Keyboard and mouse problem

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
SOFISTISOFTWARE

Re: Keyboard and mouse problem

Post by SOFISTISOFTWARE »

on my Sam460 when the mouse or the keyboard doesn't work anymore i unplug/plug the usb receiver of my logitech combo and they restart to work, there are some problems in usb stack or in its hid/bootkeyboard/bootmouse classes, it was better use the Poseidon stack instead develop new one, one usb stack for all amiga platforms
Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250E, OS4.1 FE
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

I'm also having USB keyboard and mouse issues since installing Update 3 on my Sam460ex. I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo through an IOGear KVM manual switch. I've been using this keyboard/mouse/switch setup for quite some time on Update 2 without any issues. Ok, that's not entirely true. I had some minor issues but since Update 3, I now have MAJOR issues.

Update 2 Issues:

Having now done more extensive testing off the Update 2 boot CD, I now realize that my mouse didn't work properly when booting without Startup-Sequence. I didn't notice this before since I rarely boot with no Startup-Sequence and, when I do, I'm usually just using the keyboard.

In Update 2, after booting without with the Startup-Sequence, the keyboard works fine but the mouse pointer only moves vertically. Interestingly, the vertical movement seems tied to the horizontal movement of the physical mouse. Holding down a mouse button will cause the mouse pointer to move horizontally to the right of the screen (always right, never left) but only when the mouse is physically moved. The middle mouse button seems to accelerate the horizontal movement.

After running "USBCtrl START", the mouse works perfectly (which is why I never even noticed it until now).

This behavior is the same regardless of the USB port used or if I remove the KVM switch entirely.

Update 3 issues:

The mouse behavior after booting with no Startup-Sequence is identical but, instead of "USBCtrl START" fixing things, it makes it worse.
The following is what happens after a regular bootup (ie. after USBCtrl is started)

Without the KVM switch, the mouse and keyboard are not recognized at all. However, if I unplug and replug the wireless keyboard/mouse receiver, AmigaOS will usually recognize it and then everything works great. However, sometimes I'll need to make several attempts at replugging it before it is recognized and, occasionally, in the process, the machine will completely lock up, forcing a hard reboot.

With the KVM switch, it's impossible to get it to work. If I unplug and replug the switch, the "HUB" will be recognized but not the mouse or keyboard. The system recognizes that "something" else is connected to the switch but it reports that the "attachment failed". Sometimes it will recognize the "Logitech USB Receiver" but then the mouse seems locked with the left mouse button down and can only move vertically. (Usually this means all I can do is drag the Workbench screen up and down as titlebar gets "selected"). I think the keyboard might work as I can use the "Amiga" keys with the up and down arrow keys to control the mouse but I can't do anything else. (Well, I can also do CTRL-A-A and, in case you're wondering, a warm reboot doesn't change anything.) If I unplug and replug the switch or mouse a second time, I usually lock the machine.

Another interesting thing is that this behavior is the same regardless if I replug the switch or USB receiver, even if the USB Receiver is not connected to the switch. (ie. If I have the USB receiver plugged DIRECTLY into a USB port, it does NOT behave like it does without the KVM switch so long as the KVM switch is still plugged in to another port.)

Kicklayout:

I've tried changing the kicklayout to comment out the boot#?.usbfd lines and put in the "MODULE Kickstart/hid.usbfd" at the very end of the file just like ChrisH recommended in another thread but then my system won't boot at all. It complains that it can't find "Kickstart/hid.usbfd" (and rightly so as I can't find it either; nowhere on my harddrive, OS4 Install CD, or Update 3 archive).

Unfortunately, the only workaround I've found is to disable USB2 by commenting out "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd". Due to my crowded office and empty wallet, it's not feasible for me to use a second monitor or replace my wireless keyboard and mouse or KVM switch. So, for the time being, I'm going to have to continue to live without USB2 support until someone can help me work out these issues.

