Nightmare with SAM460ex & WHDLoad configuration

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
WeiXing3D

Nightmare with SAM460ex & WHDLoad configuration

Post by WeiXing3D »

I just bought a second hand SAM460ex here in the States, a few days ago, In fact today is my 3rd day trying to do something meaningful with my computer.

Since I have done so little until this point in my third using my "new" computer, I'm hoping that this mess that I have created could be fix or undo. This is an account of what I did and where I am now:

1. I wanted to install my own WHDLoad key to use the WHDLoad slaves that came with my computer. They were working but loading was slow because of the extra screens at launch for unregistered versions of whdload.

2. Following advice in the Amigaworld.net forum, I installed the 3 keys that came with my registration in SYS: S, C and L. That didn't fix the problem, and I wasn't able to use RunInUAE or launch WHDLoad slaves anymore. I wasd getting a message while WB classi was being launch saying something "Looking in C" or "Launching in C"

3. So I was asked to install WHDLOad again using WHDLoad-to-UAE found in OS4depot. I installed it in SYS:Emulation/ installation I got it to work, but with these a new screen opening (see script above in this same thread) and a second screen afterwards, asking me to select the screen mode.

4. After I select 800 x 600 I get the same to work, but I have a white border around the game window.

Can anyone guide me with steps-by steps instructions to undo or fix this problem? How can I restore my normal RunInUAE settings and keep WHDLoad configured correctly?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Raziel

Re: Nightmare with SAM460ex & WHDLoad configuration

Post by Raziel »

Oh my, i read your troubles over at AW.net

Lets get a few things straight.
You don't need to install WHDLoad *or* your key into your AmigaOS4 installation!
So, if you got any key in Sys:C, Sys:L, Sys:S --> remove them.
Also remove a potentially installed WHDLoad exe from Sys:C...it won't ever be used in a mint RuninUAE environment and will only cause troubles.

1) Check if you have a "RuninUAE" folder inside Sys:Emulation
--> If not, reinstall, because it's broken

2) Take a look in your Sys:Emulation/RuninUAE folder
There should be a subdir called "WB31", if not, step 1)

3) Enter "WB31" and open "C"
Look for WHDLoad, if it's in there, you are fine, if not, step 1)
(Because in a correctly installed RuninUAE environment, WHDLoad is already installed where it should be, no need to tinker with it afterwards)

4) Enter "WB31" again and open "S"
Here (and only here) you should copy your WHDload.key
("S" is the first dir WHDLoad looks for it's key, you know that it is properly installed when the nerv requesters go away and your name is displayed in WHDLoad's splash window)

5) Close the dirs and go back to Sys:Emulation/RuninUAE
Double-click the RuninUAE icon (the one with the checkmark ;-) )

A little app icon should pop up on your AmigaOS4 workbench screen.

6) Double-click that icon
(do *NOT* right-click, you'll get a crash due to a bug in app icon handling - already addressed or at least in the bug tracker)

7) The "main" RuninUAE window will pop up
Activate and right-click that window
Go to "Shared settings" --> Second from above
and "Set default screen size to" --> Second from above
Set it to "640x480 (slower but always supported)" --> Third from above

UNtick "Basic Workbench Mode" --> Fourth from above

Go to "Control E-UAE" --> last point in the list
Choose "Boot Workbench"

If the (3.1) Workbench comes up (either in a window, normally on another screen), you are all set

Now try with a game, but remember

You either have to start RuninUAE with WBStartup or don' t forget to start it BEFORE you start a 68k game, otherwise you'll run into troubles.
You can however set your games to automatically tell AmigaOS4 it wants to run through RuninUAE, but that's another lesson for another day ;-)

If you got any further questions, just shout.

P.S: With the key combination CTRL+AMIGA LEFT+Q you can quit the 3.1 workbench, and with CTRL+AMIGA LEFT+F1(2/3/4) you can insert (virtual) disks
There are more, but i can't remember them right now :-)

edit: Typos and readability
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
WeiXing3D

Re: Nightmare with SAM460ex & WHDLoad configuration

Post by WeiXing3D »

@Raziel

Thank you for your very detailed answer. Fortunately, and after trying many options, I managed to solve this problem with the help of NutsAboutAmiga in the AW forum. I uninstalled and re-installed RunINUAE and the problem was fixed. Now everything seems to be back to normal.

I just created a new thread about perhaps a more important and annoying problem that I'm having with my network connection. Perhpas you can help me with that too :)