SiI3114 on Sam 460 EX

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

SiI3114 on Sam 460 EX

Post by tonyw »

Due to the recent demise of the SiI3512 in my Sam 460, I have fitted an SiI3114 and connected my two drives to ports 0 and 1.

U-Boot times out trying to read ports 2 and 3. Is there a U-Boot variable that I can set to prevent it from trying to init drives 2 and 3?

In the old days on the A1 it would have been something like "IDE_MAXBUS = 2". Is there a corresponding variable for the Sam?
cheers
tony
Spectre660

Re: SiI3114 on Sam 460 EX

Post by Spectre660 »

Try

s4sii_maxbus=1
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

Spectre660 wrote:Try

s4sii_maxbus=1
I - Configuring sii3512ide through UBOOT envvars
================================================

Currently sii3512ide is configurable through the following UBOOT envvars :

- sii3512ide_verbose

Legal values are : set to anything makes the driver verbose at boot time.

Default if unset : driver silent.

- sii3512ide_maxbus

Legal values are : 0 (no SATA interface at all),
1 (only primary SATA interface), and
2 (both SATA interfaces)

Default : if you don't set this envvar, sii3512ide will use both SATA interfaces.

I - Configuring sii3114ide through UBOOT envvars
================================================

Currently sii3114ide is configurable through the following UBOOT envvars :

- sii3114ide_verbose

Legal values are : set to anything makes the driver verbose at boot time.

Default if unset : driver silent.

- sii3114ide_maxbus

Legal values are : 0 (no IDE interface at all),
1 (only primary IDE interface), and
2 (both IDE interfaces)

Default : if you don't set this envvar, sii3114ide will use both IDE interfaces.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

@Javier: I said U-Boot, not OS4.

@spectre: Thanks, that seems to be the right name to use.

Unfortunately, I can't find a suitable number for "s4sii_maxbus". My two devices (DVD and HDD) are connected to the two connectors on the end of the card (connectors 0 and 2). They appear in U-Boot as devices 0 and 1 respectively, and in OS4 as units 0 and 2. If I connect the HDD to either of the other two connectors (1 or 3), then U-Boot can't boot from it.

With s4sii not set at all, device 0 is the DVD, device 1 is the HDD and device 2 times out. U-Boot does not try to reset device 3.
If I set s4sii_maxbus to "1", then only the DVD is recognised and FLB can't find a boot device (naturally).
If I set s4sii_maxbus to "2", then the DVD is recognised, device "1" times out and device 2 becomes the HDD. The system boots OK, taking the same time as if s4sii_maxbus were not set at all. I don't know why the HDD changes from "device 1" to "device 2".
If I set s4sii_maxbus to "3", then it's the same as not setting it at all (naturally).

I think the only thing I can do is to leave s4sii_maxbus not set and set "ide_reset_timeout" to a short value, eg 2 seconds, until I can get to a flea market and buy a new 3512. Of course, I could always plug in another (old) drive for it to recognise as device 2. Hmm...
cheers
tony
yogi

Post by yogi »

Hi,

I have a sii3114 card in my AmigaOne 500. The settings I have for it are s4sii_maxbus=1, and boot1=s4siicdrom, and boot2=s4sii. What is strange about this card, is how the drives have to be connected. I have the DVD drive on port 0, but my hard drive is on port 2. For some reason, I could not get port 1 to work. I have had this setup running since I have owned the machine and it is stable.

On a side note, I wish acube would have put a sii3512 or sii3114 on the motherboard instead of what they went with. Other than that I love this computer.

Yogi
joerg

Post by joerg »

yogi wrote:I have a sii3114 card in my AmigaOne 500. The settings I have for it are s4sii_maxbus=1, and boot1=s4siicdrom, and boot2=s4sii. What is strange about this card, is how the drives have to be connected. I have the DVD drive on port 0, but my hard drive is on port 2. For some reason, I could not get port 1 to work. I have had this setup running since I have owned the machine and it is stable.
The old AmigaOne XE version of U-Boot only supported 2 ports of a sii3114 (the "master" drives, like the AmigaOS 4.x drivers it didn't use SATA directly but PATA emulation), and IIRC they are differently numbered in U-Boot and the AmigaOS 4.x drivers which makes it even harder to use the correct ports, on AmigaOS the ports which can be used by U-Boot are units 0 and 2 of sii3114ide.device. Maybe it changed in the Sam460 version of U-Boot, but I doubt it.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

No, the numbering is the same (wrong) order.
cheers
tony
joerg

Post by joerg »

tonyw wrote:No, the numbering is the same (wrong) order.
I didn't only mean the numbering, but the U-Boot sii3114 driver being limited to 2 ports. It's strange that it tries to access ports 2 and 3 if it doesn't support them anyway ...
Maybe the Sam460 U-Boot supports the sii3114ide_conf variable, although it's for the OS4 drivers, to disable ports and/or set a drive type. Or maybe s4sii_conf instead for U-Boot.

Edit: Something else to try: Set sii4_maxbus to 1 and swap your drives, ATAPI drives (DVD/CD) take much longer to respond after a reset than ATA ones (HDs), if U-Boot first accesses your HD on port 0 (U-Boot port number 0) that may be enough delay until it gets to port 1 checking the DVD drive.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

hmmm

I've just recently been using my sii3114 in both my X1000s and didn't add any settings or similair and it just goes whatever device I plug in, of course I'm not trying to boot from it.

It's quite handy being able to use more than 4 SATA devices, is there actually a recommended SATA card we can get for our latest machines which has been deemed pick of the bunch? Don't mean to derails the thread :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

The X-1000s use CFE which is much more recent thatn U-Boot. I guess CFE supports all four ports while U-Boot only supports two on some platforms.

Haven't yet tried out Joerg's latest suggestions. Maybe in the morning.
cheers
tony