P.S. - I do have several USB.log files saved under various conditions if anyone is interested in looking at them.
Last edited by mpiva on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

mpiva wrote: I've tried changing the kicklayout to comment out the boot#?.usbfd lines and put in the "MODULE Kickstart/hid.usbfd" at the very end of the file just like ChrisH recommended in another thread but then my system won't boot at all. It complains that it can't find "Kickstart/hid.usbfd" (and rightly so as I can't find it either; nowhere on my harddrive, OS4 Install CD, or Update 3 archive).
The file can be found in DEVS:USB/fd/hid.usbfd.
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

ZeroG wrote: The file can be found in DEVS:USB/fd/hid.usbfd.
Thanks. I tried reactivating "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd", re-disabling boot#?.usbfd and changed that last line to "MODULE Devs/USB/fd/hid.usbfd" This time, the kickstart loaded up fine but the mouse and keyboard still won't work. Unplugging and replugging still results in "Attachment failed".
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

mpiva wrote:
ZeroG wrote: The file can be found in DEVS:USB/fd/hid.usbfd.
Thanks. I tried reactivating "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd", re-disabling boot#?.usbfd and changed that last line to "MODULE Devs/USB/fd/hid.usbfd" This time, the kickstart loaded up fine but the mouse and keyboard still won't work. Unplugging and replugging still results in "Attachment failed".
While this should probably work, the usual way is to move the hid.usbfd module from DEVS:USB/fd/ to SYS:Kickstart/ when you enter a reference to it in your Kicklayout.

Try that, just in case.

Also, it shouldn't be necessary to disable the boot#?.usbfd modules, they should automatically be thrown out by the others after the full stack becomes active.

Best regards,

Niels
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

nbache wrote:While this should probably work, the usual way is to move the hid.usbfd module from DEVS:USB/fd/ to SYS:Kickstart/ when you enter a reference to it in your Kicklayout.

Try that, just in case.

Also, it shouldn't be necessary to disable the boot#?.usbfd modules, they should automatically be thrown out by the others after the full stack becomes active.
Ok, I copied the file over and tried it both with the boot#?.usbfd modules enabled and with them disabled. Either way, there was no change.

Also, I tried disabling EHCI again but left the hid.usbfd module enabled and found that I get the condition where the mouse only moves vertically with the left mouse button locked down.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

nbache wrote:Also, it shouldn't be necessary to disable the boot#?.usbfd modules, they should automatically be thrown out by the others after the full stack becomes active.
Ha, "should" is the right word :) since that does not seem to happen in many cases. Some people had problems with their keyboard & mouse not working after Update 3... because they were using a hub, and bootkeyboard/mouse don't seem to like hubs now (not they ever worked for me).

(So there are two bugs - one is bootkbd/mouse not switching over, and two is they don't work with (most?) hubs.)
1mouse

Post by 1mouse »

mpiva wrote:
nbache wrote:While this should probably work, the usual way is to move the hid.usbfd module from DEVS:USB/fd/ to SYS:Kickstart/ when you enter a reference to it in your Kicklayout.

Try that, just in case.

Ok, I copied the file over and tried it both with the boot#?.usbfd modules enabled and with them disabled. Either way, there was no change.

Also, I tried disabling EHCI again but left the hid.usbfd module enabled and found that I get the condition where the mouse only moves vertically with the left mouse button locked down.
I am having the same problem, I have tried amending kicklayout, boot#?.usbfd commented and uncommented, adding the hid.usbfd and am only using the USB on my Sam440ep OS4.1.3 and not a hub.

My computer boots but only displays RAM: and WORK: partitions, Workbench partition not shown. My mouse and keyboard are totally unresponsive.

I have tried booting without startup-sequence and both my mouse and keyboard work fine, so what in my startup-sequence could cause the lockup.

P.S. my mouse and keyboard are A-Eon ones
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

1mouse wrote: I have tried booting without startup-sequence and both my mouse and keyboard work fine, so what in my startup-sequence could cause the lockup.
Boot without startup-sequence and then type "USBCtrl START". I bet you that's what's causing your mouse and keyboard to lockup.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

mpiva wrote:I've tried changing the kicklayout to comment out the boot#?.usbfd lines and put in the "MODULE Kickstart/hid.usbfd" at the very end of the file just like ChrisH recommended in another thread but then my system won't boot at all. It complains that it can't find "Kickstart/hid.usbfd" (and rightly so as I can't find it either; nowhere on my harddrive, OS4 Install CD, or Update 3 archive).
Please note that I recently fixed my instructions, so my post is now correct.