Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
AndyGarton

Re: Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

Post by AndyGarton »

Just to finish this for future searchers: ACube confirmed a CPU fan is required on the Sam460Ex. The one they supply is modified to 5V with the aim of it being quieter. For whatever reason mine was still noisy (high pitched whine), but once I replaced it with something better the noise is bearable (about the same level as my X1000).
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I also have several HD5450 cards (passively cooled) and I find that they run VERY hot when the card is mounted horizontally and the heatsink is underneath. In a Sam 460 it's even worse because of the SATA card right beside it.

I have in my 460 a small CPU fan running at 5 V (not 12) just pointing at the gfx card. It's quiet and keeps it nicely cool, even in Sydney summers. Part of the breeze flows past the CPU and is quite sufficient.

You might find that running your fan from 5 V is quite enough and it will last for ever that way.
Attachments
Sam460.jpg
cheers
tony
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Didn't see anyone mention system Ram. There is a program on Depot called memtester. This program can be run overnight & will test your RAM stick(s). Its a good idea to verify your memory is not causing any problems instead of heat.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Steady

Post by Steady »

@thread

FYI, I also just got a SAM460cr and have the SATA card and Radeon right next to each other. I get about 10 minutes use before lockup ... unless I take the side of the case off and lie it down, so definitely a heat issue. That card does seem to get REAL HOT and there is little circulation between the cards.

I will try a fan blowing directly on the card too.

P.S. I'm in Melbourne, Aus so it can get warm here too.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

My longterm solution for heat issues with graphics card + ability to use dual slot cards .
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... 649#p30113
Steady wrote:@thread

FYI, I also just got a SAM460cr and have the SATA card and Radeon right next to each other. I get about 10 minutes use before lockup ... unless I take the side of the case off and lie it down, so definitely a heat issue. That card does seem to get REAL HOT and there is little circulation between the cards.

I will try a fan blowing directly on the card too.

P.S. I'm in Melbourne, Aus so it can get warm here too.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Steady

Post by Steady »

Thanks for the tips Spectre660. I will look into it.

However, I have an update that can help others.

The CPU is what was overheating. Although it had a heatsink/fan provided, the sticky stuff used to attach them to the CPU does not seem to conduct the heat very well. I took the sticker off and applied thermal paste and all works well now ... no lockups so definitely happy with that.

Now I just need a way to keep the heatsink/cpu on when at a 90 degree angle. At the moment I have left my case on the side.