Radeon RV710 memory...

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Nicsoft

Radeon RV710 memory...

Post by Nicsoft »

Is it possible to get AmigaOS 4.1 update 2 to recognize more than 256MB of memory on my 1GB Radeon RV710 (XFX HD 4550 graphics card)?
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Radeon RV710 memory...

Post by Hans »

Nicsoft wrote:Is it possible to get AmigaOS 4.1 update 2 to recognize more than 256MB of memory on my 1GB Radeon RV710 (XFX HD 4550 graphics card)?
No, it's not. The problem is that only 256 MiB is visible to the CPU over the PCIe/PCI bus; the rest is only accessible by the GPU. Since Picasso96 expects that the CPU can write directly to all VRAM, it can only use the VRAM that the CPU can access. The RadeonHD.chip driver currently uses a small portion of the extra VRAM as a temporary buffer for overlapped blits. I'm planning to enable Gallium-3D to use the additional VRAM, but that's still to do.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
Stephen Robinson
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Stephen Robinson »

Is this the same problem that Radeon 9250 cards have seeing only 128mb of the 256mb of ram?
Near at hand is your forgetting all; near, too, all forgetting you.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

Stephen Robinson wrote:Is this the same problem that Radeon 9250 cards have seeing only 128mb of the 256mb of ram?
No. Some of the Radeon 9xxx cards have the 256 MiB is split between a primary and secondary PCI device instead of leaving it as one block of RAM. That's a totally different problem.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

Stephen Robinson wrote:Is this the same problem that Radeon 9250 cards have seeing only 128mb of the 256mb of ram?
As Hans said, it's a different problem. We have tried to place both PCI apperatures so that they form a continuous block, but that doesn't work either. OTOH, I have a Radeon 9250 with 256 MB that has one apperature and that works fine.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore