Single slot graphics cards?

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
HKvalhe

Re: Single slot graphics cards?

Post by HKvalhe »

Spectre660 wrote:A riser card like that is just an extension cable so I am sure that the problem is a loose connection or incorrect uboot setting.
I have no problems with the new Uboot and my PCIE riser .
Worth checking out. Good thing there is always a solution to find :) This answer will help everyone having problems.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Interrogative

Post by Interrogative »

Spectre660 wrote:A riser card like that is just an extension cable so I am sure that the problem is a loose connection or incorrect uboot setting.
I checked the connections from the riser to PCI and riser to 3114 card. I tried unplugging and plugging the riser back in. Perhaps there is a loose connection on one of the parts of the riser boards (my riser has board parts between the connections).
Motherboard: SAM460ex lite @1017 MHz 2 GB DDR2 SOLD
PCIe 4x: XFX Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1 GB SOLD
PCI: SYBA SY-SA3512-2R 2 Port SATA SOLD
PCIe 1x: Vantec UGT-S110 7.1 Audio SOLD
Interrogative

Post by Interrogative »

Interrogative wrote:
I checked the connections from the riser to PCI and riser to 3114 card. I tried unplugging and plugging the riser back in. Perhaps there is a loose connection on one of the parts of the riser boards (my riser has board parts between the connections).
I forgot to post what happened. The last time I tried my riser card along with the 3114, I started smelling an electronic burning smell. I immediately turned off the Sam460. I took out the 3114 and riser card. The riser card was fried. I plugged the 3114 card back in. Fortunately the 3114 card still works. If I replace my HD 4830 with a dual slot graphics card, I'll have to get another riser.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Fortunately the 3114 card still works.
Even MORE fortunately, the Sam mobo still works !!

Any idea what caused the riser to die? Were components on it shorting against something else?

I know it's a silly question and I hope you won't be offended, but you didn't plug/unplug it with the computer in standby (power connected but not running) ?
cheers
tony
Interrogative

Post by Interrogative »

No offense taken. As with any delicate electronic operation, I use poff (powering off). I then switch off the PSU from the back. I hit the power button on the front of the case to drain any residual juice. Then, if I am thinking about it, I put on an antistatic wrist strap.

I am not sure what happened to the riser card. Perhaps with all of the plugging and unplugging, at some point I may have not been wearing my antistatic wrist strap. (I confess, I do not always wear one. Shame on me.)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I don't even own one. But then, I've been handling static-sensitive devices for nearly 50 years, so I instinctively pick things up in a safe manner. I did blow up a FET once, but that was back around 1970.

In practice, it's pretty hard to damage something that is soldered into a circuit. All the componenta around it help to absorb and share any shocks.

It's quite possible that the riser card failed through no fault of yours at all.
cheers
tony
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

Simple question: what graphic card do i need (SAM460 ex presently with a HD 6450 graphic card) to have full screen You tube video working nicely?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I don't think the type of GFX card is going to make much difference. Your limitations are more to do with the video replay software and the Radeon driver.
cheers
tony
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I think that the limitation is the cpu's decoding of the video. MP4 is a problem for the Sam460ex's cpu in the AmigaOS 4.1 implemetation of the video players. Under LInux on the Sam460ex Mplayer can stream a 360p mp4 in windowed mode. No full screen though.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =40#p34565
tonyw wrote:I don't think the type of GFX card is going to make much difference. Your limitations are more to do with the video replay software and the Radeon driver.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card