as required, or known to be available, or worst case whatever device the user selects. On the Sam440 you know what ethernet it has built in, etc.
It is definitely not a non-problem on my A1200, if I haven't remembered to copy cnet.device before attempting to set up the network, it can't be done. And if such a configuration file had been installed automatically, I'm pretty sure it would stall the boot (haven't actually tested this, though).

Cnet.device can't be included with the OS for license reasons (AFAIK). So the only option would be to leave Classic machines - or at least A1200s - with no network configuration.

But you are right in saying that a Sam is easier; it could actually be supported with one configuration auto-installed.
And worse: The sound may be set to a level which actually destroys the users speakers and/or ears.
I don't understand that. No other OS has such a problem. It may default to a low volume level (e.g. Windows), but not muted. But in the end it's the user's problem to set their speakers to a low level before connecting some new equipment.
Well, you could say that. I am in favour of playing it safe and trying to avoid mishaps like that, even if the user "acts stupid".

I don't know what "other OSs" do to avoid such problems, but part of it may be a better integration or "cooperation" between the driver and the hardware; I imagine e.g. a Windows driver created specifically for a certain sound card would be able to negotiate with the card for parameters which could help in making a safe setup. This might require tricks like AmigaOS is using with graphics cards, i.e. executing parts of the hardware's x86 BIOS emulated. Note, I don't know if this is actually the case, it's just a hypothesis used as an example.

Anyway, for both network and sound setup, it is not like the setup procedure is hidden away from the user; both are presented very clearly as options on the post-install screen after installing OS4.

Best regards,

Niels
samo79

Post by samo79 »

ssolie wrote:The driver only supports one ethernet port at a time.
Any news about this, maybe for Update 4/5 or atleast for AmigaOS 4.2 ? 8-)