AmigaOS 4.1 Final causes freeze with some programs

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
HKvalhe

AmigaOS 4.1 Final causes freeze with some programs

Post by HKvalhe »

I happen to experience some freezes with AmigaOS 4.1 Final on my AmigaOne 500.

Sometimes when running the ScreenBlanker preference for a short while, exiting it can cause the OS to freeze and a hard reset would be neccessary.

Other programs that can experience problems are the old OctaMED SoundStudio V1.0.3c. It did however work just fine with AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6, but not so well in AmigaOS 4.1 Final. Wonder why.

The ScummVM can now and then cause a GR message, and when trying to ignore it, the system freezes and a hard reset has to happen. But ScummVM often works, actually.

I find this kind of behaviour of AmigaOS 4.1 Final strange. Can't find the reason why it does. Is AmigaOS 4.1 Final sacrifying some compatibility because of new features?
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Benny

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Final causes freeze with some programs

Post by Benny »

HKvalhe wrote:I happen to experience some freezes with AmigaOS 4.1 Final on my AmigaOne 500.

Sometimes when running the ScreenBlanker preference for a short while, exiting it can cause the OS to freeze and a hard reset would be neccessary.

Other programs that can experience problems are the old OctaMED SoundStudio V1.0.3c. It did however work just fine with AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6, but not so well in AmigaOS 4.1 Final. Wonder why.

The ScummVM can now and then cause a GR message, and when trying to ignore it, the system freezes and a hard reset has to happen. But ScummVM often works, actually.

I find this kind of behaviour of AmigaOS 4.1 Final strange. Can't find the reason why it does. Is AmigaOS 4.1 Final sacrifying some compatibility because of new features?
To me the FE has a lot less GR's then Release 6 so far. Sometimes only a grim reaper when inserting a stick in my front USB connector, then after a while my whole system freezes...
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

Do you have more than 1 GFX card installed?
That might currently be the root of your problems.

I suggest for testing to temporarily remove your second GFX card and report back here.

Thanks,
nexus
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

nexus wrote:Do you have more than 1 GFX card installed?
That might currently be the root of your problems.

I suggest for testing to temporarily remove your second GFX card and report back here.

Thanks,
nexus
I only have ONE graphic card, and it's a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCIe graphic board. Never had such problems in AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6. Some say that there are some minor bugs within the AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition itself.

@Benny

Several users have reported various issues with AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition. While it provides a couple of brand new features, there also seem to be issues as well.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio