Cache Clean Function Odyssey

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
lozspd4

Cache Clean Function Odyssey

Post by lozspd4 »

Good Day All
Hoping Someone can Help me here.

I,m using the latest Odyssey on my AmigaOne 500, but have noticed Odyssey is getting slower after a while, So im was trying to find the Cache flush function but to no avail, Does it have such a function on it like iBrowse.

Many Thanks in Advance
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Cache Clean Function Odyssey

Post by nbache »

I don't think Odyssey has any cache at all for regular web content.

Probably what you're seeing is your history getting too big, or maybe your webpageicons database.

Have a look in you conf subdirectory inside the main Odyssey directory, and try renaming one of those .db files, just to check if that makes a difference (you can always rename it back if you realize you can't live without the contents of either one).

Best regards,

Niels
joerg

Post by joerg »

nbache wrote:Probably what you're seeing is your history getting too big, or maybe your webpageicons database.

Have a look in you conf subdirectory inside the main Odyssey directory, and try renaming one of those .db files, just to check if that makes a difference (you can always rename it back if you realize you can't live without the contents of either one).
One of the last bug fixes I did in OWB, after the sand-labs servers were shut down already and therefore it couldn't be copied by the Odyssey author any more, was regular clean-up (VACUUM) of the SQL data bases, especially the cookie data base could get huge and extremely slow without it (the favicon data base as well, but not that bad). Try deleting the cookie database (you will have to relogin to all accounts if you do), and if that doesn't help the favicon database as well (not required at all, it's just a cache).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

joerg wrote:regular clean-up (VACUUM) of the SQL data bases, especially the cookie data base could get huge and extremely slow without it (the favicon data base as well, but not that bad).
With this?

http://www.sqlite.org/lang_vacuum.html

Sounds like a good idea, if an SQLite database needs help with that - I'm an Oracle/MySQL/SQLServer guy myself (in descending order of acquaintance and affection ;-)), so it's not something I'm used to having to bother about.

Looks like it is mainly a matter of reclaiming space after deletions, and reorganizing nodes into contiguous space. I'm guessing it's the deletion of expired cookies which is the main cause here.

I wonder if it is implemented in the WebKit code by now or has to be implemented into each derived browser, such as Odyssey? Doesn't sound like a very hard thing to do.

Best regards,

Niels
joerg

Post by joerg »

Yes.
Looks like it is mainly a matter of reclaiming space after deletions, and reorganizing nodes into contiguous space. I'm guessing it's the deletion of expired cookies which is the main cause here.
The different expire times and sizes of the cookies, most of it are strings (domain name, cookie name, cookie content), causes fragmentation.
I wonder if it is implemented in the WebKit code by now or has to be implemented into each derived browser, such as Odyssey?
WebKit is just a HTML layout engine, everything else has to be implemented in a web browser using it. The SQLite cookie database was implemented by pleyo/sand-labs as part of their OWBAL.
lozspd4

Post by lozspd4 »

Hallo All
Many thanks, i carryed out the changes which you imformed me to Change, and it was the history Cache that was causing the Problem so i renamed it, and OWB was at it normal Speed again.

I was thinking of doing this in the first place but wasn,t quiet sure i would thrash OWB, My Motto ist always better to ask first, again many THANKS to you both.

Regards Laurence
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

lozspd4 wrote:I was thinking of doing this in the first place but wasn,t quiet sure i would thrash OWB, My Motto ist always better to ask first, again many THANKS to you both.
Good you found the culprit.

In general, all those "*.db" files in conf can be deleted and will just be recreated from scratch. Personally, if in doubt, I would always just try renaming or moving one of them away and see if everything still works. If not, it's easy to copy it back in place.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

joerg wrote:WebKit is just a HTML layout engine, everything else has to be implemented in a web browser using it. The SQLite cookie database was implemented by pleyo/sand-labs as part of their OWBAL.
Right, thanks for clearing that up (now I do remember hearing it before). So in the case of Odyssey it (the vacuum'ing) would have to be implemented by Fab and/or kas1e.

Best regards,

Niels
K-L

Post by K-L »

Hello,

As fas as I know, Fab explained to me that there is some kind of flush after some time (I've already experienced it : hard disk works a lot and then Odyssey is fast again).
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition