Morning horror! (SOLVED..I guess)

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Delta

Morning horror! (SOLVED..I guess)

Post by Delta »

Woke up in horror this morning to this message when trying to boot my SAM460:

Error message:
AOS4 FLB
Bad checksum while reading second level bootloader
Error (no IRQ) dev 0 blk 8: status 0xd0
Loadsector: error when reading from block 8
FLB: no SLB found in any of the designated boot sources; returning to u-boot.
Press any key to continue

What is that and how can I fix it?

Thank you
Last edited by Delta on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=Delta
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Morning horror!

Post by salass00 »

FWIW I get a message like that sometimes (rarely) on my Sam460 but doing a reset by quickly pressing the power button (not holding it down) always fixes it for me.
Delta

Post by Delta »

Wish it was that simple but nope, no success
-=Delta
Delta

Post by Delta »

I've tested the drive on both my SATA card and the onboard controller and get the same error message: No SLB found. It's like the drive just got corrupted for no reason since the Amiga was idle all night.
-=Delta
Delta

Post by Delta »

Replugged the SATA card and reconnected both DVD and HDD and guess what? It just decided to work now...what the hell is going on? Is this a known SAM "feature" ?

How can my SLB disappear and reappear like that?
-=Delta
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Delta wrote:Replugged the SATA card and reconnected both DVD and HDD and guess what? It just decided to work now...what the hell is going on? Is this a known SAM "feature" ?

How can my SLB disappear and reappear like that?
Probably the SATA card came loose?
If you let the SAM run overnight it might have become cozy and warm in there...that probably settled the card a bit.
The error you get is just a random error because your SAM couldn't read all of the data, next time the card's gone loose (god forbids) maybe another similar error will pop up.
Probably it tried to read the attached drive but couldn't...first thing to read in is the SLB from the drive, but again, couldn't...along comes your error :-)

Glad to hear that you fixed it
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Delta

Post by Delta »

Raziel wrote: Probably the SATA card came loose?
If you let the SAM run overnight it might have become cozy and warm in there...that probably settled the card a bit.
The error you get is just a random error because your SAM couldn't read all of the data, next time the card's gone loose (god forbids) maybe another similar error will pop up.
Probably it tried to read the attached drive but couldn't...first thing to read in is the SLB from the drive, but again, couldn't...along comes your error :-)
Glad to hear that you fixed it
It could be a possibilty indeed. If that's the case i'll fetch the glue gun right away ;)
-=Delta
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Morning horror! (SOLVED..I guess)

Post by tonyw »

It could also be the SATA cables. Whoever designed those cables deserves to be shot.

Try to re-route the cable and bend it so that it does not put any force on the connectors. If it pulls the connector to one side, it will generate intermittents.

The SATA cables with little metal clips to hold them straight are a lot more reliable.
cheers
tony
Delta

Re: Morning horror! (SOLVED..I guess)

Post by Delta »

tonyw wrote:It could also be the SATA cables. Whoever designed those cables deserves to be shot.
Try to re-route the cable and bend it so that it does not put any force on the connectors. If it pulls the connector to one side, it will generate intermittents.
The SATA cables with little metal clips to hold them straight are a lot more reliable.
Might as well use the glue gun for the connectors, not only the card. I noticed this is used a lot on the market for various devices.
-=Delta