Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
AndyGarton

Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

Post by AndyGarton »

Hi guys,

I'm setting up my new Sam system, which came pre-installed with 4.1.6. I'm using a Radeon HD5450 graphics card and the "Monitors" tab of the screen mode prefs program was greyed out, so I couldn't select the "detect monitor settings" option, and hence was limited to 1024x768.

I thought I'd be "clever" and try copying the "Radeon" driver from Storage/Monitos to Devs/Monitors (which only contained "PCIGraphics" as it came), but unfortunately now when I reboot Workbench just displays a grey screen with "Workbench Screen" at the top. Any ideas how to fix this please? I know how to skip the startup sequence and get to the shell, but I don't know what to do there. I moved the Radeon driver (file and icon) back to Storage, but that didn't help.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Andy
AndyGarton

Re: Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

Post by AndyGarton »

Small progress via using "set echo on" in the startup sequence - it hangs during the "IPrefs" command.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Success, ish! I renamed screenmode.prefs to screenmode.X and it boots in to WB ok again.

So now I'm back to the first problem - how to be able to use proper screen modes with my HD5450.

EDIT - actually I can't start the screenmode prefs at all now, nothing happens when I double click it. Argh!

EDIT 2 - when I reboot again it locks in IPrefs again.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Re your Original issue : Do yo know if you have the full RadeonHD driver installed or the Lite version ?
The so far unreleased lite version only does 1024x768 .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Unsure, I've already emailed ACube to ask. AOS itself is 4.1 update 6 but I don't know the details of the graphics driver - it is just called "Radeon" in the Monitors drawer.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Latest status btw is that it's random whether IPrefs hangs or not. If it doesn't hang I then can't start basically anything from WB - double clicking an icon does nothing. The shell works ok though.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Normally you would boot from your OS4.1 CD or the included SD Card to correct the problem . But unless the RadeonHD driver on either one is version 0.55 or higher then it wont work with your graphics card. If you motherboard is a Sam460ex and not the Sam460cr then you could use the onboard graphics card and boot from the AmigaOS4.1 CD or SD card .
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks, I'd love to do that but unfortunately I didn't receive either disc or SD card - apparently Hyperion asked/told ACube not to send me one with the order, but to wait for the FE disc instead. I asked them for an ISO but was told they wasn't possible. It's not ideal to be honest as I paid the "old" price for the board so should have received 4.1 (non-FE).
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Well, I've been told (by ACube) that I actually purchased an FE license, so just have to wait. I'm very sure that wasn't what was advertised however (I got the last 460ex), although I know the description has since been updated. Oh well.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

As you are in a unique situation it would be better to wait for an official solution from either Acube or Hyperion .